SE Custom 24 35th Anniversary 1st - Hum issues

I've had very similar issues on both my LP Standard, Fender SSS Am. Strat and to some degree on the same guitar you bought, the PRS SE Custom 24 35y A.E.
On the other two guitars this has followed me from my last apartment and to the place I live now.
I was confident that it was a grounding issue(s), as I also had the thing that if I touched like the bridge of the guitar I'd hear nothing, let go and "bzzzzzzz"...
It was so annoying that at one time I considered just switching to only play acoustic, because using any amplifier, even a amp-sim would make it even worse.

I had my wall sockets (is that what it's called?) replaced by an electrician, and he said that the only "true grounded" output in my house was the one on my porch.
So, I drilled a hole straight through the wall and set up a pad running from that separate grounded circuit, and things got quiet.

But, when I moved, same trouble all over again. But I've located it, or at least know how to make it almost inaudible and it turns out it was my MacBook Pro that is
making the pickups go a bit nuts somehow. If either my guitar or cable (good quality Boss instrument cable, shielded + woven w/ 24K gold plated plugs) is even near the MacBook Pro,
or its charger (which I usually have to detach and pull out when recording) it starts to "hiss".

Don't believe PRS is to blame for this or your case, I recognize the exact same behavior with the other guitars I own, using different cables doesn't help either.
If I keep a bit of distance from both Mac and the charger, I can record without problems. Also running the guitar cable through a DI box with a ground-lift may be good enough
in some cases.

Why does this happen in the first place?
Dunno. Maybe because the production and testing happens in a country that uses different voltage / current or? "Who knows, not me" to steal a phrase from Kurt Cobain.

Regarding the sound being more pronounced when using the PRS:
I also own a SSS Am. Strat and the pickups, even though sensitive they aren't as powerful as the Hummers on the PRS by any measure, I have effects that I've used on full volume (on the guitar knob) with the Strat, that would probably break the glass in the windows (at least my ears) if I have it set at full output volume!

Last edited:
I've had very similar issues on both my LP Standard, Fender SSS Am. Strat and to some degree on the same guitar you bought, the PRS SE Custom 24 35y A.E.
On the other two guitars this has followed me from my last apartment and to the place I live now.
I was confident that it was a grounding issue(s), as I also had the thing that if I touched like the bridge of the guitar I'd hear nothing, let go and "bzzzzzzz"...
It was so annoying that at one time I considered just switching to only play acoustic, because using any amplifier, even a amp-sim would make it even worse.

I had my wall sockets (is that what it's called?) replaced by an electrician, and he said that the only "true grounded" output in my house was the one on my porch.
So, I drilled a hole straight through the wall and set up a pad running from that separate grounded circuit, and things got quiet.

But, when I moved, same trouble all over again. But I've located it, or at least know how to make it almost inaudible and it turns out it was my MacBook Pro that is
making the pickups go a bit nuts somehow. If either my guitar or cable (good quality Boss instrument cable, shielded + woven w/ 24K gold plated plugs) is even near the MacBook Pro,
or its charger (which I usually have to detach and pull out when recording) it starts to "hiss".

Don't believe PRS is to blame for this or your case, I recognize the exact same behavior with the other guitars I own, using different cables doesn't help either.
If I keep a bit of distance from both Mac and the charger, I can record without problems. Also running the guitar cable through a DI box with a ground-lift may be good enough
in some cases.

Why does this happen in the first place?
Dunno. Maybe because the production and testing happens in a country that uses different voltage / current or? "Who knows, not me" to steal a phrase from Kurt Cobain.

Regarding the sound being more pronounced when using the PRS:
I also own a SSS Am. Strat and the pickups, even though sensitive they aren't as powerful as the Hummers on the PRS by any measure, I have effects that I've used on full volume (on the guitar knob) with the Strat, that would probably break the glass in the windows (at least my ears) if I have it set at full output volume!

I personally updated the electrical in my house with my friend who is an electrician.

The bridge, switches and jack all have ground continuity, where as the pickups do not. Another guitar of mine is well-grounded, and very quiet.

It's the guitar.

So the second 35th Anniversary Edition guitar is nearly as bad. Maybe it is a characteristic? It's mostly only noticeable when playing with higher gain.

I did notice that they don't bother insulating the pickup cavities. Perhaps that's it?

I know this might seem like a patronizing question, but I assure you, it is not meant that way.
Have you tried lowering the pickups?
Might be all that's needed. I had to do that on my guitar (same model), because it was way too loud.

And as a result, no more hiss or humming...

