NGD

Nice guitar Shawn !
Is that the one that was reviewed in Guitar Player ?
I'm turning Eriza Verde with jealousy !

it was in the February 2011 issue with Yngwie on the cover.
Here's what they said about YOUR guitar :

" Designed in conjunction with Paul Jackson Jr., the JA-15 sports a highly resonant 15"- wide body that is composed of spruce, mahogany, and curly maple. The curly maple neck, also with the new Pattern shape, is very comfortable, and the pickups are the 53/10 models that feature coils wound with wire made on the original machine that was used to supply “legendary” guitar companies in the 1950s. According to PRS, the wire used in 53/10 pickups is further processed to the specifications used for a certain single- coil bridge pickup made in 1953 (read Fender Telecaster). The objective of all this was to create a clear sounding humbucker with a particularly sweet top end. The 53/10s used here are the same pickups found on the ME Quatro except that they have bright polished covers. A small point perhaps, but I wish these covers had the brushed nickel finish.
The Two Piece bridge does a great job of transferring string energy to the body, allowing the JA-15 to sustain well with cleaner tones. The vibe of this guitar is incredible. Its voice is very sweet and round, and the definition and detail are such that you can use the well-voiced Tone control to dial in a dark, creamy jazz sound and still get the clarity and presence needed to make your comping and solos stand out. This is a very dynamic guitar too, which means you don’t have to goose it with lots of volume (and risk feedback) to make notes punch through. The JA-15 responds beautifully to variations in picking attack, making it easy to go from soft rhythm playing to singing solos with just an adjustment in how hard you hit the strings.
The JA-15 is a serious jazz guitar that combines a rich-bodied sound with excellent intonation and a quick playing feel. It’s probably the most advanced production guitar of its type on the market today and it earns an Editors’ Pick Award. "

Here's the part of the ME Quatro review in the same issue where he talks about the pickups :

" Other new details for the ME Quatro are its 53/10 humbuckers—also found on the JA-15—which PRS describes as the warmest sounding of their “vintage” offerings. PRS has definitely upped its game in pickup design and you can hear it in the ME Quatro’s tones, which offer sparkling clarity, a great sense of depth, and glistening harmonics. Slightly less aggressive sounding than the 57/08 units, the Quatro’s pickups have a blossoming midrange and a silky top that cuts through beautifully without a trace of harshness. This guitar sounds very full and balanced, yet there’s so much of the right kind of brilliance on tap that I didn’t need to put the pickups into split mode to get ultra-crisp clean tones. "

Nicely done, sir! It's good to see you pick out a guitar for yourself every once in a while!!

Thanks guys. I plugged it in a couple days ago and it did not disappoint. One of the finest guitars I've ever played and certainly the nicest one I've ever owned. The tone is amazing and the neck feel is perfect!

Now I need to find a copy of the February 2011 Guitar Player magazine

Thanks guys. I plugged it in a couple days ago and it did not disappoint. One of the finest guitars I've ever played and certainly the nicest one I've ever owned. The tone is amazing and the neck feel is perfect!

Now I need to find a copy of the February 2011 Guitar Player magazine

Unfortunately, I only save the articles I'm interested in from my guitar mags the last few years, but I'm certain I have that review saved. I can scan it and send it to you, if you'd like (assuming I'm correct).

Beautiful guitar Shawn. Congrats!

You guys know how hard it is to take good photos of guitars. I was thinking about getting Marc Quigley on the forum to answer some questions surrounding guitar photography. Marc is the Art Director at PRS and he is responsible for the beautiful photos on our website and the famous Private Stock calendars.
Great idea! Marc is a very talented photographer(obviously) and a really nice guy as well. We talk a bit here and there on twitter.

Back