PRS Equivalent to a Fender American Ultra Telecaster?

Guithartic

I've been jonesing for a PRS guitar for a few years now. I have two Telecasters, a Vintage Hot Rod '52 and an American Ultra in Texas Tea. I figured I only need one Tele, and I'd try to sell the American Ultra and use the money to buy a PRS. Or just do a trade. My ideal PRS would have a rosewood or ebony fingerboard with bird inlays (pearloid or abalone), gloss black, with some chrome hardware. Are there some good recommendations for a PRS that would be comparable in value or quality to the Fender American Ultra?
Edit: See Post #13 below.

Last edited:
This is probably the closest.

You may like this one also.

The NF 53 or Myles Kennedy would be in the wheelhouse of a Tele looks wise, but what I've heard of them tone wise, they're definitely their own thing. Teles have a very specific sound that really require a set of Tele pickups to create. Basically, if you want Tele tone, you're probably going to have to buy a Tele...which will probably entail play testing a few to find the "right" one for you.

I think the OP is not looking for a tele, since he already got one? Hence my suggestion for the thinline
I had the same thought. OP are you looking for a T style single coil guitar or are you looking at something different?

I think the OP is not looking for a tele, since he already got one? Hence my suggestion for the thinline
This. OP states he's looking for something besides a tele but wants to know how the quality of PRS stacks to an Ultra.

We would need to know more about what you are looking for in a guitar besides black, chrome, and birds. Like Trem? Pickup style? Music? Neck preference? Budget? New? used? Etc. Any of the US made PRS is as good as a Fender Ultra. Really any of them.

If your looking for suggestions for pure PRS DNA. I'd get a core and If there's only one I'd get a Custom 24. That's PRS that started all.

But really would need to know more first for a good recommendation.

It seems I misinterpreted. PRS quality insofar as Core and S2 instruments blows Fender away.
The title threw me off at first too.

The Ultra line is top quality. Zero complaints on what I've played and wouldn't hesitate to order one blindly off the net. Now the specs are up for debate, very modern from a traditional Fender point of view. That said there's no way I'd trade my Cu24 for one.

Good suggestion on the 2408, dig it too. I thought about recommending it, but didn't because of the proprietary pickups. Cool for sure, but as a first PRS.. better love it! Lol

I had the same thought. OP are you looking for a T style single coil guitar or are you looking at something different?

OP states he's looking for something besides a tele but wants to know how the quality of PRS stacks to an Ultra.
I can see how it can be interpreted either way. I'm a little torn myself. I have a Les Paul, SG, a couple Strats, and a Vintage '52 Hot Rod Tele. A PRS single cutaway resembling a Tele or a Les Paul would be cool, or even a Strat-looking one if something about all the other variables fit in the right way, and I feel compelled to get it. I like single coils and humbuckers, and I have some guitars with both, so I'm not narrowing this new one down to that. I just know I want a quality build that's black and chrome with bird inlays on a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. These are all great suggestions so far.

This is probably the closest.

You may like this one also.

Love my Myles Kennedy in black!!!

I can see how it can be interpreted either way. I'm a little torn myself. I have a Les Paul, SG, a couple Strats, and a Vintage '52 Hot Rod Tele. A PRS single cutaway resembling a Tele or a Les Paul would be cool, or even a Strat-looking one if something about all the other variables fit in the right way, and I feel compelled to get it. I like single coils and humbuckers, and I have some guitars with both, so I'm not narrowing this new one down to that. I just know I want a quality build that's black and chrome with bird inlays on a rosewood or ebony fingerboard. These are all great suggestions so far.
Well, my favourite PRS is a black McSoapy Korina. It has moons, no birdies, but those guitars are out there and some are awesome and sexy. By the way; birds would have been great, however moons work really well with all black PRSi

You could look for something like that. It is a double cut though. I dunno if there are many SC floating around fitting that description.

I've been jonesing for a PRS guitar for a few years now. I have two Telecasters, a Vintage Hot Rod '52 and an American Ultra in Texas Tea. I figured I only need one Tele, and I'd try to sell the American Ultra and use the money to buy a PRS. Or just do a trade. My ideal PRS would have a rosewood or ebony fingerboard with bird inlays (pearloid or abalone), gloss black, with some chrome hardware. Are there some good recommendations for a PRS that would be comparable in value or quality to the Fender American Ultra?
Edit: See Post #13 below.
Apologies for my friends here. They seemed to have sidetracked from giving you a valid answer and instead turned this into a company bashing/quality war. They got jokes! We all know both Fender and PRS are equally amazing 👏

So then. Onward. You're looking for what would be considered PRS' American Tele, or rather the equivalent to an American Tele in the PRS line. The answer is simple...

The S2 Vela IS in fact PRS American Tele. You get the American pickups. A Tele inspired bridge, a thicker neck. Simple controls. Ease of getting a good tone out the box, even a similar pricepoint... It's all there!! The sound is natural and woody. The look is simple and not overdone.

Hope this helps!

The 2024 Vela would be a great choice. Rosewood board, birds, and a Tele-like bridge, but with a quasi-Filter’Tron bridge pickup and a great-sounding noiseless single coil in the neck. The neck shape is in the ballpark of a vintage Tele neck shape, not exactly but you’ll feel right at home. It’s available in gloss or satin black nitro, the satin black is superior for feel and resonance but it wears and relics quickly so keep that in mind if you want your guitar to always look new. I have two Velas and they are super cool killer guitars.

The other option would be the NF53, which is PRS’s take on a Tele. I’m sure it’s killer, and it’s different enough to not EXACTLY be a Tele, but… you already have a killer Tele with the Vintage Hot Rod. My vote goes to the Vela. Think of it as the bastard love child of a Tele, an SG, and a Gretsch.

As the NF53 has been mentioned several times, and rightly so, I’d add you might check into its predecessor, the NF3. It fits into your “Strat looking” with the right attributes, and the original Narrowfields are some of the best pickups for people who like Tele and humbucker tones. In my opinion, these pickups float nicely between the classic pickup options, and give me some of each. Three of them with a 5-way makes that happen.

Only available used, and can be hard to find but definitely worth a look.

Back