But, if you live or use the guitar in areas with a lot of electrostatic / RF interference, that could produce this hum as well.
Insulating the cavities is not hard, and probably a job you can do yourself, and definitely a good thing to try:

1. Get a hold of a roll of Insulating Tape Band Adhesive
2. Remove the electronics carefully from your guitar cavity and apply the tape on the the inside
3. Screw the pickups back on, and voila, you have insulated pickup cavities.

Some swear to using specialized paint, others say they hear no difference by using tape.
Truth is that as long as it is conductive material, you're usually good, really.

The good thing with using the tape, is that the process is easily reversible, and there is no mess involved, also the price is much lower.

I use a basic black "electro tape" that you can get at almost any hardware store for this purpose, and have never needed to buy a tiny can of 50-60$ paint from some guitar dealer. To me that is a hustle.

JUST MAKE SURE THAT IT SAYS THAT IT HAS CONDUCTIVE PROPERTIES.
If you use the wrong tape, no harm will happen, but then again, no effect either.
tape.jpg

Last edited:
Have you tried lowering the pickups?
Might be all that's needed. I had to do that on my guitar (same model), because it was way too loud.

I have not tried that, but will. Thanks!

It's not a volume issue, as far as I can tell... It sounds similar to the 60 cycle hum from a single coil (yes, I've made sure to test the coil split switches. It gets louder when split.)

Like I said previously, I have an Ibanez RG 270. It has a Duncan Distortion pickup in the bridge that I installed myself. It had significant grounding issues due to my inexperience with soldering. Ever since I fixed it, it's been super silent (and it's actually set pretty high, as well.)

Regardless, I'll try messing with the height!

@singularity6 : While you're at it, do the tremolo cavity as well, including the inside of the plate:

Make sure to loosen all strings and carefully loosen the screws holding the claw in place, remove the springs and place the claw with the ground wire on it aside to cover the whole inside,
You should put a soft cloth under the back-end of the bridge, between it and the body, to keep it from scratching the finish when you're working,
as it gets pressed against the body when all strings are loosened etc.

I'll bet you'll find a good YouTube video or some pictures if this doesn't sound intuitive to you.

That way, you've at least done what I consider is more than one should expect to do as "DIY" on a brand new guitar, but, you know, they are
all different, each having their "personalities" so to say. Sometimes you need to calm that personality a bit though... ;)

Hope you'll get that humming crap out of the way, I know personally how annoying that can get.

I've done a similar thing on my Les Paul, and it has been a well worth investment of my time.

Last edited:
Yeah, the pickup height did nothing. Still buzzing away. I did notice noise while using the screwdriver to adjust the pickup height.

I called PRS about this. They guy on the phone was very pleasant and explained that PRS pickups "aren't the quietest out there." They don't heavily wax-pot them, and they don't bother with shielding the pickup cavities. The reason why they do this is because they want to maintain the clearly-defined highs.

I imagine tossing some Duncan's in would change that... but I do want to keep the overall character of this guitar intact. I might eventually look into getting the pickup cavities shielded... after the warranty on the electronics is up, of course!

Yeah, the pickup height did nothing. Still buzzing away. I did notice noise while using the screwdriver to adjust the pickup height.
I called PRS about this. They guy on the phone was very pleasant and explained that PRS pickups "aren't the quietest out there." They don't heavily wax-pot them, and they don't bother with shielding the pickup cavities. The reason why they do this is because they want to maintain the clearly-defined highs.

I imagine tossing some Duncan's in would change that... but I do want to keep the overall character of this guitar intact. I might eventually look into getting the pickup cavities shielded... after the warranty on the electronics is up, of course!

First of all: Disconnect the jack before using a metal screwdriver on a pickup that has as its main assignment in life to transfer tiny electrical current from vibrating steel...
You can get those screwdrivers coated with some sort of carbonized stuff so that they don't react in the same way. Like those used by electricians and stuff...
I've never had a pickup that didn't buzz at me if I forgot to unplug the jack at least!

Other than that, you wouldn't compromise any warranty that I know of by carefully loosening the pickups, applying the insulation tape I mentioned in the previous post to get those cavities shielded and putting them back on.
Besides, if you needed repairs, the tape is really easy to peel off when applied to this kind of surface. Just don't get the self-vulcanizing kind. That is better for getting things smooth and really tight, but not so easy to reverse.

I described the process already, and I can't imagine that this should break any warranties? If so, let me know, because I'm doing the same in a few days with mine!

I've never thought of an annoying buzzing sound as a "character" in any positive way, so that's a new way to look at it...

Last edited:
First of all: Disconnect the jack before using a metal screwdriver on a pickup that has as its main assignment in life to transfer tiny electrical current from vibrating steel...
You can get those screwdrivers coated with some sort of carbonized stuff so that they don't react in the same way. Like those used by electricians and stuff...
I've never had a pickup that didn't buzz at me if I forgot to unplug the jack at least!

