53/10 pickups masquerading as "P22" in early P22 guitars?

Going Modal

I should be practicing right now.
I know that the 53/10 pickups went away almost as quickly as they arrived--rumor has it they were taken out of the lineup by the end of 2012 (this is my educated-research guess). Even PRSh & crew are seen in many videos from that time introducing the new P22 model as having 53/10 pickups (with uncovered "squabbins"). But many of the 2012-model-year P22 guitars that I see available for sale still indicate "P22" pickups on their hang tags.

Can anybody provide some insight as to how many P22 guitars actually had 53/10's and/or were they all listed as having "P22" pickups--even if they were indeed 53/10's? Popular understanding is also that "P22" later stood for 57/08 pickups (quietly replacing the no-longer-available 53/10's), which were wired in reverse-phase in order to match properly with the LR Baggs system. PRSh can be seen in a July 2013 video confirming that they were 57/08's, so... again, I'm curious as to how long the 53/10's lasted in there. Is there a particular month or serial number range?

Inquiring minds want to know... Thanks in advance for giving some knowledge!

I do remember when the P22 was launched that it was described as having 53/10 pickups. I remember seeing guitars for sale where they also mentioned having 53/10 pickups. I think they were only fitted for that first year of production though, before being swapped to the 57/08s. I can't help with if/when they were officially listed as P22 pickups on the hang tag though.

What I do find interesting is why the P22 was launched with the 53/10 pickups in the first place. The 53/10s were apparently discontinued when the stock of the wire used ran out. By launching the P22 with the 53/10s only to replace the pickups with something else in less than a year suggests that PRS didn't realise that the supply of the 53/10 pickups was going to be so limited. Indeed, launching the pickup only to discontinue it in less than 2 years also suggests the same. It makes me wonder just what it was in that pickup that they could no longer replicate/source to such an extent that they had no other choice but to stop production of them?

Hmm.. well to halfway answer my question, it looks like I found some info here:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/53-10-identification.44696/

Though I'm still trying to ascertain that cutoff somewhere among the 18xxxx serial numbers where the P22's turned from 53/10's to 57/08's.

---

EDIT: Please click the link above, in which I continued the discussion there, after having learned a little more information to share.

Last edited:
Back