2009 SC250 vs 2020 S2 SC594

Mirroredas

I have no ideia about used prices. There's a 2009 Singlecut for about 2400 euros (dot inlays, the simpler one) in pretty good condition for sale somewhere online. To me, that's a bit too much. For a bit less, although not a core, would the S2 be a better choice? I know they're different, I'm just focusing more on the price range.

I’m with Toothace.
But...if the S2 is only ‘a bit less’, I would save a bit longer and get the 2009 (or a different one available at the time). It is a lot more guitar and unlikely to ever need to be upgraded to something better.
My SC250 from 2010 is all the single cut I need.

My only concern was that the singlecut might be priced a bit higher than what it's worth for a 10+ year stripped down core version, not necessarily spending a bit more. Again, I don't have much experience with the used market. I also can't try it out beforehand...

You can find SC245s for sale for less than $2000 occasionally. I know because I just sold mine 4 months ago for $1600. Of course, mine had significant wear. I've seen some killer deals around $1800 though for SC245s.

Personally, I'd be looking for a used SC245 over an S2 unless you can get the S2 for around $1000.

Is it ok if I post a couple of reverb links after a more detailed search? I know that there was something regarding used gear that was frowned upon on the forum, but can't remember what it was.

I'll assume you're in Europe.

Don't pay more than €2,000 for a used singlecut, even that's high. They don't keep their value, they're hard to sell. You'll end up selling it yourself for €1600 if you don't like it.

I'd consider paying €2k if it was really nice, with birds, etc, not for a plain jane.

Some people (especially Germany) don't have their heads screwed on with used values, they're off their dial. There's a shop I saw recently with a used Core Startla they were asking €1800... Yeah.... I'll give you a grand or nothing.

The 594 models are a lot dearer.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm looking only at European sellers at the moment (I live in Portugal). The one I posted at the link above is a 2017 SC594 in great condition, which for 2700 euros is a far better deal than the 2009 plain singlecut at 2400 that I mentioned first. They're selling for 3800 euros new at the moment (which I can't justify spending for a single guitar).

Your original post mentioned a SC250, but the "tingly" pic is a 594.

Based on the models listed, I'd REALLY recommend the 594. Those guitars simply deliver. If you can afford that 594, then get it. They are amazing instruments.

They want too much for the 2009. The S2 is not a "settling" guitar. It's a great guitar at a price more people can buy. Still, if you want the full core experience, wait and save up for it. Better to wait and get what you want than to always wonder what would have been.

Back