2021 CE (lack of) Shielding

dj_tmc

Hey there,
I was noticing a fair amount of noise on my guitar (2021 CE metallic blue, all mahogany, still can see/feel the grain) when I took it to a friend's house. He's an audio engineer, and noted that I should look into getting it shielded. There currently isn't any inside. No paint or metal tape.

Do other PRS guitars have shielding? I haven't opened any up at the music stores ;) I'm curious why this one doesn't have any.

Were the pickups split? There shouldn’t be too much noise in humbucker mode. I’d suggest to check the grounding. Make sure one wire didn’t pop loose, including the trem ground

Were the pickups split? There shouldn’t be too much noise in humbucker mode. I’d suggest to check the grounding. Make sure one wire didn’t pop loose, including the trem ground
They can be split, but I got noise in humbucking mode.. I was getting noise until I touched the strings at my house, but at his house I was getting noise whether or not I was touching the strings (stilol more when not touching). When I held it and rotated in different directions, the noise would rise & fade denping on where it was aimed.

I went ahead & added shielding to it over the weekend. I'll let y'all know how it turned out! When I was doing it, I saw that the ground wire was still connected to the trem

They used to use shielding paint, but it turns out shielding adds a certain amount of capacitance to the circuitry, which is going to reduce high end.

Wether you can hear it, or care, is up to you. Shielding might help reduce noise, so it's a trade off.
Full list of people who can hear the difference:

Paul Reed Smith

-end of list-

:D XD

Back