NGD: This Copper’s on Fire

I've always thought solid PRS' were kind of disappointing given the visual quality of the maple tops used. I like the seafoam green color on the DC3's, that kind of thing, but not on the others. But great googly moogly I think I just changed my mind - that copper is flippin' beautiful! And it shows off the carve much better than the more common finishes do.
That's what I love about the solid colors, they take on a futuristic quality because of the minimalist aesthetics as well as the accentuation of the contours. I mean:

VCjLgzg.jpg

That's what I love about the solid colors, they take on a futuristic quality because of the minimalist aesthetics as well as the accentuation of the contours. I mean:

VCjLgzg.jpg
Haha! Watched this the other day and only realised they were on the wall in the Cafe ‘80s scene as well!

VCjLgzg.jpg
Makes me feel even better about getting open HFS/VBs to swap in.

Beautiful guitar! I wouldn't change a thing, except clean it and protect the neck.

+1...Please DO NOT install a Floyd Rose. Down the road, when you decide to sell it, it will have been permanently modified for the prospective new owner whether they like a Floyd Rose or not. Install a mann bridge as suggested, and spare the guitar and the next prospective owner. VERY cool guitar, btw.

+1...Please DO NOT install a Floyd Rose. Down the road, when you decide to sell it, it will have been permanently modified for the prospective new owner whether they like a Floyd Rose or not. Install a mann bridge as suggested, and spare the guitar and the next prospective owner. VERY cool guitar, btw.
That’s part of the reason I was going to use the PTC, so that if there ever was a “next owner”, resale wouldn’t get trashed. But I decided to heed the conventional wisdom and just replace the stock bridge with my Mil-Com. Undergoing surgery right now.

I have quickly noticed how delicate this paint finish is, though. The dummy who owned it before lowered the 6 trem screws until the bridge was tight up against the body, and then must’ve tried to use the trem anyway - the paint started cracking and flaking off underneed the trem. When I removed it, an eraser head sized piece of copper paint fell off. :eek::mad: Fortunately, it’s still under the bridge body, so not very visible. But the bond between the base primer coat and copper paint coat is not the strongest. I’ll have to be very careful.

Visualizing the squabbin HFS/VB pickups that came in. Tomorrow the ivory pickup rings come in, so I can hopefully finish it. These wires going to the 5-way are tiny.

flGHfo9.jpg

Last edited:
That’s part of the reason I was going to use the PTC, so that if there ever was a “next owner”, resale wouldn’t get trashed. But I decided to heed the conventional wisdom and just replace the stock bridge with my Mil-Com. Undergoing surgery right now.

I have quickly noticed how delicate this paint finish is, though. The dummy who owned it before lowered the 6 trem screws until the bridge was tight up against the body, and then must’ve tried to use the trem anyway - the paint started cracking and flaking off underneed the trem. When I removed it, an reader head sized piece of copper paint fell off. :eek::mad: Fortunately, it’s still under the bridge body, so not very visible. But the bond between the base primer coat and copper paint coat is not the strongest. I’ll have to be very careful.

Visualizing the squabbin HFS/VB pickups that came in. Tomorrow the ivory pickup rings come in, so I can hopefully finish it. These wires going to the 5-way are tiny.

flGHfo9.jpg
Nice progress shot!

That colour is so cool!

I have quickly noticed how delicate this paint finish is, though. The dummy who owned it before lowered the 6 trem screws until the bridge was tight up against the body, and then must’ve tried to use the trem anyway - the paint started cracking and flaking off underneed the trem. When I removed it, an reader head sized piece of copper paint fell off. :eek::mad: Fortunately, it’s still under the bridge body, so not very visible. But the bond between the base primer coat and copper paint coat is not the strongest. I’ll have to be very careful.

flGHfo9.jpg
With all that has happened to that guitar my guess is that the manual, if it was kept, is in mint condition as it was never opened.

That color is VERY cool. So glad you opted for the MilCom OEM-style bridge! Bravo!

I really liked the Back to the Future pic...MJ Fox was such a huge proponent of PRS at the time....

Ok, so last update for now. New VB/HFS pickups are in with contrasting ivory pickups rings. I think it's a great look on the guitar. Only thing left to decide is whether to keep the solid speed knobs, or move to black/clear lampshades. I prefer lampshades in general, but there's something about the look of the stock ones on this guitar.

SC7Q5q2.jpg

Regarding the pickup swap, so far the Dragon II treble and HFS don't sound that different to my ears. Granted, it was a day or so in between listening to one vs the other, so my memory could be forgetting a lot. I want a little more high-end still - but I'll start tweaking pickup and pole piece height. I will not go down a pickup rabbit hole. The VB I think is an improvement to the Dragon II bass. Little more attack there, and I'm happy with it.

Also, although I'd like to have a stern talk with the previous owner for sanding down the neck and leaving it unprotected raw maple, it really is super smooth and comfortable. I might just *gasp* leave it.

Alright, enough copper talk for now. More playing required.

Ok, so last update for now. New VB/HFS pickups are in with contrasting ivory pickups rings. I think it's a great look on the guitar. Only thing left to decide is whether to keep the solid speed knobs, or move to black/clear lampshades. I prefer lampshades in general, but there's something about the look of the stock ones on this guitar.

SC7Q5q2.jpg

Regarding the pickup swap, so far the Dragon II treble and HFS don't sound that different to my ears. Granted, it was a day or so in between listening to one vs the other, so my memory could be forgetting a lot. I want a little more high-end still - but I'll start tweaking pickup and pole piece height. I will not go down a pickup rabbit hole. The VB I think is an improvement to the Dragon II bass. Little more attack there, and I'm happy with it.

Also, although I'd like to have a stern talk with the previous owner for sanding down the neck and leaving it unprotected raw maple, it really is super smooth and comfortable. I might just *gasp* leave it.

Alright, enough copper talk for now. More playing required.
Great work, don’t you dare sell it!;)

Back