2016 SE CU24 Tobacco Sunburst - Veneer Top Quality?

Merlin01

Just got some pictures from my dealer of the 2016 SE CU24 Tobacco Sunburst that I ordered. I have a couple of solid colour guitars and the flame/figured veneer top is new to me.
This being an online purchase of something I hadn't seen was a little distressing, but now I've seen it, I'm not quite sure what to think.
On first look, what stands out is the small (5%-10%) lack of figure near the rear of the top half. Only exaggerated by the thick, dark figure on the bottom half at the center line where they meet.
My question is: Where did the figure go in that one spot??? Considering it's fantastically symmetrical, consistent and lush everywhere else.
I did some searching and found some other TS tops looked much worse (to me) than this one - not matched, inconsistent figure all over the top etc... So relative to those, this one looks really good...
However, when I first saw it I didn't get that "YES" sensation I was expecting... Was I expecting to much?
What do you think?
2560_1
2560_2

Last edited:
That's a common phenomenon with any figured top - the wood figuring reflects light differently depending on the angle you're viewing it from. Since the halves are "bookmatched" (basically cut in half and then opened like the pages of a book), the halves will often reflect light in opposite fashion to each other. So, what you're seeing from the angles of that picture, will probably look quite different from other angles, and is perfectly normal.

That being said, I think that's a fantastic looking top! Don't sweat the figuring too much, learn to appreciate it as part of the beauty of something that comes from nature. I think that would be a 10 top by PRS standards if that were a USA model!

nuthin' wrong with that top.......

Were you expecting a "10 top" on an SE?

From the PRS FAQ:

9. What is a 10 top?
A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will usually have a small "10" written on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner. Some of our earlier guitars have the "10" stamped into the finish in the same position.

I have seen some startlingly good tops on SEs, but they are, after all, SEs and 10 tops simply are not an option.

I don't know what the standard is for the SE veneers, but it's totally normal for there to be some drops in figure, unless you're getting into Core 10 tops and above. I generally prefer the variation in non-10 tops. I like how they change when viewing from different angles.

Definitely agree with ruger. I've had good tops on SEs. I've had bad tops on SEs. Even my S2 doesn't have the greatest top when it comes to figuring. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. Even my Zach Myers has a top that's alright at best, but that thing just sings! SEs aren't about having the most beautiful guitar. They're a budget friendly guitar that still rocks. I mean, there are plenty of pro players out there that even tour SEs, Zach Myers included. Not saying it isn't possible to find an SE with a great top, but that's not what it's all about.

Besides, the top on your guitar looks great! I would definitely not be complaining about that at all.

Last edited:
I echo what the others said above about lighting, and how things look a little different, etc etc. Personally, I'd be more concerned how it SOUNDED. If it looked like poo, but sounded and felt good in my hands, I'd be a happy camper! YMMV

It's perfectly matched but then there is a slight wood carve towards the bottom of the body. I wouldn't expect it to lie up all the way. The one piece of wood is definitely matched, you can see it when it gets cut in half but bcs of the body's carve, the congruent lines separate from each other. Totally natural.

That's a lot nicer than the Tobacco Burst SECU24 I had a few years ago...hope it works out for you.

I would not sweat it my friend. What you have there is one tasteful looking, first class guitar! I've seen tons of Les Paul's over $2000 that don't have nearly that nice of a figure! Also, the burst was sprayed very nicely with a sweet reddish brown, and an excellent fade from the outer area to the inner area. It's just an amazing guitar, and especially for the price you paid. Congratulations!

One question, how does it sound? I`ve had good and great tops. One of my best sounding is an original Silver metallic SE Tremonti with #7 pickups. Looks ok, but other musicians snap their heads when I play it. It`s certainly not the playing of this Senior Citizen. Sound is most important.

Thanks Andy, rugerpc, garrett, drdoom, bodia, LSchefman, Fight, C/Carl, RGM, & dogrocketp.
You all helped make a quick study of figured tops.
As suggested, I'll reserve judgement until I can see, feel, play, and hear it for myself.
@dogrocketp I don't know how it sounds.The Dealer sent me photos yesterday and it was scheduled for a setup before shipping today...
I'd be lucky to get it by the end of the week, most likely early next week before I can hear it for myself.

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that top - it looks smoking!

Often, the PRS tops we see and salivate over are 10 tops, I would guess, so it makes sense your initial reaction is a bit guarded - but 10 tops cost quite a bit more. The one you have there, being a "regular" top, I think is really really nice. Actually, my 10-top custom 24 has some of the same "half-dead" spots (depending on angle). I don't worry about it.

Also, since it's a CE, not an SE, it's not veneer, but a solid top.

Look at the product page here, and you'll see you got a smoking' top (no false advertising here :)):

http://www.prsguitars.com/ce24/

Thanks Michael, it is a 2016 SE CUstom 24 - Tobacco Sunburst. So I have accepted the veneer is pretty good considering it's not the real deal.

I've got a blinding big quilt Singlecut and it ain't a ten top much to my amazement but it doesn't detract from the guitar, it's sweet.

Back