58/15's VS 59/09's in a SC-250

Jmango

Looking for a little guidance folks...

I scored a set of 58/15'sreently through a lucky turn of events. As such, I am contemplating putting them into my
SC-250. A little back story on the SC-250 is that I always wanted a singlecut guitar by PRS so I bought a beautiful SC-250 as it seemed to have all of the bells and whistles I was looking for. I got it (bought it cross country) and played it for some time. Loved the fit /feel of it but HATED the stock SC pickups – way too hot. I wound up getting a set of 59/09’s and putting those into it and BAM! Loved the guitar – it became the PRS style Les Paul I always wanted. Sounds unreal in every imaginable way. Since I have a CU-24 loaded with 59/09s already and I just scored these 58/15’s, I was kicking around the idea of putting them into the SC-250 for a change up.

The problem is that last year, I scored a set of 85/15’s right at the time that I got a mint CE-24 – which I put the 85/15’s into. I thought it was going to be a match made in heaven, but it wasn’t. I tried every adjustment, but just could not bond with them. The guitar sounded lifeless to me. Could have been the guitar, could have been the 85/15’s, could have been my ears… It just wasn’t for me. Strange because I LOVE 57/08’s, 53/10’s and 59/09’s…

Anyhow, wanted to get thoughts of 58/15’s in an SC-250 opposed to the 59/09’s currently loaded. Also wanted to get a sanity check on trying 58/15’s out for a test run given my history of not really liking the 85/15’s…

Thanks folks! Any thoughts shared are appreciated.

It's not like you can never go back to the 59/09's. Try it, if you don't like it, put the 59's back and move the 58's.

It's not like you can never go back to the 59/09's. Try it, if you don't like it, put the 59's back and move the 58's.

Totally agree. Would love to get some user experience prior to surgery... :)

I have no personal experience, BUT, since 58s and 85s are the same pups I dont know why you would like them. I guess you never know though.
However, if you dont like them and want to unload them, lemme know. I am interested.

I have no personal experience, BUT, since 58s and 85s are the same pups I dont know why you would like them. I guess you never know though.
However, if you dont like them and want to unload them, lemme know. I am interested.

Definitely noted on the interest - thanks. I am willing to give them a second shot because ppl rave about them and i just might have gotten a dud of a guitar... Can't wait to try them tho...

I totally hear you on the stock SC250 pups. I stupidly sold a killer satin SC250 when I should have swapped out the high output pups for something more my style. If 59/09s would have been around, that would have been choice.

Try the 58s and see what you think. It's an easy swap, and you just never know.

My covered 53/10s are on ebay, if you want to go that route

My covered 53/10s are on ebay, if you want to go that route

Got a P22 with 53/10's in it and LOVE those PU's. Curious why you're selling those? Great sounding and sure to be something to hold onto as they aren't making them anymore...

Definitely noted on the interest - thanks. I am willing to give them a second shot because ppl rave about them and i just might have gotten a dud of a guitar... Can't wait to try them tho...
Right on, thanks.:beer: And I hope they work out for you, even though I want em.

Not playing it enough is the answer, on a bit of a single coil trip at the moment - prefer HB P90s in my soapie, and also just got a strat

Back