2 Wood Library Guitars but such a difference in brightness

Alot_of_PRS

Hi everybody, first time post. I've had a few PRS guitars, cu22 10 from back in 93' (still own), then in the last 3 years bought I a custom 24 quilt and later sold it, a McCarty 594 and sold that too after buying my first wood library. it's a 2021 burnt maple leaf top Cu24 with a combination of the 58/15LT neck pickup and the 85/15 in the treble position. top is standard stuff, ebony neck and torrified neck (which I love). soo I bought another wood library 6 months ago, this one is also CU24 but it's a Satin Blue Makina finish. it's the most resonant sounding guitar I own and pretty much the most incredible sounding guitar I have. So much so that my Maple leaf now sounds too brittle to me (and I've listed it)! I have to roll the tone down to 4-5-6 for dirty stuff. I know it's about the woods, finish, pickups etc. anybody with more experience than I have any thoughts on pickup changes that could help? The Makina has "TCI-tuned 85/15 humbuckers".it's a mahogany body, topped with a quilted maple Top, - thanks in advance!

here are the specs from the 1st wood;

• Burnt Maple Leaf Nitro over Cellulose (CAB)Finish
  • Hand Selected Lightweight Ribbon Striped Mahogany Body
  • Hand Selected Carved Quilted Maple Grade "10" Top
  • Hand Selected Torrefied Flamed Maple Neck
  • Ebony Fretboard
  • Pattern Thin Neck Carve
  • 58/15 LT and 85/15 Pickups
  • PRS Phase III Locking Tuners
  • PRS Gen III Patented Tremolo
  • 24 Frets
  • 25" Scale Length
  • Rainbow Exclusive Bird Fingerboard Inlays
  • Volume, and Tone, and 5-Way Blade Switch,
  • Position One: Bridge Humbucker
    Position Two: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Singlecoil, in Parallel
    Position Three: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
    Position Four: Neck Singlecoil with Bridge Singlecoil, in Parallel
    Position Five: Neck Humbucker

Yup, I'd say the maple and ebony board are contributing to a brighter sound.

Personally I don't care for the LT and 8515 combo. I've tried it in a few guitars with LT in neck/bridge and 8515 in neck/bridge. I do love the LT in the neck and it sounds fantastic with the 5708 or 5909 in the bridge.

Other pickup choices, there's quite a few that I have that sound anything but brittle. That's a long list and deep rabbit hole. First, have you adjusted the pickup height? That's the first thing I'd try.

Thank you both for the help! So Oops I didn’t list the woods on the new Blue Makena: it’s a “figured maple neck, ebony board, mahogany body, topped a quilted maple 10-Top for increased treble response”

So SinSir, is there a sort of rule with pu hight, higher brighter lower warmer? And small increments, I’d guess closer to the strings might be hotter output? (I can play guitars and set them up but I’m sort of clueless as to different wood tones and pickup heights and types). Thanks in advance

Thank you both for the help!
Welcome
So Oops I didn’t list the woods on the new Blue Makena: it’s a “figured maple neck, ebony board,
So same woods, but one is roasted.
So SinSir, is there a sort of rule with pu hight, higher brighter lower warmer? And small increments, I’d guess closer to the strings might be hotter output?
You got it! Closer for more raunch and lower for clarity. Small increments. I typically do 1/2 turns on each side at a time. Then 1/4 turns when I'm close. PRS pickups definitely have a sweet spot. Then back at it the a day or two later with fresh ears..

It's what sounds best to you with each guitar through your rig. See if you can get there with what you have and then go from there. Happy tweaking!

My PRS is not as upper end as yours. But with my wide variety of other guitars, what I'm plugged into is a huge part if the equation as I'm sure you know. I switch guitars and my amp or Helix definitely let's me know. I realize getting it right at the start, but I'm that cute little angel on your shoulder just giving you a reminder.

Welcome

So same woods, but one is roasted.

You got it! Closer for more raunch and lower for clarity. Small increments. I typically do 1/2 turns on each side at a time. Then 1/4 turns when I'm close. PRS pickups definitely have a sweet spot. Then back at it the a day or two later with fresh ears..

It's what sounds best to you with each guitar through your rig. See if you can get there with what you have and then go from there. Happy tweaking!
All right, I’ll give the height experimenting a go and see if I can get there. Thanks!

@mixmkr thanks yes I have quite a few amps and that is a huge factor but this seems to be a consistent issue regardless of amp.

Cool thank you guys
Neil

Every piece of wood is different .. that's why there are some magic guitars regardless of pickups
this is very true, I unfortunately wasn't able to buy this guitar before playing it (true of many of my guitars) it was bought from Rainbow Guitars in AZ I'm in NY. thank you!
Neil

Back