Need a New Amp....

Since I haven't hunted single channel amps for a long time and you said you were leaning that way, I haven't suggested anything. I haven't hunted single channel amps in a bit and even when I did, they were still dual channel, just not your typical dual channel. I loved the Divided by 13 FTR 37. Sorta similar to a Matchless DC30 or Bad Cat Black Cat 30 minus the EF86. Sorry I don't have any real input on this one.

Still trying to focus squarely on the amp at this point. I have a good amount of options for the pedal board just need the foundation 1st.
One thing that does seem to be a consistent piece is that I seem to find myself leaning toward (as Les has pointed out regarding their awesomeness) a single channel amp. This video definitely gave some new perspectives

The video gives a good example of the DG30's ability to operate in that zone I was talking about, especially toward the end.

One thing to realize on the DG30 is that those kinds of tones are going to be loud, because the master does have to be set high (not necessarily on "10," but the good tones don't really start below around 6). And that's loud.

It's the same with the Lone Star combo I have. It becomes a completely different amp at 100 Watts when the Master is above noon. Suddenly it turns from "It's OK" to "Wow, very cool amp!" All the stuff you thought was pretty ordinary/dull comes alive in a good way.

But I gotta admit, one also says, "Geez, that's LOUD!"

Being 100 Watts, of course it's louder than the DG30 is cranked. But the lesson is that these amps want to be driven to get the output tubes involved, and when that happens, there's the magic.

The HXDA 30 likes the Master up past noon, too, but it sounds "magic" at somewhat lower volumes, where the DG30 and the Lone Star still haven't reached their sweet spots. So it's a little more forgiving to dial in.

I've said many times that at first I didn't grok the DG30, and the main reason is that I wasn't turning the Master up enough, didn't understand the interaction of the gain and master knobs, and didn't use the top cut correctly. But one gets the hang of it soon enough. With the DG30, the presence, top cut, gain and master all interact, and it's very easy to dial in weirdness if you're treating it like a typical master volume amp.

The place to start dialing in the DG amp is definitely with the settings Grissom uses, and experimenting from there. I find that I can duplicate his amp tones (obviously I sound different, I'm strictly speaking of the tone of the amp).

Last edited:
Since I haven't hunted single channel amps for a long time and you said you were leaning that way, I haven't suggested anything. I haven't hunted single channel amps in a bit and even when I did, they were still dual channel, just not your typical dual channel. I loved the Divided by 13 FTR 37. Sorta similar to a Matchless DC30 or Bad Cat Black Cat 30 minus the EF86. Sorry I don't have any real input on this one.

Another really nice amp, by the way.

When I refer to the Archon as PRS's flagship amp, it just means that I think it is their most versatile amp, no pedals needed, and that most people in general haven't discovered just how awesome they are.

This is why I love my Custom 50. The combination of a versatile guitar (P22/McCarty/Mira) along with the 2 channels plus boost on both channels covers so much territory it's amazing.
Not going to be everybody's cuppa but I seriously recommend trying one out. Lovely cleans, and can be a seriously dirty girl. Love it!

Another Update:

Fender Blues Deville:
So an old friend of mine brought this lovely little beast out to play. damn thing is approx 20 years old and plays amazingly and takes pedals well.

DMatthews: I played one a few years back (Before I bought my 2 channel H), damn dirty girl of an amp hehe

Another Update:

Fender Blues Deville:
So an old friend of mine brought this lovely little beast out to play. damn thing is approx 20 years old and plays amazingly and takes pedals well.

DMatthews: I played one a few years back (Before I bought my 2 channel H), damn dirty girl of an amp hehe
Lol!
OK, glad you had that covered. What made you get the H as opposed to the Custom?

Fender Blues Deville:

Really? I always found that amp seriously lacking. Had plenty of 'em come through my studio for sessions, and finally I banned them and their little dog Hot Rod Devilles, too! ;)

The Fender from the 90s I liked was the hand-wired Vibro-King. That was a great amp, and put the Blues Deville and all other Fenders from that era to shame.

Hand wired, pine cabinet, lots of richness and detail to the tone. One of the world's truly great amps, IMHO.

Last edited:
I know it is not stock. Believe me I am more amazed than anyone, I have never been a fan of fender anything heh.

Always thought Nash and Bigtex made better strats than fender and matchless and bad cat made better fender amps lol.

I think this was just one of those unique ones that made it past their QA LOL

Always thought Nash and Bigtex made better strats than fender and matchless and bad cat made better fender amps lol.

Matchless and Bad Cat were actually based on Vox amps...I think still are!

Mark Sampson started both companies, and the flagship amp is the DC30/HC30 that was done because touring pros couldn't rely on their old Vox AC30s. The Bad Cat version of the same amp is the Black Cat (BC30, seeing a pattern here? ;)).

I think that all of both companies' amps are either EL84 or EL34 based, and many have EF86 tubes in the preamp, like an AC30. Even the EL34 based amps have more of a Vox preamp section than either Marshall or Fender.

Anyway they're not based around Fender tone stacks, or 6V6, 6L6 power sections, etc.

On a personal note, I love Matchless/Bad Cat amps, and have had one. It was superb. Did the Vox "crushed glass" thing better than any amp I've owned, much like the old AC30s I played back in the day when I could get my hands on one.

