3/4 Size Guitar (Electric)?

JayGuitar

Hi everyone!

I've been interested in PRS guitars for a while but have never been able to purchase one since they don't sell any 3/4 or 7/8 size guitars (which would be ~23" scale length). I was curious if maybe one exists that I'm not aware of or if there are any plans on making one or if it's something that can be done built to order.

To explain: I have small hands (fairly proportional to my 5'4" height) and learned to play primarily on a Little Martin (23" scale). I could never adjust to longer scale. It just feels wrong. I need to stretch my fingers too much, I can't really utilize thumb wrap chords, and the standard size guitars aren't as comfortable to hold either. So, I just decided that I would always take comfort and playability over the longer scale. I still play my Little Martin, but one day will get a Martin 7-28 (7/8 size D-28) acoustic to "real deal" acoustic sound I want. I was fortunate enough to find an amazing Japanese 7/8 sized Stratocaster called "Smart Size" (ST62SS). It build quality of any other MIJ Stratocaster and I love it. I'm looking to at some point get a 3/4 size Gibson Hollow Body (ES-140) or Gretsch Rambler. For now though... I really would love a PRS!

So, that's why I've come here... to inquire about the possibility. I can't be the only one remotely interested in that there must be an interest in PRS guitars for kids. There are adults who like short scale too (either small hands, travel, or just because!). I've seen people with Fender Duo Sonics and such. It is definitely a niche item, but I'm hopeful.

Anyway, hopefully someone tells me one exists or it's possible to get made. Unfortunately, I doubt that's the case. One day though?

My 4'11" 11 year old daughter plays a CE 24 without issue. A 24.5" scale is the shortest stock scale length for PRS. Not sure if they would do one private stock but that will cost some major money. An electric neck in a pattern regular or wide thin might fit your hands better.

My 4'11" 11 year old daughter plays a CE 24 without issue. A 24.5" scale is the shortest stock scale length for PRS. Not sure if they would do one private stock but that will cost some major money. An electric neck in a pattern regular or wide thin might fit your hands better.

You entirely correct that I can certainly play a larger guitar without much issue. Ensuring the neck was very thin goes a long way in making it more enjoyable. However, it is really just a preference I prefer to stick with having played with shorter scale so long. My hands are familiar with the distances. There are certain stretches that would are more or less impossible and chords that are certainly less comfortable (partially due to my preference to thumb wrap, to be honest). Also, I find the guitar body itself, when scaled down is more comfortable.

It sounds like nothing exists though! That is a bummer. :(

To your point... if a custom / private stock was built, it'd cost major money. It is something to consider, at some point, I suppose.

Thanks!

It's a very small market, no pun intended. I don't imagine it would be profitable for PRS.

I probably would look at some of the smaller Warmoth offerings and spec out something that way. For example, you could build a Mustang with mahogany body, flame maple lam top and two humbuckers. They do 7/8 size Strat and Tele shapes too.

You might like a PRS Mira X, if you can find one: http://www.guitarworld.com/paul-reed-smith-mira-x. Thinner, lighter body, 24.5" scale.

Back