Tattoo advice

DaGG

Hi. Lots of my friends have tattoos. Some have sexy girls, cars, guns etc. I don`t have one. What should I get?

Why is it so bad?

I didn't say "bad;" I said be different.

Have you ever bought something and later changed your mind? It's a bit more difficult to return a tattoo. My daughter has a couple of tasteful (IMO) tattoos, but now that she's in her upper 30s, she wishes she didn't have them. I would wager that she will feel even more so when she's 50.

I have no problem with tattoos and some are pretty cool. For me, it's the permanency that would trouble me.

But hey, I have friends on this site that have really cool ones. It's really a personal decision, and I should shut my trap! Tattoo away! :).

And please everyone, enjoy the holidays!

Last edited:
Tattoos are fine, if you really want one.

Do you?

I've seen some really cool tats. But you will have it, or the scar from its removal, forever. It isn't a casual decision.

Last edited:
milky-way-bar-no-regerts-sorry-a.jpg

I have never understood the attraction. As an example; to me, one of the most beautiful things in the world is a woman's form. I'm not trying to be covertly sexual. I mean the silhouette, the curves, the subtle provocation of a black dress and pearls against skin. Then I see half of a birds wing sticking out from under the cloth and I think "Really? You have to interrupt an otherwise complete statement of refinement and class with someone else's ability to draw?" God made it perfect. Why do we feel the need to put graffiti on it?

But I'm not accustomed to being contrary, so I'll say, it's your body, do what you want with it. I just don't understand why.

I like the idea of a tattoo...a good tattooer is as much an artist as anyone who's work you see hanging in a museum. The idea facscinates me...I LOVE Inkmaster...but the idea of having one does not excite me. As others have said...once it's there, it's there. I love my Peter Max works, but would I want one on my skin? If I ever get tired of the art on the wall, I can take it down and replace it with something else that I like. Not so with a tattoo. As others have also said, it's a personal decision. If your question is "all my friends have tattoos, which one should I get", then I'd say DON'T:eek: If your question is " I've really thought about getting a tattoo and am looking for ideas for a subject of my first tattoo", then I'd say make it something that has meaning to you. I'd advise keeping it off your neck/face and hands, and depending on your line of work keep it under a short sleeve work shirt.;)

My two cents....

Tattoos are a VERY personal decision and should really be the sole decision of the receiver.

I wouldn't ever feel comfortable telling someone else what to tattoo on their body. But if you really want a tattoo, go for it...just be sure it's something that YOU want and not something somebody else is urging you to get.

Regardless of your decision, wear it with pride. Even if it does say "No Regerts" :p

"If all your friends jumped off a bridge would you do it too?"
xkcd.com, comic #1170

http://www.xkcd.com/1170/

Yes. Most of my friends are reasonable, logical folks. So if they are all jumping off a bridge, either:

1. They all went crazy at the exact same time.
2. There is something dangerously wrong with the bridge or something about to be wrong with the bridge. Like a giant boulder, semi-truck crashing, giant floodwater wave, alien laser, velociraptor.

Probability of #1 is far lower than #2, in my estimation.

Anyway, back to the tattoo:

IMHO, most folks should get a tattoo only if they really want to make a permanent statement about something that is close to their heart/soul. And some folks are probably better off never making that decision, due to bad impulses that they think are long-term sensible decisions.

I never had the desire to get a tattoo until my Dad passed away, at which point I considered getting a tattoo of a Welsh dragon on my calf (he was born in Wales). It took me another 10 years or so to actually get the tattoo - at first I wanted to make sure I really wanted it, and then it kind of faded into a "one day" thing, and the idea was eventually re-ignited when my girlfriend (now wife) mentioned she was looking to get another tattoo for a particular significant memory/associate too.

On the other hand, I know lots of folks who have lots of tattoos, and get them almost like they are collecting artwork. And I've seen some really nice art on some really attractive young ladies, and it only added to the mystique. I am curious what they will look like in 30 years, though...

But I do not suggest getting a tattoo just because your friends have one. Wait until you really really want one, almost need it.

But, that's just my opinion. On the other hand, you solicited opinions, so I assume you value the input...

I have never understood the attraction. As an example; to me, one of the most beautiful things in the world is a woman's form. I'm not trying to be covertly sexual. I mean the silhouette, the curves, the subtle provocation of a black dress and pearls against skin. Then I see half of a birds wing sticking out from under the cloth and I think "Really? You have to interrupt an otherwise complete statement of refinement and class with someone else's ability to draw?" God made it perfect. Why do we feel the need to put graffiti on it?

But I'm not accustomed to being contrary, so I'll say, it's your body, do what you want with it. I just don't understand why.
Could NOT have said it better myself. Bravo, my friend!
Kevin

Back