57/08 vs 59/09 neck pickup

helmi

single & satin
anyone who has heard BOTH, let me know your thoughts. I have a set of uncovered 57/08's in a singlecut. I have read that the 59/09 NECK pups are a little stronger and more CLEARER. I use the middle and neck positions for a lot of rhythm work, and have thought about trying a 59/09 neck pup if it is clearer and less muddy. is anyone using a 59/09 neck/57/08 bridge combination? would the 59/09 be that much of a difference to justify buying another pickup?

Last edited:
In SC's I prefer 59/09's to 57/08's. They are very clear, but for me it's the added power. Maybe I can explain it in these words, 57/08's for blues, 59/09's for rock and roll.

In SC's I prefer 59/09's to 57/08's. They are very clear, but for me it's the added power. Maybe I can explain it in these words, 57/08's for blues, 59/09's for rock and roll.

This. I roll the opposite of what you're looking for. 59 in the bridge and 57 in the neck.

(one person's opinion....)

There is NO REAL answer to this question as far as I am concerned.

NO ONE loves PRS more than me BUT, the pups are VERY inconsistent. I have had numerous sets of 08's and ALL of them VERY different. No, not just variance of magnets, wire or an odd turn here and there, but so much so that one 08 neck is my favorite of all time and three others were sold. One of the sold ones came out of a recent purchase.

anyone who has heard BOTH, let me know your thoughts. I have a set of uncovered 57/08's in a singlecut. I have read that the 59/09 NECK pups are a little stronger and more CLEARER. I use the middle and neck positions for a lot of rhythm work, and have thought about trying a 59/09 neck pup if it is clearer and less muddy. is anyone using a 59/09 neck/57/08 bridge combination? would the 59/09 be that much of a difference to justify buying another pickup?
I would say that's pretty accurate in general. Is it enough to justify? That's always kinda in the ear of the beholder I suppose. Being a "rock" sorta guy, I'm similar to @bodia where I like the bridge slightly hotter/clearer. I think you'll notice a difference, but if it's enough to justify the price it's hard to say.

FWIW I removed the 59/09's from one of my CU24's and installed 57/08's. The 59/09's have been for sale forever on CL and I've had zero offers.

Pm me your asking price I have a friend looking for a set. I have a set or I would buy them.

Pm me your asking price I have a friend looking for a set. I have a set or I would buy them.

I have no plans to sell the 57/08's, I was just thinking about trying the 59/09 neck. I love the squabbin's. thank you anyway.

NO ONE loves PRS more than me BUT, the pups are VERY inconsistent. I have had numerous sets of 08's and ALL of them VERY different. No, not just variance of magnets, wire or an odd turn here and there, but so much so that one 08 neck is my favorite of all time and three others were sold.
hmmm, never heard this before.

hmmm, never heard this before.
In the immortal words of Brad paisley, "Me neither". In fact it's more the opposite. The old PAF's are inconsistent because they didn't have the same number of winds. PRS took the same equipment and put computerized counters on them to get the same winds. Now I have hears that the first years of 57/08's had some variation in them because they were tweaking them. maybe that's what was being heard.

In response, all I can say is I have owned 4 sets of 08s. Does that make me an expert, no. But 4 sets of the same pickup does give me a strong foundation to form an opinion of value.

The last set was very recent in a W.L. P24 trem.

Also, there are many many other factors other than wind count that effect pup performance.

I heard the same thing about them being tweaked after a year or two. But hearing they're all different and all over the place is something I haven't heard before

Back