Drop D tuning issues on tremolo model

mikeRI

Hi. I have a PRS S2 Custom 22 semi hollow with tremolo. It is my main guitar for gigging. I play in a cover band that does classic rock, although we have a few heavier songs (Ozzy, Bon Jovi, etc) where I need the tremolo.

There’s also 3 songs that require Drop D tuning. When I tune down to Drop D, or back to standard, it throws all the strings out of tune. I have to run through all 6 strings at least 3 times before it settles in. I am assuming that this is due to the tremolo.

I may have to suck it up and start bringing an additional guitar to gigs tuned to Drop D, but thought I’d ask if anyone has other suggestions. Ty!

Hi. I have a PRS S2 Custom 22 semi hollow with tremolo. It is my main guitar for gigging. I play in a cover band that does classic rock, although we have a few heavier songs (Ozzy, Bon Jovi, etc) where I need the tremolo.

There’s also 3 songs that require Drop D tuning. When I tune down to Drop D, or back to standard, it throws all the strings out of tune. I have to run through all 6 strings at least 3 times before it settles in. I am assuming that this is due to the tremolo.

I may have to suck it up and start bringing an additional guitar to gigs tuned to Drop D, but thought I’d ask if anyone has other suggestions. Ty!
If your trem is floating, yeah, you're going to have issues..I installed a small bracket in my CE-24 to retain the proper alignment, but it prevents pull ups. This allows me to quickly retune to drop D without problems.

I blocked the trem with a piece of wood in 2 PRS guitars to prevent this problem with drop D. I can push the trem down but not pull up. I don’t use the trem most of the time anyway. Clapton wedges his strats similarly so I’ve read.

You could look into installing a Tremol-No. Pretty easy to engage/disengage so you would be able to use the trem for the needed songs, lock it for when you need to drop D and unlock it again after you bring it back to E.

Back