Speaker magnets damaging guitar pickups

Veetwin

I watched a youtube guitar guy last night. He was talking about storing guitars and mentioned never put you guitar near your amp or other speakers for any length of time. He was saying the speaker magnets will demagnetize the pickups in your guitar. Then i thought about that and have one of my PRS's in a floor stand right next to my stereo speaker.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm What do you guys and girls think? Regards To all, Steve

You can de-gauss a magnet with an apposing one if they are strong enough. I used to charge/decharge magnets used in our analytical chem systems ( mass spectrometer) I certainly wouldn't store a guitar next to a large speaker mag just to be safe.

You can de-gauss a magnet with an apposing one if they are strong enough. I used to charge/decharge magnets used in our analytical chem systems ( mass spectrometer) I certainly wouldn't store a guitar next to a large speaker mag just to be safe.
How close is too close with an inch of wood between them and the air space between the speaker magnet and the side of the cabinet?

I watched a youtube guitar guy last night. He was talking about storing guitars and mentioned never put you guitar near your amp or other speakers for any length of time. He was saying the speaker magnets will demagnetize the pickups in your guitar. Then i thought about that and have one of my PRS's in a floor stand right next to my stereo speaker.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm What do you guys and girls think? Regards To all, Steve
That was a wildly misinformed piece of advice.

I think you'd have to have a neodymium magnet and leave the pickup directly on it for it to do anything.

i don't think short term exposure with an inch of insulating material is an issue unless it a BIG magnet .

For those that remember Cathode Ray Tubes ( the old monitor / tv's ) You could wipe them out with a strong magnet, same with a disk drive ....

bottom line ... don't lose sleep , but it never hurts to be prudent.

I think you'd have to have a neodymium magnet and leave the pickup directly on it for it to do anything.
Also the movement across the flux field. They couldn't even mess up credit cards in myth busters without creating a specialized process.

That said, I don't put my guitars next to my speakers :)

I did read about Andy Summers demagnetizing the pickups in his Telecaster because he laid his guitar close to a hidden transformer or something on a train he was traveling on.

Got to the gig and his guitar didn't work.

From what I understand the fix was recharging the magnets in the pickups.

Agreed. I took a deep dive on this one, and found a couple of famous pickup builders (I forget which ones) say leaning the guitar up against a combo is not going to affect the pickups; certainly not in your lifetime. I no longer worry about it.

Back