513 VS 305 Single coil sound the same?

dtray187

Hey guys, looking to buy a 513 or 305, just wondering if they sound the same in single coil mode? If so why not get the 513 for more options?
Any reason to opt for the 305?

Same pickups, and I would think that those are basically "equal", provided the electronics (wiring, cap values etc) is the same in the SC mode of the 513. However, the wood is different. I don't think the 513 has been made in the same wood. Not sure if scale length is the same either. Those would give different sounds. Maybe some other differences as well?

I never tried a 305 but since the scale length is taller than the 513's by 1/4 of an inch IIRC add a maple neck to the equation and I think it would be a bit brighter and snappier I'm sure someone that owns one will chime in soon.
my 2 cents

Wish they still made the 305. I prefer the strat scale but I'm awaiting an AP 513

It is longer scale.
Alder body, maple neck.
It is more "strat".
It also can be had much cheaper I found, whereas most 513 I've seen are way in excess of $2k, I picked up a 305 for $1200, practically half the price of a 513, it certainly isn't half the guitar. I have plenty of other guitars that can do humbuckers - Stripped 58, CU22, CU24 so unless you really want that all in one package, I would pick the 305, and that's my take reasoning of getting a 305.

kCmwA75.jpg

Even if the pick ups were wound the same, the guitars wouldn't sound the same. The difference is all about the little bits, and they all matter. 305 and 513 pick ups look the same, but have a different number of winds. The production 305's were wound to be hotter than my prototype 305 which were hotter than a typical 513. Even 513 pick ups are slightly different between models in my experience. Also, the 513 electronics for the most part have the signal going through a PC board where the 305's are hand wired which a makes some difference. Then, there are the wood differences, Alder vs Mahogany/Maple(513) vs Mahogany(513 Standard) vs Swamp Ash(513 Swamp Ash) which give different degrees of brightness, warmth, and chime. The extra .25" of scale also gives the 305 slightly more clarity.

The 513 that is closest is to my 305 is a Private Stock with a maple neck and brazzy fretboard. It also is hand wired like my 305. The 305 has more chime, but the 513 is slightly warmer. Because the 305 has a maple neck and board, it also has a more vintage strat flavor. Production models have more of a modern strat thing going on, only with more balls than a strat. And, that would be what you'd get one for. However, if you were aiming for more of a strat, a DC3 would be better choice.

HomeFront.jpg
DSC_0004-4.jpg

Last edited:
Each serves a different purpose. I don't need a Swiss army knife guitar, so I'll end up getting a 305 to compliment my other HB guitars. The 513, 305 & DC3 are all 25 1/4" scales so they are true Strat scaies but the DC should be closer with full alder body and bolt in neck. The 513 & 305 are both set necks so that may add to a difference in tone

Good point, missed that one. The 305 is true Strat scale. However the DC3 is often regarded as more Strat like due to the sum of the parts

Back