.008 gauge stings

Kmldaddy

Hey all, wondering if anyone here uses this light of a gauge on their PRS. I have a custom 22 semi HB that came with I think they were 9’s or 10’s? But the high e strong broke and I decided to put on some 8 gauge strings because back in my younger days bigger was always better hahaha. I’ve always used heavy tops and slinky bottoms on my old guitars. I find that I have a very heavy touch as I’ve only been playing acoustic guitar in the recent years. So when I first put them on they sounded all out of wack. My intonation was way off and I spent hours trying to set it right. Only to find out it was me..... oops. Anyhow, I bought a set of 8.5 gauge as well and might try those out after I’m done with this set. I’m working on trying to get the guitar set up today as my neck has tons of back bow in it.

I have arthritis in my left hand and everything and even 9's are SLINKY on a PRS. I think the 9.5s are perfect for me on most of them, but still have 10s on a couple and they are great. I've tried 8's before back in my shred days, but broke WAY too many of them, and even power chords bend sharp unless you really change things up. Their a no-go for me.

Yea it’s a lot of mental changes but I kinda like it. My bar chords don’t hurt as much to sustain for longer periods of time. I find that I can slide through notes a lot easier. It takes me a good 10-15 minutes when I start playing to get that light touch again. I think I’m gonna stick with it for a while and see if i can do this. But yes chords are bent sharp a lot and even when fingerpicking I have to be lighter on my right hand.

I just tried 9's and wouldn't let myself get used to the string bending so much under the pick. I can't imagine 8's. But I bet it would help certain skills a lot. I found I was bending notes with the 9s a lot more than I intended to, so they were forcing me to focus on pressing straight down.

I've been using 8's for years. Since I work in a lumber yard, my hands get totally abused so most of the time my hands are very sore. I also have an old injury on my left middle finger. Basically put, after trying to be SRV when I was younger while using 13's, the skin would rip away from my nails and I'd have to stop playing for a week. Strangely, never have tuning issues, never break any, never noticed any deterioration in tone. They aint for everyone, but once you get used to strings that thin and flexible, its hard to use anything else.

I have .46 .36 .26 .14 .11 .08 on all my guitars. It’s the best of both worlds in my opinion. I just buy singles online.

I've used down to 7s on a Strat before and I honestly can't feel the high e string. They do have a spanky quality to them (goes for 8s as well) both tonally and feel . I usually play 9s on a strat and 10s on PRS. No harm in experimenting

Took me a while because it’s the first time I properly set up a guitar. Smooth like butter! Almost effortless to play
vQGzdeX

Back