58/15LT or 58/15LT+

I had emailed PRS support about the LT+. I literally could find nothing on them. Here was the reply.

"58/15 LT + pickups were used in Singlecut McCarty 594 models for a brief period. The "+" version of the pickup featured a slightly higher wind-count to accommodate the thicker mahogany back of the Singlecut McCarty guitars.

We have since discontinued the 58/15 LT+ pickups, and all McCarty 594 models will use 58/15 LT's."

Now, that makes me wonder if I should replace the LT+ with the 58/15 LTs, or something like Seth Lovers or Pearly Gates, just to add some warmth.

I had emailed PRS support about the LT+. I literally could find nothing on them. Here was the reply.

"58/15 LT + pickups were used in Singlecut McCarty 594 models for a brief period. The "+" version of the pickup featured a slightly higher wind-count to accommodate the thicker mahogany back of the Singlecut McCarty guitars.

We have since discontinued the 58/15 LT+ pickups, and all McCarty 594 models will use 58/15 LT's."

Now, that makes me wonder if I should replace the LT+ with the 58/15 LTs, or something like Seth Lovers or Pearly Gates, just to add some warmth.
Hmmm... Silly me with a set of + pups ready to go into my 2019 SC SH...
One wonders if new 58/15 pups are now modified?

It's just a hotter pickup. I'd personally swap the bridge and neck. I wouldn't go kicking out a LT+ out for LT. I use the bridge LT in guitars and it sounds fantastic. On release they were the same pickups.

Truth is the LT pickups are about to be phased out too. Found a McCarty, not a 594, but a McCarty with McCartyLT pickups and Sweetwater confirmed with another member.

If you measure the LT heights first, can always put them right back, and will give you a good starting comparison to the + ones

I'm assuming the wiring is identical, if not then needs planning, there's good thread on here with variants

Thank you. Also, they have grown on me a bit, but I may just try that swap first. Thanks to everyone.

My 2012 double cut Wood Library 594 came stock with LT+ in both positions. I don't find them hot at all when compared to my Gibson guitars with Custombuckers, T-tops, and Burstbuckers.

I play more with the tapped positions more than full humbucker.....but I have always played my PRS guitars like that. I love the LT+ pickups. Would not give them up for anything.

I don't think the + is a hotter build. My DC Resistance measurements are:

BRIDGE:
Full: 7.36 k
Tapped: 5.05 k

NECK:
Full: 7.68 k
Tapped: 4.70 k

Now, my best friend has a standard catalog version of the double cut McCarty 594 with regular 58/15LT pickups. His readings are:

BRIDGE:
Full: 8.16 k
Tapped: 5.54 k

NECK:
Full: 8.19 k
Tapped: 5.03 k

I don't think the + is a hotter build. My DC Resistance measurements are:
It's not a hot pickup or hotter pickup set overall. The LT+ neck has more winds or higher reading than the bridge. Normal LT are the same reading bridge and neck.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and discussion. As this was my first PRS bought online and unplayed, I had no idea of the range PRS pickups. I always wanted a PRS but didn't have access to play them. The typical guitar is plugged in and with all knobs wide open, that's the sound. You might dial things back bit, but that's about it. As I have played these pickups, I have realized the tonal palette that is available. The increased note to note clarity is greater as well. All that to say that there are a lot of sounds that you can dial in. I actually loving these pickups now.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and discussion. As this was my first PRS bought online and unplayed, I had no idea of the range PRS pickups. I always wanted a PRS but didn't have access to play them. The typical guitar is plugged in and with all knobs wide open, that's the sound. You might dial things back bit, but that's about it. As I have played these pickups, I have realized the tonal palette that is available. The increased note to note clarity is greater as well. All that to say that there are a lot of sounds that you can dial in. I actually loving these pickups now.
My experience was similar where my previous guitars (Jackson, ESP, Ibanez, BC Rich, and Gibson) were in the 90's and not high-end models. When I got back into playing guitar and finally decided to purchase a PRS DC594 (also online without the ability to play it in person) I was expecting something less hot than my ESP/LTD's. The DC594 was in fact less hot, but far more dynamic and versatile. These pick-ups were what I was looking for, before I even knew what I wanted. It is impressive how responsive the PRS pick-ups are. Even for the music I play, I find a tone of range and new opportunities just by adjusting the volume knob a little.

Congrats. I am glad to hear the outcome was a positive one.

I love the bridge 58/15LT+ its the best bridge pickup I have had, still dialing in the neck as it sounds muted compared to the bridge, I raised it up in stages after advice given here, tyring to find the sweet spot, but it didnt have the instant love the bridge has, and I may go back to my previous neck HB to xcheck my ears

I have a very dark S2 SC satin, all mr magoo no miss maple

I forgot to update here, I found the reason for my pickup imbalance a few weeks ago...error in soldering on my part...cross checked all wiring, found the error, corrected that and with stock prs pickup heights all was balanced and good

like the set and they are staying in :cool:

I know the regular 58/15lt are supposed to be the same, these + ones measured 7.09 (4.37) neck and bridge just a little hotter at 7.49 (5.11), and those are measuring at the lead end so all the electronics in circuit, CTS 500 pots and 0.022 orange drop caps, standard resistors

I know this is a bit of a necro-thread at this point. The 22’ Core 594 DC that I recently acquired has the LT+ pickups in it. I’m operating under the premise that they were not stock. The hang tags make no reference regarding what pickups it was supposed to have. I like them just fine in my DC.

I believe they are stock. My new SC594 I got last year also came with them. I think the new versions have since changed out to something different. Enjoy!

Back