Other than that, you wouldn't compromise any warranty that I know of by carefully loosening the pickups, applying the insulation tape I mentioned in the previous post to get those cavities shielded and putting them back on.
Besides, if you needed repairs, the tape is really easy to peel off when applied to this kind of surface. Just don't get the self-vulcanizing kind. That is better for getting things smooth and really tight, but not so easy to reverse.

I described the process already, and I can't imagine that this should break any warranties? If so, let me know, because I'm doing the same in a few days with mine!

I've never thought of an annoying buzzing sound as a "character" in any positive way, so that's a new way to look at it...

I plan to use a shielding paint when I do the job.

I'm familiar with insulated screwdrivers, as I borrowed one to do the electrical around my house.

Apparently they don't use a lot of wax on their pickups when they pot them.

There are times when all the shielding in the world won't help. RF interference is minimized with good guitar shielding. Buzz/hum due to bad house wiring is next to impossible to fix without a major overhaul of the house wiring. In the house I used to live in, every guitar I owned buzzed - from noticeable to obnoxious. Replaced my Strat pickups (unusable) with noiseless- still hummed like a mofo. As did my PRS and SG. I paid top dollar for Furman power conditioners - nothing worked. Moved houses... I was a happy camper again.

Good luck!

There are times when all the shielding in the world won't help. RF interference is minimized with good guitar shielding. Buzz/hum due to bad house wiring is next to impossible to fix without a major overhaul of the house wiring. In the house I used to live in, every guitar I owned buzzed - from noticeable to obnoxious. Replaced my Strat pickups (unusable) with noiseless- still hummed like a mofo. As did my PRS and SG. I paid top dollar for Furman power conditioners - nothing worked. Moved houses... I was a happy camper again.

As I've said previously, the PRS is my noisiest guitar with humbuckers. My Ibanez RG 270 with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge is dead silent under the exact same conditions. My Ibanez Iceman with Dimarzio D Activators is in between the two. The PRS in humbucking mode is almost as noisy as my SSS Carvin Bolt-T kit guitar.

Shielding may help... I do notice the noise levels change if I turn my body while playing.

If you're going to shield the cavities, I don't get why you'd go straight for the more expensive paint route, which is also pretty much irreversible, when there is actually a chance that you'll end up liking the sound better before the shielding,
because it does change the overall sound in many cases. Better to try cheaper tape first, then peal it off if:

1. You didn't like the new sound
2. It made no difference on the problem that caused you to shield in the first place

Anyway, if you're going to shield one way or the other, make sure to also shield the tremolo cavity. This can be the source of the problem in many cases, yet I see many only concerning themselves about the pickups.

By the way, have anybody tried one of these:

Hum Debugger
iu.jpg

I belong to a Fb group where a guy was complaining of the same issue w/this same guitar. He got an email back from PRS stating that in this guitar, the pickups are NOT grounded by design. The email states:

"The pickups on this mode are actually designed to be ungrounded. Paul prefers the tone of the pickups when they are not grounded, but it does cause humming problems. However, there is an easy solution. You can place a ground wire from the height adjustment screw on the pickup ring and solder it onto the back of the volume pot. This will ground the pickup and reduce the hum."

Hi guys,
I got las week my first PRS, an SE C24 35th Anniversary.
Overall, I am very happy with the guitar: good finishes, beautiful top, good mechanics and a sound with tons of personality. I love it.
I am only concerned by one topic: noise.
As I said this is my first PRS, I come from an SSS Stratocaster and I expected to have less noise on a HH guitar. Unfortunately it is not the case.
In summary: when I plug the guitar in and use high gain I notice a strong hum that diminishes when I touch any metal part with my hands. When touching any metallic parts the noise is acceptable and lower than a single coil.
This made me first doubt about circuitry: grounding issues or cold solding so I opened up the back covers and checked (I am electrical engineer so I have a decent experience doing so) with a multimeter (diode tester) and found that all metallic parts (bridge, pots back covers, all ground solding, jack ground plate, blade switch) are well connected between them, no weird impedance, just full conductivity.
I also noticed that while the back, detachable covers are conductive, the inside wood cavity is not. just painted in black (which by the way is very well done) but no conductivity at all. This makes me think there is no Faraday shielding.

I just want to make sure that such configuration (no shielding) is standard and having such noise is a common behaviour.
Also, has anyone tried to shield pick ups and cavities with copper tape? does it reduce noise?

I was about to send the guitar back to the shop for replacement, yet I doubt it is something that happens on all PRS SE.
Can you help with some advise?

Back