NGD - The White NF3 Gets A Brother To Play With

Congrats !!!!
Having finally grabbed an NF3 and now having a NF 53 and a Special Semi Hollow the Narrowfield pickups are becoming a big part of the collection.
I was near to buying an NF53 before this one came up. How do you fine they compare in sound? Super glad to have found a nice NF3 at a decent price (FINALLY!) but still have that NF53 in my mind for a future look.

I was near to buying an NF53 before this one came up. How do you fine they compare in sound? Super glad to have found a nice NF3 at a decent price (FINALLY!) but still have that NF53 in my mind for a future look.
You can tell the NF53 is from the same family tree , to my ear it is louder but not hotter if that makes sense. Like the regular NF the 53 takes gain really well and is smooth and full sounding clean.

DC3 and Mesa V by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oUPwBL]
NF53 with Boogie by

Changed the pickguard :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2prKmds]
IMG_8813 copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

Congrats! I love the narrowfields in my Studio. At switch positions 2 and 4 I can get a quack like tone similar to the sound of my Stratocaster in those positions.

Just a short new guitar day post welcoming my new-to-me 2011 Natural Korina NF3 to the guitarsenal! I did a quick play on it acoustically straight out of the case, and it really sounds open and sustains well… such a good sign. There’s some tarnish on the hardware that might not clean up completely, so I’ll call that the PRS-level relicing. Also, there is some residue from a stand/hanger here and there, which is cleaning off nicely with no discoloration. I’m really pleased with the guitar, and looking forward to an amplified test drive shortly. In my experience, a guitar that sounds good unamplified sounds great through an amp, so I’m expecting to be smiling. 100% a great deal so far.

By the way, the wiggly lines near the knobs are reflections from the window, not scratches.

More to come…

adpVBOd.jpg
Nice

Pretty sweet score there, Rick!
Thanks, Amigo! After spending a day on it, I'm really happy with the purchase. It's a great player, and a good sound match for my other NF3. Slightly different. perhaps the maple board or just the subtle difference from guitar to guitar, but a good match.

You can tell the NF53 is from the same family tree , to my ear it is louder but not hotter if that makes sense. Like the regular NF the 53 takes gain really well and is smooth and full sounding clean.

DC3 and Mesa V by
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oUPwBL]NF53 with Boogie by
Changed the pickguard :)
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2prKmds]IMG_8813 copy by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

How do the NF53 pickups compare? I really like that one especially for the pickups and ash body.

Still haven’t found one to try out.

Brilliant Rick!
Curious if there's a weight difference between the two?
Well, that's almost freaky...

The difference is 1/2 ounce! I wouldn't have guessed you could get two similar models that close. The natural one is "heavier."

8 lbs 3 3/8 oz (White) Vs 8 lbs 3 7/8 oz (Natural)

Last edited:
Well, that's almost freaky...

The difference is 1/2 ounce! I wouldn't have guessed you could get two similar models that close. The natural one is "heavier."

8 lbs 3 3/8 oz (White) Vs 8 lbs 3 7/8 oz (Natural)
I haven't measured in a while, but I want to say my NF3 is right in the range of yours as well. Pretty consistent!

Congrats on another NF3; they are really fantastic guitars! I have thought about grabbing another and really should have back before 2020 when prices were reasonable. I doubt I will get another used for what I bought mine for new in 2017.

I haven't measured in a while, but I want to say my NF3 is right in the range of yours as well. Pretty consistent!

Congrats on another NF3; they are really fantastic guitars! I have thought about grabbing another and really should have back before 2020 when prices were reasonable. I doubt I will get another used for what I bought mine for new in 2017.
Looking back, it’s a strange journey to finally getting them paired up, much of it due to my own personal thoughts and boundaries I’d set for myself in the search. I’d all but given up on finding one sub-$1500 in good condition. It seems folks have accepted the value at $2k and up. I admit, in all fairness, I have paid that and more for guitars I liked less. The fact of what I’ve paid for them in recent memory argues against that in my brain though…. It became a fight-the-fight challenge to beat the “pandemic pricing.” I did pay just shy of $2k for the white NF3, and don’t regret it. One last thought on cost is that both of them together cost less than the discounted price I paid for my 594 HB II new. Value is a weird thing to nail down in our own minds, methinks.

At any rate, I’m happy with both of the NF3s, and they’ve both proven themselves as wonderfully musical guitars, having taken the new one to rehearsal yesterday. The only minor quirk is that the tuners seem a little tight. I’ll see if they have an adjustment or need lubrication (they have the exposed gear tuners) today. Otherwise, a great first outing a band volume.

Last edited:
At any rate, I’m happy with both of the NF3s, and they’ve both proven themselves as wonderfully musical guitars, having taken the new one to rehearsal yesterday. The only minor quirk is that the tuners seem a little tight. I’ll see if they have an adjustment or need lubrication (they have the exposed gear tuners) today. Otherwise, a great first outing a band volume.

Glad you're enjoying them both. I use my NF3s as my 1a and 1b (and 1c and 1d) gigging guitars and they just work.

I've noticed the Phase III tuners can get tight too. If you find a solution please share. I never had that issue with Phase I or IIs.

Glad you're enjoying them both. I use my NF3s as my 1a and 1b (and 1c and 1d) gigging guitars and they just work.

I've noticed the Phase III tuners can get tight too. If you find a solution please share. I never had that issue with Phase I or IIs.
I emailed support. I don’t know if it’s an adjustment or just lubrication, and what they use for lube if it is. Once they reply, I’ll post it here.

Maybe try loosening the tuner keys slightly.

Had the same issue with a set of SE tuners.

PRS says:

Hi Rick,

Thank you for writing PRS Guitars. You can try loosening the tuner button screw as that goes into the end of the worm gear. When we first released the Phase III tuners in 2011, they used a press fit style button and the button may not be removable which then will not really loosen up. We use a white lithium grease for lubrication on the Phase III tuners.

Regards,

Matt King
Paul Reed Smith Guitars
Customer & Technical Support
380 Log Canoe Circle
Stevensville, MD 21666

www.prsguitars.com

Mine are not affected by loosening the button, so I’ll try the lube. It’s not terrible or grindy kind of tight, just a bit over-snug. If it stays that way, it’s no big deal, but I might as well add a small dab of grease to the workings anyway… it’s been a long time since it left Maryland!

Back