59-09 bridge pickup

Summer

So you all helped me decide on this pickup for my 594 so thank you. I purchased the treble 59/09 and took it to my luthier who is fantastic. He took it apart, looked at the wiring and closed it back up. He said the guitar is killer (duh) and that he wouldn't f... with it. Apparently the installation of swapping the 58/15 LT is quite different than the 59/09 wiring and he was afraid it would affect the coil split. Thoughts on this appreciated. I'm warming up to these LT pickups but really want the bridge hotter. Suggestions, thoughts? thank you.

They definitely do have different wires. I've seen plenty of PS builds with 58/15LTs neck and 59/09 combo.

I would email PRS Customer Service and ask them. I kept my 58/15LTs together

They definitely do have different wires. I've seen plenty of PS builds with 58/15LTs neck and 59/09 combo.

I would email PRS Customer Service and ask them. I kept my 58/15LTs together

I’ll do that tomorrow. Thanks for suggestion.
I play thru an AX8 so can make these LT’s scream a bit, was just thinking of swapping.
Part of me says don’t screw with the PRS, leave it alone.

How are you liking yours?
Wish they’d sell 58/15’s.
Thanks again.

I absolutely love my LTs, I put them in a Singlecut Trem and they sound fantastic.

I've seen the regular 58/15's for sale every once in awhile on Reverb. I've thought about picking a set up, but I don't really think I need to mess with my setup anymore than I already have.

I play through my Kemper exclusively and the LTs don't disappoint at all.

I absolutely love my LTs, I put them in a Singlecut Trem and they sound fantastic.

I've seen the regular 58/15's for sale every once in awhile on Reverb. I've thought about picking a set up, but I don't really think I need to mess with my setup anymore than I already have.

I play through my Kemper exclusively and the LTs don't disappoint at all.

That’s where I’m leaning. Like my luthier said, killer guitar I wouldn’t mess with. My Fractal like your Kemper and kick out just about anything. Thanks again.

You're welcome. If you had a different one with the same wiring or you were going to replace both pickups it would be a lot easier.

My Custom 24 has a 57/08 neck with 59/09 bridge, great combo!

I’ve got 85/15’s in my Custom 22.
Probably my favorite of all.
I’ll stick with these and maybe throw in a pair of 15/85’s whenever they come out.
Appreciate it.

There should be a wiring diagram available- I swapped a 57/08 bridge for the 58/15LT on a 594 PS with no trouble in the past (sold it to fund another purchase). I do prefer a 59/09 in the bridge fo that model, though my remaining DC594 is still stock 58/15LTs.

I use a Kemper BTW.

Do you have any major concerns with the 58/15 LT's? Do you have multiple guitars with the 58/15 LT's?

If the answer is no to either, then why change? Can some changes in the settings of gear you have help with any issues you have? Personally I buy guitars because of the way they sound, feel, play and look - if any of those things are not quite right, I don't buy but that's my philosophy and not everyones. I own both a solid double cut 594 and a Hollowbody II - both with the 58/15 LT's fitted and both sound amazing to me. The 594 has the option to split the Pups whilst the HBii can add the Piezo in but I have no issues with either guitar.

Like you, I have a guitar with the 85/15's as well except mine are in the Custom 24. My PRS Special 22 Semi-Hollow has the 58/15 MT's and these both suit the pick-ups. In fact I can't think of any PRS in the current range that I think the PU's are perhaps slightly 'wrong' or could be better - no doubt PRS may find some way to better these as they continuously strive for perfection.

What helped me was hearing the story or knowing the history, where a 'guitar' was placed - not just in terms of features but also the era they are trying to evoke, what the 'spirit' of them was. Paul often talked about playing a 58 Les Paul for example and when he realised that none of the people had played a 58 LP, their only experience coming from re-issues and realising that the cost and rarity to find one that was 'good' would mean that none would ever get to play something like that, that's were the 594 was born but with modern PRS build quality and features like coil splitting and locking tuners. The Pattern Vintage neck and LT PU's were also introduced so knowing that the guitar was built evoke that spirit, you can see why those PU's work. Its similar to the Silver Sky and delivering a 63/64 Strat (albeit because that's what John Mayer wanted). That nailed that era and again cannot buy a 63/64 strat at that price with the consistency and quality so is much more accessible to all.

