PRS Angelus models

I just remembered you wanted to hear the one I have. I should upload and send you today's practice session, but the playing is so un-worthy that it may be distracting.

I'm working hard to recover my pre-Covid playing skills. I went so far down the orchestral music rabbit hole I hardly played it, and as a result, my playing is in the cellar. It's gonna take some time to get the skills back.
Take your time but please don’t forget, looking forward to hearing that baby.

When I don’t want the giant Grand Piano sound, I reach for this 12 Fret guitar. Perfect for Hawaiian Slack Key and the neck isn’t quite as wide as the McManus, which I struggle with at times. I do miss those comfy Taylor necks and occasionally get the itchy again, but not happening any time soon.

I’ve yet to play an Adirondack top, but I’ve never heard anyone say they didn’t like it. I’d love to try an African Blackwood/Adi top.

image.jpg
Wow! That’s a pretty little guitar! Who makes that??

I would like to hear what your treasure sounds like as well if you don't mind sharing!
Ohhh Dude, that guitar sounds awesome!! These PRS acoustics have such a full sound the maple sides and back give it such crisp overtones!

You really should share the link here, it sounds great, nice playing!! Thanks for doing that! Now I need to record two with a mic, not just an iPhone.

Here ya go: The maple body/Adirondack top Tonare grand, with ebony fretboard and maple neck. It's strung with D'Addario 80/20 bronze coated strings, in a bluegrass set: light tops, medium bottoms. I find this guitar really accentuates the differences between strings, but this is my favorite set with it.

However, first the obligatory apologia/disclaimer! :)

What happened to my acoustic playing over the last few years has not been helped by concentrating on writing orchestral music, ignoring the acoustic guitar, etc. I lost a chunk o' skillz!

Blah-blah-blah - excuses, right?

What I did (and am still doing) was start from ground zero; break it all down, play simple, cowboy-chord, arpeggiated stuff at moderate tempo, concentrate on picking rhythmically and cleanly, getting a good tone, and gradually building things back up.

A few weeks ago I decided to record myself practicing, just kind of winging it (no particular song is being played), and seeing how it sounded. There's no real melody, and no fancy stuff. There are still lots of mis-hit strings, and unclear notes. It ain't a concert, it's practice!

I flat-picked using a Blue Chip 35 (.89 mm) Fender style pick on this one. The mic is a Neumann TLM103 into a BAE 1073 mic preamp.

There's no EQ. I put a little LA-2A on to even out the amplitude for streaming from my website. So, it's a very simple signal path.

I did a fade-out at the end. The guitar sustains forever, but I didn't want to hear background noise, AC, etc., at the end.

Anyway, this is a gear demo, not a playing demo. Link:

Last edited:
Here ya go: The maple body/Adirondack top Tonare grand, with ebony fretboard and maple neck. It's strung with D'Addario 80/20 bronze coated strings, in a bluegrass set: light tops, medium bottoms. I find this guitar really accentuates the differences between strings, but this is my favorite set with it.

What happened to my acoustic playing over the last few years has not been helped by concentrating on writing orchestral music, ignoring the acoustic guitar, etc. I lost a chunk o' skillz!

What I did (and am still doing) was start from ground zero; break it all down, play simple, cowboy-chord, arpeggiated stuff at moderate tempo, concentrate on picking rhythmically and cleanly, getting a good tone, and gradually building things back up.

A few weeks ago I decided to record myself practicing, just kind of winging it (no particular song is being played), and seeing how it sounded. There's no real melody, and no fancy stuff. There are still lots of mis-hit strings, and unclear notes. It ain't a concert, it's practice!

I flat-picked using a Blue Chip 35 (.89 mm) Fender style pick on this one. The mic is a Neumann TLM103 into a BAE 1073 mic preamp.

There's no EQ. I put a little LA-2A on to even out the amplitude for streaming from my website. So, it's a very simple signal path.

I did a fade-out at the end. The guitar sustains forever, but I didn't want to hear background noise, AC, etc., at the end.

