Tattoo advice

Having plenty of ink myself, I will agree with the ever occurring statement of getting something "that has meaning to you". It, or the removal scar, will be there for a very long time.

I had 99% of my work done when I was in the Army and all of them mean something very important to me.

As was mentioned, think about location. I have ink on my forearms and calves. Not a big deal when I am hanging out or playing gigs. But when I go to work, I don't wear polo shirts....I wear long sleeve shirts year round. When I golf, I wear khaki pants and a long sleeve golf shirt. There remains a stigma about tattoos that will not go away in our lifetime. So just like in real estate, location is everything!

One more thing, be picky about your artist and don't go with the cheapest. Do your research before picking a shop, talk with the artist before any money changes hands, and verify the outline on your skin before letting the work start! Do NOT go into a shop, look at art work, and just say "I WANT THAT!"

I believe in enjoying the present, but I'm more comfortable today knowing that I'm prepared for the future.

Having plenty of ink myself, I will agree with the ever occurring statement of getting something "that has meaning to you". It, or the removal scar, will be there for a very long time.

I had 99% of my work done when I was in the Army and all of them mean something very important to me.

As was mentioned, think about location. I have ink on my forearms and calves. Not a big deal when I am hanging out or playing gigs. But when I go to work, I don't wear polo shirts....I wear long sleeve shirts year round. When I golf, I wear khaki pants and a long sleeve golf shirt. There remains a stigma about tattoos that will not go away in our lifetime. So just like in real estate, location is everything!

One more thing, be picky about your artist and don't go with the cheapest. Do your research before picking a shop, talk with the artist before any money changes hands, and verify the outline on your skin before letting the work start! Do NOT go into a shop, look at art work, and just say "I WANT THAT!"

This is great advice!

I'm glad you've made a decision.

Please keep in mind one really important thing:

The tattoo looks "sharpest" right after you get it. Within 6 months the ink starts to "melt into your skin", if you will, and the image blurs.

That one tattoo image you posted of a Floyd-Rose-type guitar was sharp as heck, and will look nothing like that 2 years after the photo was taken (which was probably right after the tattoo was done, before it had even fully set).

My tattoo of a Welsh dragon is a black line image filled by red (i.e. exactly the dragon on the Welsh flag) - pretty simple, really. The black line has widened from a line thinner than 1/64" to about 1/32". Still looks good, but if I had counted on details that fine, like shading or fine webbing in the wings, etc, I'd be starting to get disappointed right about now.

The tattoo image you have selected looks appropriate - any fading/stretching you experience will not detract from the overall art. Just remember it will not stay identical to how it looks the day you get it.

I'm glad you've made a decision.

Please keep in mind one really important thing:

The tattoo looks "sharpest" right after you get it. Within 6 months the ink starts to "melt into your skin", if you will, and the image blurs.

That one tattoo image you posted of a Floyd-Rose-type guitar was sharp as heck, and will look nothing like that 2 years after the photo was taken (which was probably right after the tattoo was done, before it had even fully set).

My tattoo of a Welsh dragon is a black line image filled by red (i.e. exactly the dragon on the Welsh flag) - pretty simple, really. The black line has widened from a line thinner than 1/64" to about 1/32". Still looks good, but if I had counted on details that fine, like shading or fine webbing in the wings, etc, I'd be starting to get disappointed right about now.

The tattoo image you have selected looks appropriate - any fading/stretching you experience will not detract from the overall art. Just remember it will not stay identical to how it looks the day you get it.
Tnx!

Tattoos are cool and all, but if you have to users on a PRS forum which/what kind of tattoo to get you probably aren't ready IMO.

Last edited:

I got tattoos down my arm when i was younger, i was a field electrician for the union and i never saw myself doing anything else. About 3 months ago i was promoted to an office position. Now that i am here i realize i cant do polo shirts ever, i am doomed to wear long sleeved shirts everyday no matter what. Its not a huge problem because i love my tattoos. But it is something to think about.

Do you play bass???
I don`t. But I have 5 bass guitars at my collection.
If you're not a bass player, WHY would you get a bass tattoo? o_O
If you're not a bass player, why do you have five bass guitars?

You had alluded to the fact that perhaps you don't play guitar much, but I didn't recognize the underlying meaning:

I like guitars, not play them but just have them.

If you truly are a collector only, and don't play guitar at all, then...well...I got nothing.

I think you should get the bass tat on one arm, a keyboard tat spiraling up the other arm and a full 80s style drum kit across your back.

I think you should get the bass tat on one arm, a keyboard tat spiraling up the other arm and a full 80s style drum kit across your back.
Not sure if your serious or trolling.

You're looking at some pretty big tats for a first timer... Most people start quite a bit smaller, and in inconspicuous places.

And you're looking at things that don't really seem very life changing... Just owning a few bass guitars doesn't seem like as solid a reason to get a bass tat than if you were Geddy Lee...

If you just want a tat to have a tat, maybe you should be looking at something more conservative.

You're looking at some pretty big tats for a first timer... Most people start quite a bit smaller, and in inconspicuous places.

And you're looking at things that don't really seem very life changing... Just owning a few bass guitars doesn't seem like as solid a reason to get a bass tat than if you were Geddy Lee...

If you just want a tat to have a tat, maybe you should be looking at something more conservative.
Reasonable advice, give some examples?

Back