57/08 in single coil mode?

P90s

Is there a PRS model with the 57/08 pick-ups available in single coil mode through the coil-tap option? I'm trying to figure out how close a tapped 57/08 pick-up would come to the sound of an actual single coil p/u since it's now possible to have the coil-tap option added. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

Any guitar with 57/08s and McCarty wiring will have coil splitting. To be totally frank, I've never played ANY tapped humbucker that sounds like a real singlecoil. (I'm STILL waiting for my Brazilian 408...) But it's a very usable tone. And let's be honest. Nobody in a bar is going to notice. :p

I will say that I do dearly love my 57/08s.

Is there a PRS model with the 57/08 pick-ups available in single coil mode through the coil-tap option? I'm trying to figure out how close a tapped 57/08 pick-up would come to the sound of an actual single coil p/u since it's now possible to have the coil-tap option added. Thanks in advance for any input or advice.

I've got 57/08s in a Mira, with a single switch to tap both pickups, and in my SC HB Std, with separate push/pulls to tap either/both. I like the, tapped, but they are never going to sound just like a (insert type of) single coil. They do open up the mids, while dropping the output a bit. I really like my SC HB with the neck tapped and the bridge full, or visa versa. It adds air and even a little woody-ness to the sound.

With all that said, I'm much pickier over my humbucker sounds, and use the single coil sounds to pull back a bit. I like them, but again, they aren't like any particular single coil.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Back