Thanks for sharing that clip and the details! That fiddle does sound FANTASTIC!! I can only imagine the in person experience and how much better it is!!! I have only tried the SE acoustics from PRS, but I will have to put my hands on a PS one or old core model at some point as the SE's did not do it for me, but that one sure does ;~))

Thanks for sharing that clip and the details! That fiddle does sound FANTASTIC!! I can only imagine the in person experience and how much better it is!!! I have only tried the SE acoustics from PRS, but I will have to put my hands on a PS one or old core model at some point as the SE's did not do it for me, but that one sure does ;~))
It's pretty much what you'd expect of a PS. Paul R. Smith The Man went with my dealer to the vault to tap and hand-pick the wood blanks for tone. I asked them to prioritize tone over looks.

I wasn't very concerned with appearance, though it looks nice, in an understated way. I went with the standard appointments; the only thing I spec'd was the woods used, and the antique natural type of stain.

It sounds so good in person! I'm not kidding when I say I haven't gone acoustic guitar shopping since I got it in Fall, 2013. I'm happy with it!

hb9MUm7.jpg

Last edited:
It's pretty much what you'd expect of a PS. Paul R. Smith The Man went with my dealer to the vault to tap and hand-pick the wood blanks for tone. I asked them to prioritize tone over looks.

I wasn't very concerned with appearance, though it looks nice, in an understated way. I went with the standard appointments; the only thing I spec'd was the woods used, and the antique natural type of stain.

It sounds so good in person! I'm not kidding when I say I haven't gone acoustic guitar shopping since I got it in Fall, 2013. I'm happy with it!

hb9MUm7.jpg
Love it! Lets see the back :cool:

Love it! Lets see the back :cool:

It's not "all that". Lighter spots on the back aren't dead spots, they're reflections from windows. The color and figuring are very even. Just not very exciting!

The finish is Smoky Blonde Burst. I originally wanted natural, but the PS folks talked me out of it, saying a PS should be more unique, and suggested this. I'm glad they did.

YzQPfw5.jpg

Last edited:

Sounds great! Now I want a maple back and sides PS acoustic! :)

It's not "all that". Lighter spots on the back aren't dead spots, they're reflections from windows. The color and figuring are very even. Just not very exciting!

The finish is Smoky Blonde Burst. I originally wanted natural, but the PS folks talked me out of it, saying a PS should be more unique, and suggested this. I'm glad they did.

YzQPfw5.jpg
WOW !!! That is just unreal. I love that smoky blonde! Totally beautiful and classy!

WOW !!! That is just unreal. I love that smoky blonde! Totally beautiful and classy!
My original goal was to have a PS that wouldn't scream 'very expensive guitar' when I took it out during a session with clients or other musicians in the room. I figured a plain, natural finish would work best - you know, make it look like a Gibson SJ or similar to not draw attention.

This is kinda-sorta that; I've seen maple Taylors in a similar amber shade.

So it's pretty, but a little boring. Don't get me wrong, I like what I picked, given my original concept. But now I'd say to heck with that idea! I'd get something darker and more interesting; I like the mysterious look of Tiger Eye glow. Kind of traditional, but not. ;)

Sounds great! Now I want a maple back and sides PS acoustic! :)
Glad you like how it sounds!

One of the things that helps make it great, both for tone and ease of maintenance, is that it has carbon fiber truss rods instead of an adjustable metal truss rod. I don't know if that's still an option, but it's great.

First, the guitar's neck has remained perfectly straight for almost ten years, no issues, no maintenance at all.

Second, the resonance of metal is different than that of carbon fiber. The carbon fiber seems to not ring in the audible frequency range, or ring less, and I find the guitars with the carbon rods sound 'woodier', more even up and down the neck, and more natural (this is my second PRS acoustic with carbon fiber, and I've had guitars with maple bodies and a similar size with metal rods that emphasized certain notes).

So I'd recommend the carbon fiber rods highly. The choice just works better (for me - your mileage may vary, price does not include tax or transportation fees, do not taunt Happy Fun Ball). :)

Back