Turn, Turn, Turn!

László

Too Many Notes
To everything there is a season...

Are two enough? Are three too many? Artist V, SC58, Sig...

Ever since putting the Sig Ltd in my studio, I've felt I could cover my bases nicely with any two of the bunch. If I'm going to rock 3 instruments, I've decided that 3 solid bodies are too much of a good thing; one of them simply needs to be more different. A hollow body. So I decided that one of mine must go.

The Sig's single coil tones and uniqueness took it off the table. It came down to picking between the SC58 and the Artist V in order to make my next move.

The SC58 is a wonderful guitar with great pickups, but the Artist V just felt more unusually lively to me, it's just an incredible guitar. It is my #1 for solos.

So even though the SC 58 was absolutely the prettiest of the bunch, IMHO, and had the most oomph and power, the SC has left the building.

While I'm sad to see it go, I'm going to really take my time and think about my next move carefully. Because I have the basics covered at this point, I can take my time and enjoy the thinking/checking things out process.

Incidentally, I know, I said they are all keepers, but in my lame defense I was getting paralysis by analysis when recording time rolled around. Now I can decide between two instead of three, and that's an improvement in my workflow. A hollow body will be a very different alternative.

Maybe even a hollow 12...I dunno. Not even close to decision time for me yet.

Last edited:
Good read.

I've been drooling for a Custom 22 Semi-Hollow Limited. An Artist Package HB would also be very nice.

See anything out there that catches your eye?

Good read.

I've been drooling for a Custom 22 Semi-Hollow Limited. An Artist Package HB would also be very nice.

Gosh, I had a CU22 SH Ltd, and I should have kept it, but I sold it to get an acoustic at the time. It's a great axe.

What's catching my eye is the HBII, the SCHBII (and you're right, awfully interesting with the AP), but I'm very intrigued by the JA15, especially since I don't need a piezo, and I do like to play a 12 string to get certain textures in tracks every so often.

I'm also wondering if there might be any limited runs with hollow or semi hollow bodies coming down the pike. I've had really stellar luck with the A-V and the Sig Ltd, just perfect guitars in every way considering I like a resonant, lively guitar. Come to think of it, the SH Ltd was a limited run, too, and it sounded so good. I don't know what they did for those things, but I really believe the limited runs have something going on. I will concede that it could be my imagination. But that's fine if it is - if it sounds good to me when I play it, even if it's psychological, fine. It's good!

Can't believe I didn't mention JA-15. I've posted numerous time about my desire for one.

Any of the guitars mentioned would be a winner. I think the Custom 22 SH Ltd is out being that you've owned one prior. Might as well try something new. I've seen some jaw dropping AP HB's. I think the JA-15's are stellar in the looks department as well. There's just something about that size and shape that commands respect.

Thanks. John D came up with some really beautiful designs. Actually, now that I think of it, there are some similarities between John D'Angelico and Paul. John took Gibson's hollowbody designs and greatly improved them...mostly the L-5 and Super 400. While Paul started out basically making Les Paul Juniors. Of course, Paul is a much better businessman than JD was. :)

Did you sell the SC-58 already?

Funny you mention the JA-15. Are you going to try one out first? I have an Artist V ( ebony FB) and a PS SC-58 with an ebony FB. (and a sig, no ebony) The JA-15 I tried was a great guitar, but it felt and sounded similar the Artist V. I never had them side by side, but the Artist V seems to cover alot of what I might try to accomplish with a hollow body guitar like the JA-15. For my purposes, having a Sig, AV and SC-58 give me a broader pallette, than Sig, A-V and JA-15. I hate this acronym, but YMMV.

Funny you mention the JA-15. Are you going to try one out first? I have an Artist V ( ebony FB) and a PS SC-58 with an ebony FB. (and a sig, no ebony) The JA-15 I tried was a great guitar, but it felt and sounded similar the Artist V. I never had them side by side, but the Artist V seems to cover alot of what I might try to accomplish with a hollow body guitar like the JA-15. For my purposes, having a Sig, AV and SC-58 give me a broader pallette, than Sig, A-V and JA-15. I hate this acronym, but YMMV.

Sounds like I need to try an A-V. The gold hardware is a major turnoff for me and I dislike modifying my guitars so I've never tried one.

Yeah, I did sell it earlier in the week. My SC58 also had an ebony FB. Interesting that you and I have similar tastes.