The Custom 22/24 guitars are more modern and why the 85/15's fit them well. I know not everyone wants a LP type to be more vintage sounding and want some different pups - each to their own and as its their instrument, their choice. There is the 'if it ain't broke...' but also there is the 'don't know until you try it' too. At least if you do try it, you can easily change it back if it doesn't work out for you. If you can't do it for yourself, the only thing you will lose is money - paying someone else to swap it out (and back again if you are not happy).

There should be a wiring diagram available- I swapped a 57/08 bridge for the 58/15LT on a 594 PS with no trouble in the past (sold it to fund another purchase). I do prefer a 59/09 in the bridge fo that model, though my remaining DC594 is still stock 58/15LTs.

I use a Kemper BTW.

Interesting. Just curious, why you’re keeping LT’s in 594 if you really liked the 57/08’s ? Why not drop a 59/09 in your DC594?
Thanks

I had one of Brian’s Guiatrs WL 594 with the 59/09 in the bridge, and loved it. The only 594 I have now is the P90 version. When I get another 594 i will put a 59/09 in the bridge.

Interesting. Just curious, why you’re keeping LT’s in 594 if you really liked the 57/08’s ? Why not drop a 59/09 in your DC594?
Thanks
After several years of empirical research (trying several guitars and neck wood / pickup type combinations) my ‘home’ is short scale SC guitars with RW necks where I use 59/09 pickups.

The DC594 with the LT pickups was a gift from my wife and that guitar has some serious mojo so I kept it stock.

The second one had a Braz neck and I found the LT bridge a bit underpowered with it so I tried the 57/08 in it. After a while I sold it for a different guitar which eventually led to my PS build -a P245T with a PV neck carve (avatar) with a full Braz neck and 59/09s.

If I were to buy another 594, I would put a 59/09 in the bridge without hesitation.

I have other PRS guitars with 57/08s (P22 with a Pernie neck) and 53/10s (Koa body and Braz neck) and I like them with those wood configurations.

Last edited:
I got the idea from Brians Guitars. He ordered them from the factory that way but maybe he could coach me as to how to get the 59/09’s installed. My Luthier here is incredible and he didn’t want to touch it.
Would like to find a way.
Thanks much.
Appreciate it.

I got the idea from Brians Guitars. He ordered them from the factory that way but maybe he could coach me as to how to get the 59/09’s installed. My Luthier here is incredible and he didn’t want to touch it.
Would like to find a way.
Thanks much.
Appreciate it.
Worst case, send the guitar to PTC and they will install it for you. I say worse because you’ll need to mail the guitar and go without it longer.

59/09 in the bridge is the ultimate for versatility and just awesome for blues and rock. My favorite prs pickup of the ones I’ve tried. Hope you find a way to get it in there!

Hope everyone is safe from Dorian. That was a brutal ride here in Florida, blood pressure just coming down. Went on for a week. Hate it.
The good news is I played guitar alot cuz we were stuck inside. :cool:
Thanks all for your input. Goal is to keep LT's in neck and get those 59/09's in bridge. Nice suggestion of sending to PRS tech support which I'll do if it comes to that. Good news is I have my P Stock and Custom 24 as well as my Tele so plenty to play while she's gone. We'll see what happens. Love the feel, look and playability of the 594, just want a little extra in that bridge. Thanks again.

I use a Kemper BTW.

I just can't understand why my Luthier is so worried about swapping it out and again, this guys is excellent and really knows his stuff. He just said he didn't feel comfortable and said " I'd leave it alone and not f... with it" but I know it can be done. I emailed PRS tech support yesterday but have not heard back. Would really like to have that 59/09 in the bridge.
Thanks for your help.

I just can't understand why my Luthier is so worried about swapping it out and again, this guys is excellent and really knows his stuff. He just said he didn't feel comfortable and said " I'd leave it alone and not f... with it" but I know it can be done. I emailed PRS tech support yesterday but have not heard back. Would really like to have that 59/09 in the bridge.
Thanks for your help.

I respect that he was honest, but it's not hard to work out. Would've only taken him a minute with a multimeter.

Bare is shield. Black and white are your start/finish wires, and red is the tap wire. If he can't take it from there, find someone who is more competent with electronics.

Back