5 way rotary vs 3 way blade with coil tap

Cbouty

Hey all,

I’m curious if anybody has experience comparing the 90s style custom core 5 way rotary switch versus the S2 coil tapping with three-way switch.

I already have a 2017 core custom 24 model with 85/15s and want to pick up a second PRS for some tonal differences in a custom 22. I had pretty much decided on a brand new S2 custom 22 with 85/15s and then I found a 90 style core with Dragon 1s in pretty good shape for about the same price.

I know this is a personal preference kind of question… But that’s generally what I’m interested in is other people’s personal preference… Thoughts?

I really like the 5 way. Mine is on a 96 CU22 with dragons.
I have a bunch of push-pull taps, but never really liked the push-pull. I prefer mini toggles like 408.

I liked the 5-Way Rotary on my Cores back in the day, but now I prefer a blade switch and coil tapping, which I had on a 408. For me a blade switches faster, I know where I am by feel so there’s less fumbling around, and the taps are more interesting for the tones I’m after.

As to the pull-up knobs for tapping, the Core knobs not ideally shaped (though I love the look!), and like Veiny I also like the mini-toggles. However, even with the less-than-ideal knob shape, I prefer the blade/taps to the 5-Way Rotary.

Since the 5-Way Rotary doesn’t have true single coil tones, I’d maybe start by evaluating what kinds of sounds you’re after. If it’s true single coil tones, there’s your answer. If it doesn’t matter, then address the question of ergonomics. It’s easier and faster to feel for a blade and remember exactly where you are than it is to futz with the 5-Way rotary for some folks (like me). Others say the rotary is more their style (of course, if they knew what they were talking about they’d completely agree with me ;)).

The main thing many say is that they like the way the rotary gives the guitar a clean look. For me, that’s farther down on the list of needs, and I even have a blade switch on one of my Private Stocks that I like very much.

Pick your poison, right?

Despite the above, I’d love to see someone come out with a machined blade lever instead of the stamped ones we’ve seen since the 50s. If it felt more like the gearshift on an old Alfa Spyder Veloce (an amazing feeling gearshift, by the way, because it had shorter linkage and was beautifully made) than the gearshift on a ‘56 Buick, that’d be awesome.

Last edited:
I agree on pull knobs being difficult - the button in the middle of the knob that F uses might be cool

I agree on pull knobs being difficult - the button in the middle of the knob that F uses might be cool

All it needs is a little molded flange on the top of the knob; just enough to keep the fingers from slipping off as you pull up. So simple even I could design it. And that ain’t sayin’ much. ;)

Of course, I couldn’t manufacture it. So I live with what PRS has on offer, do what everyone else does, and slip a fingernail underneath the knob if it’s slippery.

Last edited:
If you get the old Custom with rotary and you don’t like it how it functions you can swap it out for McCarty switching (3 way + cool tap).

I have a rotary on mine and although I prefer McCarty switching I haven’t replaced it because the in between positions have proven useful.

If you put a chicken head knob on the 5 way, it changes just as fast as the the 3 way with a push/pull. And maybe faster if you're going from coil tap to full on humbucker. It's 6 of 1, half dozen of the other. I like them both.

There are sounds the toggle and push-pull don’t get and vice versa... so I have ‘em both.

Back