Hollowbody II Piezo & headphone amp?

katorado

Hello everybody, I'm about to jump in and get my very first PRS!
Deciding between Hollowbody II Piezo and the Special Semi-Hollow but leaning towards HB because of the piezo.
Due to living arrangement, I mostly practise using a headphone amp like the Fender Mustang Micro, or the Waza Air Wireless headphones.
(Sometimes I use wireless system like a Lekato receiver/transmitter plugged to an amp)

I have 2 concerns re. HB II Piezo:

1 is given that it has 2 separate output jacks for electric and piezo, how does it work with a headphone amp or a wireless transmitter?

2 is hollow body (or semi-hollow) or piezo pup more prone to buzzing issue when used with wireless headphones or wireless transmitter? I use them with my solid body guitars with no buzzing issue at all.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I'm about to jump in and get my very first PRS!
Deciding between Hollowbody II Piezo and the Special Semi-Hollow but leaning towards HB because of the piezo.
Due to living arrangement, I mostly practise using a headphone amp like the Fender Mustang Micro, or the Waza Air Wireless headphones.
(Sometimes I use wireless system like a Lekato receiver/transmitter plugged to an amp)

I have 2 concerns re. HB II Piezo:

1 is given that it has 2 separate output jacks for electric and piezo, how does it work with a headphone amp or a wireless transmitter?

2 is hollow body (or semi-hollow) or piezo pub more prone to buzzing issue when used with wireless headphones or wireless transmitter? I use them with my solid body guitars with no buzzing issue at all.

Thanks for any help and advice!
Can only answer the first question. 1 output is magnetic pick only, the other (if it’s the only one plugged in) is piezo plus magnetic, blended by their own volume pots. If both plugged in you have separate mag and piezo outputs. I just use it with the one combined output, but have a TC electronics IR loader pedal with acoustic IRs and Amp IRs. The acoustic IR ‘tames’ the piezo! If using the mag I switch to the amp sim IR. I’ve had no problems with any buzzing, but not using wireless gear.

Its actually the opposite: MAG/PIEZO; and PIEZO ONLY that, when used, takes the piezo signal and converts the MAG/PIEZO to MAG ONLY. Running separate mag and piezo sounds the best, but for a headphone situation, you may be limited to what you can blend together to your headphone rig. No buzzing unless there are setup issues. Enjoy!

If you get the HB II, you may find that you play it unplugged for practice, unless you are playing along with something. I like that I can just grab mine and do some playing unplugged and easily hear it. I have gigged my piezo equipped PRS guitars a good bit as well. I love having the acoustic tones along with my normal electric guitar tones.

The jacks are exactly as ViperDoc stated. You will not have any humming or buzzing since the guitar has humbuckers in it.

Thank you all, this community is great.

So does that mean I can still get the mag + piezo blend if I plug only one transmitter into the Mag/Piezo jack?
And if I plug only 1 transmitter into the Piezo jack, any signal will be converted to Mag only and no Piezo? Still a bit confused but the blend is so important and is why I'm choosing it over the semi-hollow.

Last edited:
I found info at support for PRS - L.R. Baggs Piezo (PDF) Wiring Diagram. Just as y'all say, the blend should work with 1 transmitter in the Mix/Mag jack although I won't get the full range of the piezo. Shall experiment w the piezo only jack..

Thanks guys!! 😃 gonna place my order!

Thank you all, this community is great.

So does that mean I can still get the mag + piezo blend if I plug only one transmitter into the Mag/Piezo jack?
And if I plug only 1 transmitter into the Piezo jack, any signal will be converted to Mag only and no Piezo? Still a bit confused but the blend is so important and is why I'm choosing it over the semi-hollow.
The cable that you plug into the PIEZO ONLY jack will only send piezo signal. That insertion mechanically splits the piezo OFF of the MAG jack. If you want magnetic and piezo output blended on one cable, that is why you would insert the cable into the MAG/PIEZO jack and blend with the onboard volume controls. Both HB2 and Semi-hollow piezo-loaded builds use the exact same system setup and work the same.

Lekato should work fine as it is Tip/Ring only.
Note that there are some wireless (Line6, NUX etc.) that have Tip/Ring/Sleeve and don't play nice with the mag/piezo jack. For that you need a 1/4" male/female cable or adaptor.
Piezo works best into a PA/FRFR type of amp. And extra best along with a DI box like a L.R. Baggs Para.
Enjoy the ride!

Back