NGD - Magical edition!!

What guitars are magical? Velas!!!

tsvela1.jpg

tsvela2.jpg

tsvela3.jpg

tsvela4.jpg

tsvela5.jpg

tsvela6.jpg

So yeah, been messing around with amps and pedals and whatnot with my SE CE 24, with my strat before that, and kept thinking that I was just missing my favorite edge of breakup tone, nothing sounded quite right - it all sounded good, but it didn't sound like *me*. Then it hit me, I *need* a Vela! Found this one on GC, used, with horrible pictures as always - I wasn't even positive it was McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, could have been Scarlet Sunburst from what i could tell. It was also listed as a solidbody rather than the semi hollow that it obviously is. Last, it was listed in "good" condition. It arrived today and I gave it 2 hours to acclimate before I opened it. I have to say, best packing job I've ever gotten on a guitar I've ordered - it was packed to be bullet proof!

Opened it, was a wee bit disappointed to see a Road Runner hard case - I love the PRS gig bags! However, any disappointment washed away when I opened the case - this guitar is not in "good" condition, it's in EXCELLENT condition! A couple swirl marks on the pickguard is all that keeps it from being mint!

Ran unto my music room, plugged in, and there it was - the tone I've been craving!!

I'm off to play some more now - later!

atlast.gif
That is beautiful. Congrats!

Thank goodness, I had been holding my breath and finally I can now breathe again! I was beginning to see the seams of the space time continuum deteriorate as you tried to move forward without a Vela!! All is right now in the Universe (well, at least this part is right)!!! Welcome back, great new addition and so glad GC got it wrong yet all was right ;~))
Yeah, no kidding! @Aahzz without a Vela is like @sergiodeblanc without a Santana-shaped guitar. Just Not Right.

Congrats @Aahzz ! She looks great!

The revival was waiting for your return preacher of Velas! Excellent find and I like the old single coil.

Now you've had the SE CE for a while do you still enjoy it as an alternate to the Vela?

The SE CE is still a really nice guitar, but I may end up moving it on due to the wide thin neck. I always think I can get along with a wide thin until I have one for a while...

This thread inspired me. I took the plunge again. Getting a solid body charcoal satin with dots. I too missed the magic that only a vela can give you. I’ve had 2 reclaims: while I loved the way they sound I started to hate the way they looked! Reminded me too much of furniture but I loved how they sounded and felt! Chrome and blacked out satin? Heck yeah that’s all me. This is one of the few S2’s that I wouldn’t dare change any pickups. Parting with some higher end PRS that are collecting dust. When it’s all said and done I’ll have only S2’s: my 594 thinline and this. The rest are good to go. The Vela is such a versatile guitar and that neck width is on point.

What guitars are magical? Velas!!!

tsvela1.jpg

tsvela2.jpg

tsvela3.jpg

tsvela4.jpg

tsvela5.jpg

tsvela6.jpg

So yeah, been messing around with amps and pedals and whatnot with my SE CE 24, with my strat before that, and kept thinking that I was just missing my favorite edge of breakup tone, nothing sounded quite right - it all sounded good, but it didn't sound like *me*. Then it hit me, I *need* a Vela! Found this one on GC, used, with horrible pictures as always - I wasn't even positive it was McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, could have been Scarlet Sunburst from what i could tell. It was also listed as a solidbody rather than the semi hollow that it obviously is. Last, it was listed in "good" condition. It arrived today and I gave it 2 hours to acclimate before I opened it. I have to say, best packing job I've ever gotten on a guitar I've ordered - it was packed to be bullet proof!

Opened it, was a wee bit disappointed to see a Road Runner hard case - I love the PRS gig bags! However, any disappointment washed away when I opened the case - this guitar is not in "good" condition, it's in EXCELLENT condition! A couple swirl marks on the pickguard is all that keeps it from being mint!

Ran unto my music room, plugged in, and there it was - the tone I've been craving!!

I'm off to play some more now - later!

atlast.gif
I keep thinking I need to try and Vela. I'd probably like it a lot.

This thread inspired me. I took the plunge again. Getting a solid body charcoal satin with dots. I too missed the magic that only a vela can give you. I’ve had 2 reclaims: while I loved the way they sound I started to hate the way they looked! Reminded me too much of furniture but I loved how they sounded and felt! Chrome and blacked out satin? Heck yeah that’s all me. This is one of the few S2’s that I wouldn’t dare change any pickups. Parting with some higher end PRS that are collecting dust. When it’s all said and done I’ll have only S2’s: my 594 thinline and this. The rest are good to go. The Vela is such a versatile guitar and that neck width is on point.
Nice!

So, just took some time to wipe her down, put on my preferred strings (D'Addario XL 9s) and lower the action a wee bit...oh good gods, I have missed having a Vela!! Sounds and plays so dang good!
Have you try NYXL’s? Cost more but I find them superb. Especially when it comes to string breaking. That’s plagued me with the regular XL. Even on the ball ends!

Back