57/08 vs. 58/15 LT

sixstringoverdrive

Hello Everyone,

I have a set of 57/08 pickups in my McCarty and wondering what differences there are between these and the 58/15 LT pickups available right now?

I have both, and both are great. My choice of which guitar with either pickup to use depends on what I want to accomplish when working on a project. As always, horses for courses.

The 58/15 LTs have a vintage, low-output sound that stays clear and bright. The 57/08s push an amp a little harder, and still sound pretty darn PAF. I like the way I can dig in with them.

If you want the McCarty to sound even more vintage, the 58/15s are a great choice. If you like where the guitar's tonal balance and output is now, stick with the 57/08s.

I swapped the 58/15 LT pickups out of my 594 and put in 57/08 pickups. The main reason was that the volume drop off of the LTs was too much for swapping guitars at gigs. If I were just using them at home for recording, I would have left them in. I was using my guitars every weekend gigging at the time so I just couldn't deal with the volume drop. I tend to like the little bit hotter 57/08 pickups over the LTs.

I agree with above. The 57/08 have more but not by a large margin. I put a LT in the neck and 57/08 in the bridge of my SAS. Such a good combo I went similar with my KL33 but a 5909 in the bridge.

57/08s are really great sounding pups. they can be very clear, yet break up nicely and you still have great clarity across the chord. I have Dragons in another PRS- they are really hot- I play that guitar live all of the time in the classic rock band.

57/08s have more balls.

Good to know.

I have the 57/08's in a Stripped 58 and in a Bernie Marsden.

I'm almost ready to say they're my favorite humbuckers I've used in the last 40 or 50 years.

Wish I'd tried them sooner.

I'm hearing the sounds from the 57/08's that I used to hear from my 50's Gibson guitars in the 60's and 70's.

Last edited:
I have both , and agree with the consensus . The 57/08's in my Walnut are warmer and for that end they are my faves, tapped they are OK , The LT's are great tapped, if I roll the tone down in HB to 2 or 3 they fatten up tolerably. My favorite is the LT full neck with the NF in the Special.

overall of PRS pickups in order 57/08 , PRS/Duncan gen 1 soapbars (hotter ), 58/15LT' , NF

Back