509 bridge pickup microphonic squeal

Glide-bpm

We were small but we were slow...
Anyone have trouble with uncontrollable high frequency microphonic squeal on their 509 bridge pickup with medium to high gains? I sent mine for warranty replacement, got it back and the same thing, no matter who's rig or what I plug into. Tube with or without pedals, Helix and Kemper into various FRFR's or power amp and 12" guitar cabs (using noise gates, too).

It's very sensitive to tapping, touching/tapping mounting screws and strings(to mute). The middle and neck pickups behave nothing like the bridge.

None of my other guitars (nor my 513 I used to own) ever did/do this.

Waiting on a response from tech support again for a couple days, so I figured I'd ask the forum while I wait. :)

Thanks!
Will

Last edited:
This is her...
20767804_10209884798500632_5035744570945411383_n.jpg

20663988_10209884795660561_7471091939537571643_n.jpg

And as always, great tech support has gotten back with me.

I'm in no way dissatisfied with PRS guitars or support, just curious if anyone else has run into this rare problem on a great guitar.

It's speaking to you... it wants you to play "Hey Hey, My My" exactly three and a half feet in front of your cab, with a wide open tweed model loaded.

All kidding aside, wow, man, those birds are amazing on that one. Nice find!

Just printed the return label and dropped it out again. PRS has of course been nothing short of excellent with the customer service/warranty support. First time I've ever had to use them.

They've made me love my PRS stuff even more with the level of support!

It does it when split as well. Did the same thing with the original bridge pickup as well. I can put the middle or neck pups into face melting metal levels of distortion and it won't squeal even facing the FRFR or conventional guitar amp cabs.

Love this one... LoL!!! -------
It's speaking to you... it wants you to play "Hey Hey, My My" exactly three and a half feet in front of your cab, with a wide open tweed model loaded.

I know this is a really old post but I just picked up a lovely Rosewood 513 and have a similar microphonic squeal. Did you ever manage to get to the bottom of your problem?

Just realised this isn't an old post afterall :) I was looking at the date you joined the forum not the date of the post.....doh!

Last edited:
Thanks for the top compliment!
I've owned Artist grade tops that looked worse. LoL!

I just sent it in for warranty repair for the second time. They sent me prepaid labels via email both times. I'll update the thread as I get information and receive the repaired guitar and test it on several rigs, both tube and all digital.

Will

@Glide-bpm I also have a brand new 509. I noticed pretty quickly that if I took my finger and tapped on the bridge pickup, it was very loud and prominent. The middle and neck pickups do not have this same behavior. It does not matter whether or not the humbuckers are in single or dual coil mode.

I have not heard mine squeal yet, but I will try to make that happen in a few hours and report back. I play through a Kemper, so we will see. I actually really like the sound of that bridge pickup, but the behavior is uncommon. It is also strange that the neck pickup doesn't do the same thing.

@Glide-bpm I also have a brand new 509. I noticed pretty quickly that if I took my finger and tapped on the bridge pickup, it was very loud and prominent. The middle and neck pickups do not have this same behavior. It does not matter whether or not the humbuckers are in single or dual coil mode.

I have not heard mine squeal yet, but I will try to make that happen in a few hours and report back. I play through a Kemper, so we will see. I actually really like the sound of that bridge pickup, but the behavior is uncommon. It is also strange that the neck pickup doesn't do the same thing.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, if it wasn't for the uncontrolled out of the ordinary squeal, I'd never have any complaint at all!!! I love that guitar, and the tones across the board are awesome!

Both bridge pickups have definitely been sensitive to the physical touch like none I've ever seen. Maybe the design is so cutting edge (no pun intended) that some come out a little misbehaved in the higher frequencies or microphonic. It was always the same frequency howl/squeal. Maybe a rogue resonant frequency. Not exactly trying to play death metal with it either. LoL!

Just played a loud gig in a semi-small location and the 408 and my Tele didn't make a peep. Had to turn directly toward the FRFR to try to coax any musical feedback at all even on my highest gain tone.

The guys have mine in their hands again now.
Can't say anything but GOOD things about my 1st experiences with customer service, either!
So far they've bent over backwards to try and remedy things!!!!

Thanks for the info. Yeah, if it wasn't for the uncontrolled out of the ordinary squeal, I'd never have any complaint at all!!! I love that guitar, and the tones across the board are awesome!

Both bridge pickups have definitely been sensitive to the physical touch like none I've ever seen. Maybe the design is so cutting edge (no pun intended) that some come out a little misbehaved in the higher frequencies or microphonic. It was always the same frequency howl/squeal. Maybe a rogue resonant frequency. Not exactly trying to play death metal with it either. LoL!

Just played a loud gig in a semi-small location and the 408 and my Tele didn't make a peep. Had to turn directly toward the FRFR to try to coax any musical feedback at all even on my highest gain tone.

The guys have mine in their hands again now.
Can't say anything but GOOD things about my 1st experiences with customer service, either!
So far they've bent over backwards to try and remedy things!!!!

I can confirm that mine is doing the microphonic squeal on the bridge pickup at above medium-level Marshall-type gain. It's not musical feedback. It's a squeal like pointing a microphone at a speaker. Unpleasant, and I'm sure not by design. @Glide-bpm please keep me/us updated with the verdict on yours.

Last edited:
I wonder which of the 509 bridge pups are still engaged when you split, the front, or the back? Could be a rogue single pup or maybe there's a resistor in your future.

I wonder which of the 509 bridge pups are still engaged when you split, the front, or the back? Could be a rogue single pup or maybe there's a resistor in your future.

On both humbuckers, it's the coil closest to the neck that is prominent when in single coil mode.

Yep... Once you hit a certain gain level, split or not, that sounds about right. Don't even have to be facing the speaker.

Oooooooooooooo... That's sweet! Bet you can get some single coil twang with that maple neck and board!

Back