36th anniversary vs Wolftone

DHW

So I wasn't going to upgrade the pickups in the se 245 but I am thinking about it now... Wolftone would both cost around $100/set more than the 36's... Worth the extra? I am looking at the dr vintage neck and a marshallhead for the bridge.

I used to have a Marshallhead Mk. II in the bridge slot of my Bernie. It sounded absolutely spectacular, but it was a bit lower output than I usually prefer and occasionally got microphonic under high gain. (IIRC, Wolfetones aren't potted unless you specifically ask for it, and I bought mine off the shelf.) Eventually it came out and a Suhr Doug Alrich went in its place. Anyway, if you're looking for a slightly overwound PAF tone and don't use more than classic rock gain levels, it's a great choice.

I used to have a Marshallhead Mk. II in the bridge slot of my Bernie. It sounded absolutely spectacular, but it was a bit lower output than I usually prefer and occasionally got microphonic under high gain. (IIRC, Wolfetones aren't potted unless you specifically ask for it, and I bought mine off the shelf.) Eventually it came out and a Suhr Doug Alrich went in its place. Anyway, if you're looking for a slightly overwound PAF tone and don't use more than classic rock gain levels, it's a great choice.

Hmm... My gain moves somewhere between crunch and stupid... I don't have anywhere to buy them off the shelf so I would have to order whatever I got.

I'd get the 36th, thgey are stellar and won't squeal under high gain. Plus they have more clarity. David

I ended up with a set of PAF clones made by Tom Brantley whom worked for Fralin for around 20 years and later did the design work for mojotone before starting his own company. They are unpotted 8.8k/7.8k with nickel covers, all configurable by the customer as he is a custom sort of shop. No squeal at all and sound absolutely great in there. Best part is that they were essentially the same price as the 36th anniversaries while still being "boutique". The gentleman I bought the wiring harness from turned me onto these.

I love the dirt on the 36th but not the clean tones. Never played the marshallhead. What do you need the pickup to do? You want a Les Paul style PAF? I'll say that the 36th sounds like a big fat les paul under gain but is a bit compressed because of the high output magnets.

Back