NGD - The White NF3 Gets A Brother To Play With

PRS says:

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. You can try loosening the tuner button screw as that goes into the end of the worm gear. When we first released the Phase III tuners in 2011, they used a press fit style button and the button may not be removable which then will not really loosen up. We use a white lithium grease for lubrication on the Phase III tuners.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer & Technical Support
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666

www.prsguitars.com

Mine are not affected by loosening the button, so I’ll try the lube. It’s not terrible or grindy kind of tight, just a bit over-snug. If it stays that way, it’s no big deal, but I might as well add a small dab of grease to the workings anyway… it’s been a long time since it left Maryland!
Definitely let us know how it works out, I have a 2011 JA-15 with the same issue. Holds tune perfectly, but definitely stiff!

Ok, I received the white lithium grease today (a small tube from Permatex) and added a small dab to the gearing and worked it in by rotating the tuners 3 or 4 turns each way. It feels like it has taken some tension off, or at the least it is smoother. It doesn't take much of the stuff at all, and I wish I could have found one of those injector-style packagings. But the cone tip on the Permatix tube worked fine, and I cleaned up any excess with a Q-Tip. I'll get it worked in better when I change strings.

So that's it... adjusted what needed attention, did a light cleaning until my more thorough going over at string change. I'm very pleased with this guitar, and it's proven to be a great deal all around.

Just a short new guitar day post welcoming my new-to-me 2011 Natural Korina NF3 to the guitarsenal! I did a quick play on it acoustically straight out of the case, and it really sounds open and sustains well… such a good sign. There’s some tarnish on the hardware that might not clean up completely, so I’ll call that the PRS-level relicing. Also, there is some residue from a stand/hanger here and there, which is cleaning off nicely with no discoloration. I’m really pleased with the guitar, and looking forward to an amplified test drive shortly. In my experience, a guitar that sounds good unamplified sounds great through an amp, so I’m expecting to be smiling. 100% a great deal so far.

By the way, the wiggly lines near the knobs are reflections from the window, not scratches.

More to come…

adpVBOd.jpg
From Mr 513 to Mr NF3. What a pair!

Back