PRS Equivalent to the ES335?

I’m just wondering if PRS does an “equivalent” guitar or maybe I mean similar construction to the ES335. This is just random curiosity on my part. I love PRS guitars, and I’ve been a BB King fan since I figured out that there was such a thing as blues. So Lucille, BB, ES335, PRS, Blues, I want a fixed bridge guitar… you all can see where this is going.
The PRS Hollowbodies are great guitars, but if you want that 335/345 sound I would buy the actual Gibson or Epiphone IBG models.

PRS does not make an “equivalent” guitar to the Gibson 335. They make better ones.

Although I do get it, sometimes a thin sounding sh1t box is exactly what’s called for, and that’s why Epiphone is such a nice option.

But in all seriousness, the closest would likely be the HB2, but as has been explained, it’s a completely different animal. I have a Collings 335 that sounds nice. I also have a PRS SCHB2 that eats it for breakfast. The most comfortable 335 alternative I’ve ever played (and it is far and away better) is the Knaggs Chena. Those are superb guitars as well.

Last edited:
I agree with this.

I have an HBII, SCHBII, 335 and 339. The PRS guitars are nothing like the Gibson guitars. With that said, if I am reaching for something in the HB range, it is almost always one of the PRS guitars.

I've had an HBII, a 339, and have spent a fair amount of time around 335s and I agree!

The PRS hollows don't do the 335 thing, but they have their own awesome thing.

Errr, at the risk of demonstrating my uncoolness, what is an SSH? I’ve seen the initials before, but I haven’t decoded it.
Pickup arrangement.
S = Single (single coil at the neck)
S = Single (single coil at the center position)
H = Humbucker (humbucker pickup at the bridge position)

Pickup arrangement.
S = Single (single coil at the neck)
S = Single (single coil at the center position)
H = Humbucker (humbucker pickup at the bridge position)

or Special Semi-Hollow.

I think of HSS as the Pick-up arrangement you indicate and I think this is more commonly used than 'SSH'. As this was answered by the OP who this question was directed, they also meant Special Semi-Hollow in this case.

I have a Special, HBii and 594 HBii
qamGI6Z.jpg

UzQSZTB.jpg

vTZuoJh.jpg

All fantastic guitars and I'd highly recommend them to anyone...

if you can find one , there's the discontinued Archtop
2014-01-26-0072_psd.jpg
Mildly alarmed to see my own guitar appear in this thread. :oops: Where did that come from?

I've got a 335, and a whole bunch of PRSii, and I can't say there's anything in the PRS lineup that reminds me of my 335.

=K

Mildly alarmed to see my own guitar appear in this thread. :oops: Where did that come from?

I've got a 335, and a whole bunch of PRSii, and I can't say there's anything in the PRS lineup that reminds me of my 335.

=K
I’m with Kiwi on this.
PRS HB and Archtop are nice enough guitars, but very different.

Back