513 Neck Carve Question

watelessness

Does anyone remember when the 513 neck carve changed to the pattern family? And prior to that were they really W/F or 513 carves that said W/F on the hang tags?

Thanks in advance.

I don't remember when the change happened, but I do think the carve feels different than a WF.

Because of only one neck shape type for the 513 I supposed that they didn´t mention that in particular on their hang tags.
I checked a few test reports (German Gitarre & Bass Magazines of 2005 (513 Rosewood) and 2007 (513 Mahogany, now named MT) and Vintage Guitar (2007)).

They did´t give the child a name. All the authors paraphrased the neck profile.

The German describe it as a likewise W/F profile being smaller at the nut. This makes the neck looking tall (2005).

2007 they wrote the neck is smaller but slightly thicker. Like a fat C.

Vintage Guitar says: "Its playability is very good, and it has a comfortable, slightly-thick neck profile that doesn’t feel at all chunky, with a nice low/choke-free action, nicely polished and leveled frets, and excellent access to the upper frets."

But I discovered the secret other ways.

I checked price lists.

From 2005 to 2008 the neck profile type isn´t mentioned.

In 2009 they started with (German Meinl catalogue/price List) "513 Profil" or mahogany '513' neck (US price list).
In 2010 it´s the same.
But in 2011 either the German price list or the US price list introduce "Pattern Regular" for describing the neck profile.
In the following years "Pattern Regular" is standard information in the price lists.

Last edited:
The new edition of Dave Burrluck's book says 2004-20011 it was a 513 carve (and I believe that's what's on my hang tag, but I have to check). From 2011 on, pattern regular.

True. I checked Burlock aswell. My Hang Tag says: Patt Reg.

But in detail Burlock - and I didn´t mean the changing of the nut, birds or tuners - neglected to mention the electronics. First they installed a PCB (will a few revisions over the past years), 513 built by the PS Div got hand wiring instead (I remember it was said that this delivers more transparency in the sound at PRS´ homepage). And with start of production line 2014 hand wiring was standard even in the core line 513.

Does anyone remember when the 513 neck carve changed to the pattern family? And prior to that were they really W/F or 513 carves that said W/F on the hang tags?

Thanks in advance.
Not a direct answer to your question, but I briefly owned both an older W/F 513 and a newer pattern regular 513 at the same time, the W/F felt chunkier (too chunky for me) so I sold it.

The new edition of Dave Burrluck's book says 2004-20011 it was a 513 carve (and I believe that's what's on my hang tag, but I have to check). From 2011 on, pattern regular.

my 2010 is the 513 carve, while my 2012 has the pattern, so somewhere in there.....

Back