NGD: This Copper’s on Fire

So, I ran through my guitars this morning, along side this CE. To get a feel of where it sits in the range of tones.

First impression is the DGT and LP Traditional w/ ‘57 Classic pickups seem like my go-to’s for jazz, blues, classic rock - clean to low/mid gain. The CE w/ Dragon II’s and LP Studio w/ 490R/498T pickups are firmly in the rock world. But since my ultimate goal is to push this CE into my favorite 80s bands territory with a Floyd, seems like I should think about more pickup tone separation.

I’d like the Dragon II’s to have a bit more attack. I realize they’re already on the higher output end of the spectrum. But I’m thinking of options. I’m also leaning towards uncovered pups for the look. So, I could go used HFS/VB set, but I’m totally unfamiliar with their sound. There’s also the option of a new VB or 59/09 bass pickup in the neck paired with a Tremonti treble pickup in the bridge. Odd combo?

Funny you should mention that. It just so happens that I have a MannMade 2000NOS bridge :).

It’s in a Santana SE that I’m moving on to make room for core models. I’ll be swapping that out, don’t know why I forget to mention that. But since I have a Gen III trem on my DGT, I want something different on this CE. It’s just down to wether I want full floating or EVH Wolfgang style.
Float that bad boy, and keep a PRS trem unless you're even a crazier every dive bomber than I am. I do it on the blues, and a jerk once said to me, "Now don't go all Hendrix on me". Of course I did, he was just listening, not playing with me. The other band members were egging me on.

this color is just sick, love it.

I think that’s how it goes... I’ll have to check with Ms. Keys next time we run into each other.

Well, I had to rescue this ‘06 CE-22 in Blazing Copper. A previous owner had sanded down the back of the neck down to raw maple, didn’t protect it with anything, and apparently never washed his hands before playing. Decked the bridge and never cleaned the frets. But used some gunky guitar Polish I think, probably before trying to sell it. Don’t worry Mr. Copper, you won’t ever have to see that bad man again.

2meqo9i.jpg

I came for the color but stayed for the wide-fat neck. Once I get it de-gunked and protected, maybe swap out pickups rings and lampshade knobs, things will be better. I just love the fully carved top of the older CEs. Especially in these car paint finishes. And 5-way rotary FTW.

Down the line, I foresee a visit to the PTC, the Club Med for guitars. I’m envisioning a Floyd Rose, maybe a new neck finish done right, and some stronger pickups. Wonder how the \m/ sounds on a CE?

Excuse me while I go scold the seller...

So, I ran through my guitars this morning, along side this CE. To get a feel of where it sits in the range of tones.

First impression is the DGT and LP Traditional w/ ‘57 Classic pickups seem like my go-to’s for jazz, blues, classic rock - clean to low/mid gain. The CE w/ Dragon II’s and LP Studio w/ 490R/498T pickups are firmly in the rock world. But since my ultimate goal is to push this CE into my favorite 80s bands territory with a Floyd, seems like I should think about more pickup tone separation.

I’d like the Dragon II’s to have a bit more attack. I realize they’re already on the higher output end of the spectrum. But I’m thinking of options. I’m also leaning towards uncovered pups for the look. So, I could go used HFS/VB set, but I’m totally unfamiliar with their sound. There’s also the option of a new VB or 59/09 bass pickup in the neck paired with a Tremonti treble pickup in the bridge. Odd combo?

Normally I'd recommend 5909s all day long but if 80s is what you're after the only real solution is dragon 1 pickups.

I have said all there is to say.

Normally I'd recommend 5909s all day long but if 80s is what you're after the only real solution is dragon 1 pickups.

I have said all there is to say.
Hmm, good to know. But I'll press you for more anyway ;)
The only last gotcha is that I'm really drawn to the open "squabbin" look. Which is kind of what's driving my pickup options. So maybe an HFS/VB set with my 2000NOS bridge will be enough..

The HFS is a hot pickup but unfortunately is a pickup I can't get along with. Seems it's a love or hate thing for the HFS but what I discovered or what I think I've discovered is it really depends on the amp.

My old 5150 head tends to be bright and brings out the harsh ice picky tones in that pickup. If I tune to D or lower it sounds good through my amp or if played through something like a Mesa it sounds really good.

Through my amp HFS is harsh with very sharp attack. It never softens up.
Through my amp dragon 1 is slightly compressed with soft attack and cleans up very well with volume rolled back.

Hope this helps.

The HFS is a hot pickup but unfortunately is a pickup I can't get along with. Seems it's a love or hate thing for the HFS but what I discovered or what I think I've discovered is it really depends on the amp.

My old 5150 head tends to be bright and brings out the harsh ice picky tones in that pickup. If I tune to D or lower it sounds good through my amp or if played through something like a Mesa it sounds really good.

Through my amp HFS is harsh with very sharp attack. It never softens up.
Through my amp dragon 1 is slightly compressed with soft attack and cleans up very well with volume rolled back.

Hope this helps.
This is very helpful. I think through my Mesa Studio Pre the extra brightness of the HFS will help. Thanks~

Welp, I'll find out soon enough on the pickups. Just bought a used squabbin HFS/VB set that came out of a Custom 24. Came with electronics, too, so I'll have a spare volume, tone, a 5-way rotary. Ordered some ivory pickups rings, too. Time to dig in..

My last Tremonti sounded great, but it always bugged me that it was pre-squabbin. My current Tremonti has a squabbin and I really like that, trivial as it is.

And it's only the one pickup, as the neck pickup is covered. Talk about petty...

My last Tremonti sounded great, but it always bugged me that it was pre-squabbin. My current Tremonti has a squabbin and I really like that, trivial as it is.

And it's only the one pickup, as the neck pickup is covered. Talk about petty...
If this HFS/VB set doesn't work out, I'm gonna try a squabbin Tremonti treble and 59/09 neck.

Blazing Copper.

wJjQCWa.jpg

I've always thought solid PRS' were kind of disappointing given the visual quality of the maple tops used. I like the seafoam green color on the DC3's, that kind of thing, but not on the others. But great googly moogly I think I just changed my mind - that copper is flippin' beautiful! And it shows off the carve much better than the more common finishes do.

I've always thought solid PRS' were kind of disappointing given the visual quality of the maple tops used. I like the seafoam green color on the DC3's, that kind of thing, but not on the others. But great googly moogly I think I just changed my mind - that copper is flippin' beautiful! And it shows off the carve much better than the more common finishes do.
I'm with you there. This finish changed my mind, too. My understanding is that PRS experimented with metallic car paints for a short time. I think it's the metallic paint that really highlights the curves in the top. In flat lighting, it looks flatter of course. But throw on the spot lights, and it jumps out with this type of paint.

Back