Need a New Amp....

He he, I have two 2x12s and a Carvin 4x12 here too, but I am not using them now.
My EVH may show up next Friday, and I will try and get a video of it.
I am going to dime it for ya too, that should shake some of the dust off my walls.

Should be fun to hear that clip!

MESA LONE STAR...VERSATILE , GOOD with PEDALS of ALL kinds, PLENTY of POWER with VARIABLE POWER settings ( 10-50-100 watt settings ) it BOOGIES !!

MESA LONE STAR...VERSATILE , GOOD with PEDALS of ALL kinds, PLENTY of POWER with VARIABLE POWER settings ( 10-50-100 watt settings ) it BOOGIES !!

I agree, it's a really nice amp (I've got the 2x12 combo, 100 Watts, and my son tours with one), but Tex said he tried it and it wasn't for him. And really, he has something conceptually similar with his Bogner Shiva.

Though in my humble opinion, the LS sounds best if one takes a lot of time to set it up and experiments with its many controls, am I right? It rewards the patient amp twiddler/tweaker more than some amps.

Personally, I like it best at its 100 watt setting, solid state rectified, with the Master volume and effects loop off, so the sub-master volume for each channel controls level. With one less signal path stage, the amp sounds a lot purer, and closer to a hand wired amp - in fact, I think it competes very favorably with my hand wired amps once this MV stage is eliminated.

I also run my Lone Star with a Furman P-1800 PFR power conditioner that has a 45+ Amp power reservoir. For whatever reason, the amp sounds a LOT better running with this power supply box; the theory is that it can supply power to the amp faster than the wall socket. And with a 100 Watt amp, it seems to matter quite a bit! In any case, this unit has proven its worth, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm going to add a second one for my studio monitors.

Recording with the Lone Star, DG30 and HXDA last fall; the Furman power supply is on the stand to the right of the pic with the blue light on:

Last edited:
[URL='http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/lschefman/media/IMG_1535_zpspae9kxfu.jpg.html' said:
IMG_1535_zpspae9kxfu.jpg
[/URL]

What is the thing under the cab on the left?

What is the thing under the cab on the left?

That's the older version of the Auralex Gramma, that is sized for a 1z12 cab. Unfortunately, it's too small for my 2x12 cabs. I got a Great Gramma, but it's too narrow for the PRS cabs as well. I no longer have the small black 1x12 in the picture, it's been replaced with a PRS 2x12.

The Grammas work to isolate the cab from the floor, which reduces structure borne vibrations, buzzes and rattles. It helps a bit, but it's not perfect by itself. As I understand it, the new ones are better; Corey T has several, but again, they aren't wide enough for the PRS cabs.

I'm planning instead to have some risers custom made; Auralex sells the foam they use on the Grammas for drum platforms that one can glue to a custom platform.

However, I've also discovered another solution that for now I'm keeping to myself because I'm not sure it'll work.

Meantime, I have some Real Traps gobos that absorb excess low end and block the sound a bit for recording, and they work very well at preventing unwanted wall-shaking, etc.

Like Les mentioned, I have several.
I have the old style under the orange cab in the second picture, the newer ones sit closer to the floor and are easier to work with.
I have a small one underneath my Logitech Z680 subwoofer too for my TVs sound system.
And three underneath of my amps.
I got all of mine from Amazon.

1.jpg

3.jpg

While I don't own a DG50, I have played through one side by side with my 30. To me, they weren't very much related, which surprised me. We all filter stuff through our own perspective and my experience may be different from others, but the 50 reminded me more of my Super100JH. Crank it (and stand 100 feet away) and it was heaven. Dial it back and it's a pedal platform from heaven. If you want to gig live in the typical small club and have the amp do more than your pedals though, you may be disappointed. I'd highly recommend it, but it's not for the feint of heart. Take your favorite pedals and the 50 gives you tons of ways to color it.

While I don't own a DG50, I have played through one side by side with my 30. To me, they weren't very much related, which surprised me. We all filter stuff through our own perspective and my experience may be different from others, but the 50 reminded me more of my Super100JH. Crank it (and stand 100 feet away) and it was heaven. Dial it back and it's a pedal platform from heaven. If you want to gig live in the typical small club and have the amp do more than your pedals though, you may be disappointed. I'd highly recommend it, but it's not for the feint of heart. Take your favorite pedals and the 50 gives you tons of ways to color it.

So glad for this insight! Thanks!

That's the Super Dallas, exactly.

That's the Super Dallas, exactly.

Boogie, can you give me the lowdown on the Super dallas?? is it a hot rod version of the dallas? and even then I know nothing of the amp, I have just seen the dallas name around same as the texaplex (which I have been trying to get more info on as well)

Last edited:
Boogie, can you give me the lowdown on the Super dallas?? is it a hot rod version of the dallas? and even then I know nothing of the amp, I have just seen the dallas name around same as the texaplex (which I have been trying to get more info on as well)

Try this.

Here's info on the Grissom amps:

Last edited:
Back