PRS Angelus models

Beautiful guitar! I don't think you can go wrong with that one. I am mainly a Martin man when it comes to acoustics. I picked up my 74 D-35, new, at Chuck's, many moons ago. A year or so ago, I picked up a used D-18GE. But, I have a Taylor GAMC (mahogany/cedar) that is wonderful for finger picking. Is Koa more like rosewood or mahogany in tone?
Koa is much closer to mahogany than it is to rosewood.

Folks I have to give a BIG THANK YOU for helping me on this journey , your insight and clips made it worthwhile and while I'd contemplated many other instruments , I think I lucked into if nothing else a piece of valuable history . I got to meet Ricky at the Ryman about 25 years ago , we were touring it with Family up there, he was very sweet and asked us if we wanted to come to the show that night , how many of us were there? I felt embarassed as we had a Big crew , I smiled and said we are a big clan Sir there are 14 of us ... No problem .. free tickets .. I'll never forget that show , the only one I ever enjoyed with my late folks.

Great looks, great tone on the clip, awesome story/history and for your birthday no less... Awesome!

here's a Martin Simpson with the same Pernambuco/Adi combo but ebony fretboard

Playing is quite similar to a Taylor, maybe slightly more demanding.
I did this a while ago and it might give you a sense of sound. Just a simple GoPro. PRS are 3rd and 4th, Taylor at the end.
The sound of that PRS Tonare really stood out to me from that selection! After scrolling, I see that Greywolf opted for a very similar model!! Thanks for sharing that clip Veinbuster!!!

OMG .. I think I may have died and gone to heaven .. built for Ricky Skaggs ... it is just TOO special to pass up , so I pulled the trigger , Got it for $315 off asking .same price as the McManus I was looking at ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Greywolf!!!

Specifications​

Product Year: 2010
Model: Tonare Grand
Serial #: A100410
Body Type: Large, Grand Auditorium
Back & Sides Wood: Pernambuco
Top Wood: Spruce - Adirondack (Red)
Neck Wood: Pernambuco
Neck Profile: C
Bridge: Pernambuco
Rosette: Pernambuco
Top Trim: MOP
Fingerboard: Pernambuco
Fingerboard Bindings: Pernambuco
Fret Markers: MOP Doves
Frets to Body: 14
Headplate: Pernambuco
Headstock Bindings: Pernambuco
Headstock Inlay: MOP
Instrument Finish: Gloss
Body Bindings: Pernambuco
Tuners: PRS
Tuner Finish: Gold with Ivoroid buttons
Cutaway: None
Pickguard: Clear
Pickup: PRS
Pickup (y/n): Yes
Body Length: 20.25 in
Upper Bout: 11.75 in
Lower Bout: 16 in
Body Depth Heel: 4.125 in
Body Depth Tail: 4.875 in
Scale Length: 25.25 in
Scale Length (mm): 641 mm
Nut Width: 1.69 in
Nut Width (mm): 43 mm
String Spacing: 2.125 in
String Spacing (mm): 54 mm
Instrument Weight Pounds & Ounces: 5 lb. 13 oz.
Case: Original - Ameritage
productImage
2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-2.jpg

2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-9.jpg

You Mr Greywolf, have assembled a dream collection of PRSi here! Congrats on a great choice/score!! As I mentioned above, I watched Veinbuster's clip and I thought, wow, that Tonare with the Pernambuco is the ONE, and as I scroll, I see that is what you opted for. The clip that you posted of this git being played reinforces what I believe, that you have made a very Dreamy sound decision!!!

Thanks Moondog . The tough part about being a collector and luthier is , at my age ( 68 next month) it's hard to find something I don't have or can't build . Each aquisition makes the task that much harder and ... more expensive . Thankfully my Son and grandsons realize that these are Family investments and heirlooms to be cherished for the next 2 generations at least. While I find it hard to imagine something more delicious than my K26CE I'm waiting to retire that sweetheart now.
28109_Used_K26ce_1103264136_a_383x@3x.progressive.jpg

Last edited:
OMG .. I think I may have died and gone to heaven .. built for Ricky Skaggs ... it is just TOO special to pass up , so I pulled the trigger , Got it for $315 off asking .same price as the McManus I was looking at ... HAPPY BIRTHDAY Greywolf!!!

Specifications​

Product Year: 2010
Model: Tonare Grand
Serial #: A100410
Body Type: Large, Grand Auditorium
Back & Sides Wood: Pernambuco
Top Wood: Spruce - Adirondack (Red)
Neck Wood: Pernambuco
Neck Profile: C
Bridge: Pernambuco
Rosette: Pernambuco
Top Trim: MOP
Fingerboard: Pernambuco
Fingerboard Bindings: Pernambuco
Fret Markers: MOP Doves
Frets to Body: 14
Headplate: Pernambuco
Headstock Bindings: Pernambuco
Headstock Inlay: MOP
Instrument Finish: Gloss
Body Bindings: Pernambuco
Tuners: PRS
Tuner Finish: Gold with Ivoroid buttons
Cutaway: None
Pickguard: Clear
Pickup: PRS
Pickup (y/n): Yes
Body Length: 20.25 in
Upper Bout: 11.75 in
Lower Bout: 16 in
Body Depth Heel: 4.125 in
Body Depth Tail: 4.875 in
Scale Length: 25.25 in
Scale Length (mm): 641 mm
Nut Width: 1.69 in
Nut Width (mm): 43 mm
String Spacing: 2.125 in
String Spacing (mm): 54 mm
Instrument Weight Pounds & Ounces: 5 lb. 13 oz.
Case: Original - Ameritage
productImage
2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-2.jpg

2010-prs-tonare-grand-pernambuco-adirondack-spruce-a100410-9.jpg
OHHH S#!T !!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Man what a choice!! Well picked!!

nice sample of another pernambuco neck body
Damn, great vid, that dude could make a Sears Roebuck guitar sound great! Love those 10sec clips, great to hear the comparison one after another. PRS acoustics are amazing and underrated.

Back