2003 Santana SE pickups

hhearst

hi. First post.

TLDR - what pickups should I put in a PRS Santana SE to get it back to original tone and size.

I recently bought a 2003 PRS Santana SE (red) on craigslist for cheap ($80) because only 1 pickup was working, but was otherwise in really good condition. 20 minutes of work and a battery change and both pickups were working. Yes, you heard right, battery change. Somewhere along the line somebody put in EMG actives in it. Plus, the pick guard is missing, I’m guessing because with the new pickups, the original pick guard did not fit. Or, maybe the original owner didn’t like it. Who knows....

Though the EMG’s are working and sound ok, I guess, it just does not sound right to me and is not really my thing. It also looks pretty good without the pick guard, but I think it would look better with one, plus it would cover up the screw holes. I’ve seen replacement pick guards for sale on eBay mostly and will pick up one soon.

My question is, what pickups and pots should I put in to get more original sounding tone? Hopefully, they would be the same trim size as well, but I could I’m looking for a more budget or value recommendation that makes sense for this quality level of a guitar. I’m very new to PRS and only been playing a couple of years, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
-Hal

Hi Toothace. Thanks for the offer. PM on it's way.

Any recommendations on replacement Pots? I assume I'll need to put a set of 500K pots in here.

Regards
-Hal

Back