2019 guitars release date

Sweetwater would be the best source for knowing when they will arrive. My sales engineer does a great job of this for me.

My sales engineer does a great job of this for me.

I like Sweetwater, and have bought studio gear from them since the only thing they sold was sounds for Kurzweil synths in the 80s, but I sure wish they hadn’t come up with this artificial term, “sales engineer”, when “salesperson” describes the job perfectly.

I guess they think “salesperson” isn’t impressive enough, the way “janitor” isn’t impressive enough, and janitors are now “custodial engineers”.

So much for degrees in engineering! What will we call real engineers, if jobs that don’t even require a high school degree are now engineering jobs?

And what happens when people see through the hype and being a “sales engineer” stops being fancy enough?

“Hi, this is Joe, your Doctor of Sales, how can I help you?”

“A doctor? If you went to medical school, why are you working for Sweetwater?”

“Oh, I’m not a medical doctor,”

“PhD?”

“No.”

“Dentist?”

“No.”

“Podiatrist? Juris Doctor?”

“No, I just sell gear. I’m a doctor of selling.”

“I see. Well, I’m the Mystical Great God of Music, Emperor of Debit Cards, King of Tone, and Holy Commander Doctor Engineer Jedi Knight In Charge of the Universe. I need a microphone, but first, Doctor, I’m getting a pain in the derrière from thinking about your magnified title.”

I like Sweetwater, and have bought studio gear from them since the only thing they sold was sounds for Kurzweil synths in the 80s, but I sure wish they hadn’t come up with this artificial term, “sales engineer”, when “salesperson” describes the job perfectly.

I guess they think “salesperson” isn’t impressive enough, the way “janitor” isn’t impressive enough, and janitors are now “custodial engineers”.

So much for degrees in engineering! What will we call real engineers, if jobs that don’t even require a high school degree are now engineering jobs?

And what happens when people see through the hype and being a “sales engineer” stops being fancy enough?

“PhD?”

“No.”

“Dentist?”

“No.”

“I see. Well, I’m the Mystical Great God of Music, Emperor of Debit Cards, King of Tone, and Holy Commander Doctor Engineer Jedi Knight In Charge of the Universe. I need a microphone, but first, Doctor, I’m getting a pain in the derrière from thinking about your magnified title.”

I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I approve of this message!

“PhD?”

“No.”

“Dentist?”

“No.”

Sales Manager = Professor of Retail Therapy!

As someone who also has a BS and MS in Engineering I agree with everything you said.

*BUT*

We have sanitation engineers, sound engineers, PhDs in Underwater Basketweaving, Sociology, etc. How do we judge which is and isn't a real title?

I say "who cares"?

Hi . . .
I pre-ordered a CE 24 Semi-Hollow through Sweetwater. Can someone tell me when these guitars will be availsble?

Thanks

Weet

I would call and ask Sweetwater. I have a CE24 Semi arriving today, but I bought it from a different retailer. I'd say based on what I am seeing available on Reverb.com and various "small" online retailers I buy from that the guitars are starting to show. Sweetwater's availability might be dependent upon how many pieces they ordered in each color. Call them - it's often best to get your information from the source.

With all due respect to everyone here, the term "sales engineer" and "pre-sales engineer" is actually quite commonplace in the B2B and B2C space. The responsibilities of the title will vary from company to company, but its a very common thing to come across. I have found that formal education doesn't add up to quality "sales ability" though. Some of the best sales people I have ever met have a high school diploma, never went to college, and are making $300-$400k a year; leading very happy lives. Some are even VPs in Fortune 100 companies.

Last edited:
With all due respect to everyone here, the term "sales engineer" and "pre-sales engineer" is actually quite commonplace in the B2B and B2C space.

It’s still an inflated title, intended to add perceived importance to the person using it, because people don’t seem to think ‘salesperson’ has sufficient clout. So it’s just silly.

Incidentally, I’m not saying everyone who’s successful needs a college degree.

It’s still an inflated title, intended to add perceived importance to the person using it, because people don’t seem to think ‘salesperson’ has sufficient clout. So it’s just silly.

Let's just agree to disagree @LSchefman. I've got too much respect for you to argue about something so trivial here on the PRS forum. Hope all is well my friend.

“PhD?”

“No.”

“Dentist?”

“No.”

I have a MS in BS if that is any consolation.

So, you'd be happier with "Sales Dude?" I asked my Sweetwater guy if I could call him that, and he said "of course you can. That's what I am." So, I think they're ok with it.

Back