2019 DGT Finish

RJL

Hey guys, here's a question as I'm a bit confused about the finish used on 2019 DGT, more specifically if it's nitro or not.

I asked PRS customer service about this and they said the DGTs started receiving the new Nitro CAB finish sometime in late 2019 and before that they still had acrylic topcoats

Then I checked PRS Customer Support website, 2019 Guitar Back Colors. There it explicitly says DGT/Gloss Nitro. I also recall seeing Paul say in some magazine interview that 2019 DGT will get the nitro finish.

Can anyone confirm was nitro indeed used in 2019? I think I would prefer to have the nitro, but as DGT selection is quite limited in this part of the world, it would be nice to know what years to look at.

Hi I have a similar issue. I've just ordered a Custom 24 in antique violin smokeburst. It's on a manager's special. According to the shop it's a 2018 or 2019 (I suspect they want to make space for new stock), though I can't find anything about it on the PRS website though probably need to do some more digging but it would be interesting to find the spec including whether or not its nitro.

Does it sound awesome when you play it? That’s the one you choose.

I have no idea what Mr. Clean has for a finish and, frankly, couldn’t care less. It doesn’t flake, hasn’t turned white, because, well...it’s WHITE...and takes my regular abuse.

I always thought the DGT was nitro finished since its introduction...

Hi I have a similar issue. I've just ordered a Custom 24 in antique violin smokeburst. It's on a manager's special. According to the shop it's a 2018 or 2019 (I suspect they want to make space for new stock), though I can't find anything about it on the PRS website though probably need to do some more digging but it would be interesting to find the spec including whether or not its nitro.
If it's 2018, it's definitely not nitro. If it was after the end of October, 2019, there is a possibility that it could be nitro.

Hey guys, here's a question as I'm a bit confused about the finish used on 2019 DGT, more specifically if it's nitro or not.

I asked PRS customer service about this and they said the DGTs started receiving the new Nitro CAB finish sometime in late 2019 and before that they still had acrylic topcoats

Then I checked PRS Customer Support website, 2019 Guitar Back Colors. There it explicitly says DGT/Gloss Nitro. I also recall seeing Paul say in some magazine interview that 2019 DGT will get the nitro finish.

Can anyone confirm was nitro indeed used in 2019? I think I would prefer to have the nitro, but as DGT selection is quite limited in this part of the world, it would be nice to know what years to look at.
I seem to recall reading, or watching a video, where it was said that the DGT was nitro for all of 2019.

Looks like it was for 2019. Mentioned a couple of times in this thread.

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/yessss-they-removed-the-neck-binding-from-the-dgt-again.37927/

Thanks bodia! That would be great as there is a very nice 2019 for sale with a killer top. Still would have to order it online from another country as there are only 2 DGTs for sale in the country I live in (2017 and 2018).

I guess what makes me a bit confused still is PRS customer service saying they were acrylic and the fact that none of the dealers seemed to advertise the 2019s as having nitro. After all, it's a selling point to some fools like me :D

Hi Bodia, thanks for that it seems to fit. I've checked the description again and it's actually called violin amber smokeburst but yes it's a 2018. I'm sure it's great whatever the finish!

The DGT has seen a couple different finishes at different times. It, like the other guitars on the line, went V12 for a while after the first couple years of nitro. '19 was a break in finish for the year - it's nitro again.

Back