509 schematic to debug wiring problem?

Greg Ferguson

I'm trying to find a schematic for an '18 509. PRS sent a H/N/H schematic but the 5-way switch in the schematic is wired completely differently than what I see in the control cavity. I found the schematic….

This is what's going on… The guitar was working great, then I put it in its case for a couple of weeks, and when I took it out the neck pickup was running about 6 dB below where it had been. Previously it balanced very nicely against the middle pickup and the bridge, but now the sound output is obviously lower. And, what is probably significant, but is weird, is that rolling off the tone reduces the pickup's output to almost nothing. I can barely hear it, whereas the middle and bridge are just as loud, only without treble, as I'd expect. Switching to engage the middle and neck pickups causes a big bump in bass response and output when the middle pickup engages, and that level remains when I switch to the center position.

I can hear the mini-toggle for the neck pickup change between the coil split and normal position, but, again, the output isn't close to the sound of the other pickups. The pickup heights are correct according to the setup page and haven't been adjusted.

I gave both the volume and tone controls a little spray of cleaner, which hasn't helped. The 5-way will be my next target because maybe its contact for the neck has something on it. Wiggling wires while the strings are sustaining hasn't resulted in any clicks or unexpected noises so I don't think any wires or solder joints are broken, but possibly there's a cold-solder joint that finally gave up so I'll reflow all the connections if nothing else seems to help.

Do the symptoms sound familiar to anyone? I'd like to focus on one particular problem rather than take the shotgun approach for fixing this.

I don't think anything degaussed the pickup, because it would have affected the middle and bridge pickup magnets too.

Thanks.

Last edited:
After looking at the schematic and thinking over the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the 5-way switch. I'm going to put a jumper across the neck pickup's contacts and see if the pickup returns to full power, and if that works I'll squirt a little cleaner on the neck pickup's contact to see if that helps before I pull the switch out and rewire a new one.

After looking at the schematic and thinking over the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the 5-way switch. I'm going to put a jumper across the neck pickup's contacts and see if the pickup returns to full power, and if that works I'll squirt a little cleaner on the neck pickup's contact to see if that helps before I pull the switch out and rewire a new one.
And after jumpering various places to try to isolate the problem as one of the switches, I can't get it to come up to the output it should be. I'm starting to think it's the pickup, so I have an email into customer service to see if I can buy a replacement.

I had a 509 bridge pickup that had plenty of output, but squealed like crazy.
By the 3rd pickup, it was fixed. Got a signed plate out of that one... LoL!

I had a 509 bridge pickup that had plenty of output, but squealed like crazy.
By the 3rd pickup, it was fixed. Got a signed plate out of that one... LoL!
Well, I’d just like to get my guitar back to what it used to be. I have another five PRS, and love them, but a couple of them have had wiring problems or failures with pots. That’s not a good ratio and it makes me sad.

Huh, my experience is quite different out of the many ( over ten) PRSi I own, the only issue (s) I’ve had have been with the used ones that I don’t know the history of or the ones I modded. These range from the eighties to current models. Good luck hope you get this resolved as it appears you really like this guitar.

Huh, my experience is quite different out of the many ( over ten) PRSi I own, the only issue (s) I’ve had have been with the used ones that I don’t know the history of or the ones I modded. These range from the eighties to current models. Good luck hope you get this resolved as it appears you really like this guitar.
I do. It's a gorgeous 10-top, plays wonderfully, and sounded great until the pickup thing.

I've been talking to PRS Customer support, and it's not possible to buy a replacement pickup, it has to go in. I was going to wait for my tech to get home but that's another ten days plus the time it takes for him to get to it; With a multi-month backlog I'd be looking at about three or four months just to find out if it is the pickup, so, sigh, I guess it's gonna get an expensive road-trip.

yulrqogzp6ooyhba7et3.jpg

I do. It's a gorgeous 10-top, plays wonderfully, and sounded great until the pickup thing.

I've been talking to PRS Customer support, and it's not possible to buy a replacement pickup, it has to go in. I was going to wait for my tech to get home but that's another ten days plus the time it takes for him to get to it; With a multi-month backlog I'd be looking at about three or four months just to find out if it is the pickup, so, sigh, I guess it's gonna get an expensive road-trip.

yulrqogzp6ooyhba7et3.jpg
That's one beautiful 509!!!!!!!!!!

That's one beautiful 509!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks. I like it. The PRS guitars are too pretty sometimes. I had a Cherry Burst DGT 10 top that was stunning, along with a Goldtop DGT that's showing its age with lots of little cracks and dings. I was so intimidated by the looks of the Cherry Burst that I didn't want to take it out and eventually decided that was dumb, so I gave it to my son-in-law who loves it. And I feel fine taking out the Goldtop. :)

Thanks. I like it. The PRS guitars are too pretty sometimes. I had a Cherry Burst DGT 10 top that was stunning, along with a Goldtop DGT that's showing its age with lots of little cracks and dings. I was so intimidated by the looks of the Cherry Burst that I didn't want to take it out and eventually decided that was dumb, so I gave it to my son-in-law who loves it. And I feel fine taking out the Goldtop. :)
Sorry to jump on your thread but I have a question. I just got a 509 today and switching between single and Humbucker I barely notice a difference in tone and volume. On my 513 it’s clear as day when I switch to singles. Was there a noticeable tone difference when you would go to single coil?

In my experience, the difference has a lot to do with the amount of gain you're using. Try reducing the gain and then try switching between the two pickup settings. Too much gain overwhelms the preamp and masks the identity of the pickup's sound.

My 509, when it's on the humbuckers, sounds almost like a 335, it's not as thick as a Les Paul, but it's definitely thicker than a Strat. When I switch to the "single-coil" sound it's VERY much like a Strat, so much so that I don't take my "real" Strats out anymore.

Enjoy the guitar, the 509 covers a lot of sounds, and if yours feels like mine, it's one you'll grab a lot.

In my experience, the difference has a lot to do with the amount of gain you're using. Try reducing the gain and then try switching between the two pickup settings. Too much gain overwhelms the preamp and masks the identity of the pickup's sound.

My 509, when it's on the humbuckers, sounds almost like a 335, it's not as thick as a Les Paul, but it's definitely thicker than a Strat. When I switch to the "single-coil" sound it's VERY much like a Strat, so much so that I don't take my "real" Strats out anymore.

Enjoy the guitar, the 509 covers a lot of sounds, and if yours feels like mine, it's one you'll grab a lot.
Thank you!! I tried it on the clean channel as well and didn’t notice much of a difference. I did get my 513 out (It’s my#1 with the band) for 2min before work today to try it. Could hear the single coils better but it made me realize my stuffed ears from a sinus infection I’m getting over is messing with me more than I realized. The 509 plays great so I’m sure it’s going to be a great backup live.

Sorry about your trouble and I hope they get it figured out for you.

Back