In the Fender world, I think that Fender still makes a hand-wired version of the Vibro King, the 20th Anniversary model. I don't know if it's as good as the original that came out in the 90s, but I'd sure give it a try if you want that style of amp! Best Fender I've ever played, including my original Blackface Bassman, and the original '65 Twin, Brownface Concert-Amp, or BF Band-Master. I even like it better than many original 50s Tweed amps I've had in the studio for sessions.

Here I am promoting a non-PRS amp. I should be shot. ;)

Last edited:
Still on the hunt
Was able to check out a badcat tremcat and a one of the new supro amps. The trem cat was something else I was fairly impressed the supro on the other hand was just meh. I played a little with a vox Ac15 but want to play around with that one more before I amke a decision

Still on the hunt
Was able to check out a badcat tremcat and a one of the new supro amps. The trem cat was something else I was fairly impressed the supro on the other hand was just meh. I played a little with a vox Ac15 but want to play around with that one more before I amke a decision

Which Supro did you try? I haven't heard one in person, but I like the video demos of a few I've heard.

Not that it'd be the right amp for me if I only had one amp, but I was thinking it'd be a nice "alt" amp for the right studio (not mine, I can get that vintage Americana kind of flavor and more from the DG30).

Last edited:
Which Supro did you try? I haven't heard one in person, but I like the video demos of a few I've heard.

Not that it'd be the right amp for me if I only had one amp, but I was thinking it'd be a nice "alt" amp for the right studio (not mine, I can get that vintage Americana kind of flavor and more from the DG30).
Coronado.
I have heard alot regarding the supro black magick but I didnt get to check it out
I find myself wanting to see if i can find a DG50 to play through. Les did you ever get to play through one? If so could you impart the differences

I bought a new EVH head and cab, I will give you a demo of it when it arrives.
It is perfect for an apartment too.

I find myself wanting to see if i can find a DG50 to play through. Les did you ever get to play through one? If so could you impart the differences

I haven't played through one yet. I'd like to, but haven't seen one in the wild.

However, if all goes well this year, I might buy one.

excellent then I can take the 30 off your hands :p

I think you'd be making a mistake getting the DG30. And you've stated why:

My old 20 watt Channel H was insanely loud...More of a concern is blowing the windows out of the house haha.

If you thought the 20 Watt Channel H was loud...the DG doesn't even START to sound its best until the Master is 2/3 of the way up, and it doesn't sound its very best until it's maxed at the normal setting, and nearly 4/5 up at the boost setting. In fact, it's too loud for me to run it in the studio at that 4/5 setting because it shakes the walls and ceiling too much (I like the Boost setting best because it's a little fatter).

But brother, that's LOUD.

Yes, good. Oh, very good.

Wait, did I mention, the amp is loud?

Also, you have most preferred the Matchless Chieftain, the Matchless Clubman 30, and the Bad Cat. They are indeed great amps, but fundamentally very different from the DG30 in style and concept. I think their tone structure is more "crushed glass" on the top end, where the breakup of the DG30 is more "crunchy-crackly" on the top, and a lot fatter in the midrange, where the Matchless/Bad Cat amps tend to be a little leaner.

And as loud as they are, they actually don't need to be quite as loud as the DG30 to sound their best. (at least, that was my experience with my Bad Cat Hot Cat).

Whether they're any more versatile is another matter, Both the Matchless amps and the DG amp do a "thing" that either you love or not.

If the Matchless/Bad Cat tone is your thing, I don't see why you'd consider anything else.

I honestly think the DG30 is an old-school, play-out-with-a-band, play loud in a studio, Tweed-plus-who-knows-what flavored amp, that has its quirks unless you're prepared for some serious volume. But crank it up, and man, what a sound!

Also, the amp needs the matching DG 2x12 cab to sound its best even with the volume up, etc.

If you love, if you dig, the Grissom tones, that's what you get, 100%. But it's a specialty amp, designed with the input of a player who has a "thing" re: his tone. And if you're not in the mood for that "thing" on any given day, it's not happening with the DG30 without some tone shaping pedals. And...it's kind of fussy about its pedals. Some work really well, some not, though that's true of most amps.

My favorites with the DG have been the Suhr Kokoboost and Xotic EP Boost for clean boosts, the Xotic BB and Fulltone Plimsoul for overdrive, and the Suhr compressor; though the usual assortment of quality modulation and delay pedals have all been fine. The amp is less picky about its mod and delay pedals than its ODs and boosts.

That said, I LOVE my DG30 amp, and consider it essential to my rig. It's one of the two finest amps I've ever had in my studio, let alone owned. For a warm, midrange-oriented, roots sound, the DG is the real deal, but you have been forewarned about the volume and the need for pedals to vary the tone!

OTOH, if it's not going to be your only amp, if you're going to hang onto a more general-purpose, do-most-other-things amp like the Bogner you already have, then the DG would be a great choice if you can stand the volume, or don't mind an attenuator.

Last edited:
:D
Im thinking your the kind of person that makes me glad I don't live in an apartment.LOL.
He he, I have two 2x12s and a Carvin 4x12 here too, but I am not using them now.
My EVH may show up next Friday, and I will try and get a video of it.
I am going to dime it for ya too, that should shake some of the dust off my walls.

Back