58/15LT and 58/15LT+

Lwilliams

Is there any official description of the differences in these pickups?

I realize that, usually, the + is in the SC guitar. But, I have seen the + in DC too.

My new DC Wood Library has the + version. It has an Indian Rosewood neck and a Brazilian fingerboard.

I am not unhappy with anything. I am just wondering what the difference is between those pickups. Would my guitar get the + due the tonal difference with the rosewood neck?

Last edited:
Probably the dealer chose to spec the LT+ pickups in that particular build. It's one of the available options on WL instruments.

I don't think the + is a hotter build. My DC Resistance measurements are:

BRIDGE:
Full: 7.36 k
Tapped: 5.05 k

NECK:
Full: 7.68 k
Tapped: 4.70 k

Now, my best friend has a standard catalog version of the McCarty 594 with regular 58/15LT pickups. His readings are:

BRIDGE:
Full: 8.16 k
Tapped: 5.54 k

NECK:
Full: 8.19 k
Tapped: 5.03 k

So, if DC Resistance were the only measurement regarding output, them then my "+" versions are not as hot as the non "+" version.

We have not been able to play them side-by-side yet.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the + versions are supposed to be "hotter", but rather tonally balanced to account for the heavier mass of an SC body, I believe

I assumed it meant the neck pickup wouldn’t sound too dark in the SC. The neck pickup on the regular 594/regular McCarty is divine if you like nice cleans/low dirt and split sounds.

I found this answer from Shawn in another thread: "The LT+ is only available in the SC594 model, they are not used in anything else. They are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups."

I thought the LT+ were originally spec’d in the Special Semi-Hollow, but then I believe those are the MT version as a slightly higher wound pickup with a specific split arrangement that added turns in the split position. I would agree with the industry standard “+” designation as slightly hotter. What else could it be?

I found this answer from Shawn in another thread: "The LT+ is only available in the SC594 model, they are not used in anything else. They are tuned to be slightly brighter and a touch louder than the traditional LT pups."
Check the date on that post, Shawn left the company some years ago and things change in that amount of time.

FWIW, I've listened to and played both 2022 (LT+ pickups) and 2017 (LT pickups) SC594s side by side. I was listening specifically for the difference in pickups, and I couldn't hear it. The good news in my case: no need to buy a newer guitar for the LT+ pickups!

Matt King (PRS Guitars)
May 16, 2023, 16:58 EDT
Hi Larry,

The LT+ pickups were made to add a little more high end into the mix to help with EQ. Due to the thicker back of a singlecut model, they tend to have more low end, so we wanted to add a little high end through the pickups.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer & Technical Support
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666
www.prsguitars.com

Back