Here's what was happening doing my recording with the SC58 and A-V that led to my decision: My SC58 had a huge low end and a lot of oomph. The sustain was magnificent. But my tracks generally have a lot of things going on; usually they include keys, etc. So I found myself EQing a chunk of the low end out of the SC guitar tracks, and at that point, I was accomplishing pretty much the same stuff I get with the A-V.

So when I wanted a traditional humbucker sound, I was simply reaching for the A-V because it fit the workflow a little more.

Thing is, you may be right about getting what I need from the A-V instead of hollow body guitars. I can't say yet. I listened to clip after clip of HBs and JA last night, and realized I just need to go play some guitars; I can't get a feel for this on clips alone.

It's very possible that I simply don't need three 6-strings. If I decide that's the case. I might go with a 12.

Myself, being pretty much an unknown luthier, I share your affection for Mr. DAngelico. He died way before his time. I kindly say though, he never sought commercial success, it was his nemisis. He turned away many musicians simply for being anxious or wanting a cutaway. D'Angelico did not like cutaways. Only after a lot of pressure from musicians and much design tweaking did he finally give in. For Jazz guitars, D'Angelico is the Master Luthier of all time. More excitingly, we are living in the times (and playing the guitars) of the Master Electric Guitar Luthier of all time, Mr Paul Reed Smith. Thirty-one years of playing before I had the cash and opportunity to buy a hand signed C-24. That just tickles me all over, because I will never be able to afford an original D'Angelico and it was looking like I was not going to get a PRS either until recent fate. As musicans we are living in an exciting time of Paul Reed Smith as generations ahead will look back on ever so fondly.

That said Les, the Hollowbody 12 would be cool for you. It does bring alot to the the table. As much as I would like many PRS'S, I can only justify three. My trem C24, ME Quatro Stoptail, it is gorgeous by the way. Still paying on it. My last will be a Hollowbody, likely the 12 srtring to complete my tonal pallette. I hope to pursue my 12 string in the fall as a PS JA-15 12 string or the stock HB12. Happy Huntiing Les.

Sounds like I need to try an A-V. The gold hardware is a major turnoff for me and I dislike modifying my guitars so I've never tried one.

Here's the thing about the A-V (I have the trem version):

With the ribbon mahogany lightweight back, the peruvian mahogany neck, and ebony FB, you have a very resonant, but articulate combination. The pickups are superb. I can't speak for all A-Vs, but the guitar simply feels more lively than anything else I've ever played, period, bar none. I am having difficulty finding the right words for this description, by the way.

Now, it's entirely possible I've just gotten a good one, and bonded with it. There's that. But I tend to think that the A-V was a very special run.

We all have our preferences; I'm more used to the fatter necks (the A-V is pattern regular). But the guitar is just so good that I got over that in about ten seconds. You might find it to your liking, too.

Good read.

So when you pick up your next at the dealer, you can try a sapphire HB piezo, a mocha semi hollow and maybe an amber arch top.

I always get sad when you let a 58 go:( :D
Good luck on the search Les. Any of the HB PRS would be a good option, I have a hard time picturing them sounding like a solidbody. Mine doesn't sound like any of my other guitars. Know you don't need the piezo because you can always overdub an acoustic track, but the piezo option may save you time if you're doing a true double overdub. Also could be used as a texture effect blended in. I think it could be rather useful for different tones in the studio even if not a straight raw acoustic tone.

A 12 would be cool too though, someone had a sale on 12 str HB's...can't remember who.

Sell the Artist and build a PS semi-hollow trem.

Put your name on it along with something pragmatic on the eagle's banner so you will feel like a goon if you ever sell it.

I always get sad when you let a 58 go:( :D
Good luck on the search Les. Any of the HB PRS would be a good option, I have a hard time picturing them sounding like a solidbody. Mine doesn't sound like any of my other guitars. Know you don't need the piezo because you can always overdub an acoustic track, but the piezo option may save you time if you're doing a true double overdub. Also could be used as a texture effect blended in. I think it could be rather useful for different tones in the studio even if not a straight raw acoustic tone.

A 12 would be cool too though, someone had a sale on 12 str HB's...can't remember who.

Well...After this weekend all I know is that I'm not sane enough to pull the trigger on anything. What guitar did I like the best of what I played? You guessed it. An SC....

Sell the Artist and build a PS semi-hollow trem.

Put your name on it along with something pragmatic on the eagle's banner so you will feel like a goon if you ever sell it.

What if I already feel like a goon? ;)

Back