What the heck are profile posts?

László

Too Many Notes
I don't understand the new software, I guess. I log on and there is a thing called "profile posts."

I have no idea what these are supposed to be about. Then again, I don't do much social media. Is this that kind of thing, or what?

And there are all these alerts. Why do I need to have alerts? I read the stuff I'm interested in.

Can I turn that sh#t off?

Also..the "like" thing...I like everyone. If someone posts in one of my threads, they get liked because I appreciate them for doing that. Am I doing the wrong thing? And what happens to all of these "likes?" Do they turn to "love" if you get enough of them?

I'm mystified by this explosion of SHTUFF.

Signed,

Clueless in Les Land.

Profile posts are analogous to status updates on fakebook. They're like a personal timeline that you can post in and others can comment on. Sort of a dedicated personal thread. It all takes place on your profile page.

You can use it or ignore it. But I don't think you can turn it off.

Oh they aren't bothering me. I just didn't know why I got them, and wondered if I could control that.

"Likes" are a way of showing you agree with a post without having to actually post yourself. Generally, people do one or the other. They do both if they really, really like what someone posted.

Oh. And the alerts I like are notice that someone has said something new in a thread I'm interested in, which is generally a subset of al threads with new posts. So it is a short cut for me to keep up with some conversation.

Profile posts scare me so I press the "warn" button on all of them that aren't mine.

If you collect enough "likes" you get to join the forum for free and don't have to pay yearly dues.

That's good. The elevator pass I had to buy here was pretty expensive.

That's good. The elevator pass I had to buy here was pretty expensive.

Elevator passes will never be free.

So what does a "warn" button do? I haven't been warned yet, so I guess I need to post on your profile page and find out.

The warn button is an artificial way of making your posts seem more popular. If a post gets enough responses in a set period of time, it gets a little flame beside it to indicate it's popular. The warn button kind of bumps you along in that process - normal post, warn post, hot post. I'm surprised they didn't disable it.

If you collect enough "likes" you get to join the forum for free and don't have to pay yearly dues.

That's just the first level. There's a second level of "likes" that gets you access to the Inner Circle section of the board.

Edited to add: Just for clarifcation, there is no Inner Circle section of the board. That's what I was told to say.

I just hit myself with 100 warning points.

It was a little disappointing. I didn't get any email or any little red notifications. But it's good to know that if you ever feel the need to warn yourself, you can.

Profile posts scare me so I press the "warn" button on all of them that aren't mine.

And here I was thinking that the dues to the PRS Experience Club would be waived if we got enough "likes":D

Back