59/09 love

sleary

Just like the title says lol

I sure do love the set that's in my cu24 ....great sounding and very versatile.

My dgt however is getting some bkp lol.....

My cu24 has em and I love them. IMHO these could be the best pickups ever made. I put a 5909 squabbin bridge in my McCarty, really woke up that guitar. It now reminds me of an old LP a friend of mine used to have.

Both my SCs have them. Although one of them has a 57/08 in the neck. They really are excellent pickups.

They are good. I think I might be a little more partial to 57/08s though as my favorite PRS pickup - I kinda dig the ones that came in my CU24 (in my avatar). The 53/10s didn't do it for me at all. The 59/09s were great but maybe just a little too hot for me. The 57/08s to my ear have the most top end bite and sparkly treble. I love high end and the more of it I can get the better. I dig a chimey-meets-twangy clean tone and a really bright sizzley dirt tone. I'm probably the only guy that likes the sound of a Twin Reverb on 2 or 3 and treble on 7 with the bright switch on with an OD/distortion box in front of it. I should say though I tried the 53/10s and 59/09s in other guitars, not my CU24 so that I'm sure plays a part in it.

I have been really contemplating installing a pair of uncovered 59/09s from PRS store in my new S2 Singlecut. I do like a pickup that is a little hotter.

I can relate. I ordered bkp for my dgt but debating on cancelling them and going with either 59/09's or M pickups....

I am curious to know what kind of music you all mostly play that you like the 59-09s. I ask, because maybe I am missing something. I like a clean sound and dig the PRS 7's the most. Right on their tail is the 53-10s and 57-08s. I have a C24 with 59-09s and I too find them a little hot. I lowered them down alot and that helped in a lot of ways for different reasons and songs and stuff, but I find them still a little hot from what I thought they would be.

Audie-- One thing I found is with pickups even CLEAN I do not like warm pick ups. they always lack clarity especially in neck. One of the best pick ups I ever had for clean tone was a Gibson Explorer with their ceramic 500T and 498? T in neck. was not harsh but very clear. I had an 02 LP with burst buckers and hated the muddy tone in the neck. I like an almost acoustic like snap to my clean tone-- plus for me I could do with out a tone knob as I pretty much always leave it full on. To me rolling it off makes everything muddy. I am not what you would call a lead player but more rhythm and articulate rhythm player and I like crisp clean tone even in my OD. The #7 in my S2 are plenty hot but lack the clarity I like in the neck. when playing walk down notes like on Low e it is very muddy. NOTE I play acoustic a lot so I kinda like that feel or tone to come through in electrics. MOST all videos from PRS with Rett smith I can not stand, tone way to dark and muddy and no clarity. Usually tone like that gets lost in a band mix and easy to hide sloppy playing.

I like an extremely clean tome on the neck, much like the 59/09 neck pickup. I find my dgt neck pickup very warm and even a little muddy. Fast forwarding to my prs s2 with emg James hetfeild set, the neck pickup there is warm, organic and powerful. In my mind the jh set and 59/09 set are what I love the most in a neck pickup . I do a lot of metal however I do play a lot of clean and overdriven tones ....blues,jazz and even dab in to a little country.

I haven't tried the 57/08 set but keep hearing great things about them. The 53/10's really didn't do it for me when I tried a few Prs's out. I always say though, try eqing the amp a little to tame a hot pickup down before you go ripping pickups out.

Maybe if you don't like your 59/09's, we can swap for my pair of DGT's lol.....

Back