My band rejected my request to move from acoustic to electric guitar

Hmm. The sound "he" strives for? My friend, it's obvious that you want to serve the Lord and this guy for whatever reason is getting in your way of doing so because of what he wants. It's flat out not right.

As DISTORT6 said, this guy turned you into a prop. I'm sure there's another church that will welcome you with open arms and with open ears. Pray and ask for guidance over this.
I agree. I did have to turn down invitations to lead but I didn't want to be spread thin with two kids and a wife all taking part in the church.

He keeps on saying that the sound he strives for doesn't include an acoustic guitar. He's so weird.

Speaking of auditions, they made me go to someone's basement and do an audition. This is a mega church but they made me drive 4 hours just to play one song. Then they didn't even bother updating me about the result. When I did pressed them, the dude who heard me play called me annd said I played drums with this band and that band, and I saw guitarists way better you. Yikes. I should have run back then. Then the church told me not to talk about the audition to anyone.
I'm pretty sure how I would handle it.......

It would seem that the sound guy is actually the fall guy. I can‘t imagine a real, continuing situation where he mutes an instrument every week without the musical director being directly involved with that. In other words, it’s not the sound guy—he’s doing what he’s doing at the direction of others.

It’s time to have some honest, forthright conversations. Ask them what you need to do in order to become an active participant.

It would seem that the sound guy is actually the fall guy. I can‘t imagine a real, continuing situation where he mutes an instrument every week without the musical director being directly involved with that. In other words, it’s not the sound guy—he’s doing what he’s doing at the direction of others.

It’s time to have some honest, forthright conversations. Ask them what you need to do in order to become an active participant.
I asked him point blank if he was taking the bullet for the rest and he initially said yes. But when I asked him what they exactly said, it was totally the opposite. The worship pastor said that I needed to be heard more. Funny how he lied initially and made it sound like this was everyone's decision.

I asked him point blank if he was taking the bullet for the rest and he initially said yes. But when I asked him what they exactly said, it was totally the opposite. The worship pastor said that I needed to be heard more. Funny how he lied initially and made it sound like this was everyone's decision.

A mega church involves a lot of politics and money. From what you've said, it sounds like they were all working towards a few of things:

Limiting your involvement, because they don't believe your skills are up to the task. They need to provide a high-quality product to a large congregation. That congregation has certain perceived expectations which have to be met.

By muting you, they limit the "damage" you can do to the product they're providing. They also allow you to participate in a harmless way. They're thinking they can satisfy your need to be involved and their need to have high-quality music, without hurting your feelings.

They're giving you some pretty strong hints that they don't want you involved, but you're not taking them. Making you audition four hours away, with one song? Muting you? None of that says, "we want more from you!" It says, "please go away."

You shouldn't be angry with the sound guy. It's very likely he's doing what he was told to do.

A mega church involves a lot of politics and money. From what you've said, it sounds like they were all working towards a few of things:

Limiting your involvement, because they don't believe your skills are up to the task. They need to provide a high-quality product to a large congregation. That congregation has certain perceived expectations which have to be met.

By muting you, they limit the "damage" you can do to the product they're providing. They also allow you to participate in a harmless way. They're thinking they can satisfy your need to be involved and their need to have high-quality music, without hurting your feelings.

They're giving you some pretty strong hints that they don't want you involved, but you're not taking them. Making you audition four hours away, with one song? Muting you? None of that says, "we want more from you!" It says, "please go away."

You shouldn't be angry with the sound guy. It's very likely he's doing what he was told to do.
Maybe I do need to take a hint. If it is because I suck then I hope to quit by the end of 2023. As you've stated, others may be trying to be nice about it by not speaking to me directly, which is not so nice.

As far as the skill level is concerned, I shared my issue with the entire band and the outgoing electric guitarist pulled me aside and asked me to play. I was about to quit so I said why not let him just listen and be blunt. He was blunt and he definitely said that my skill level is fine and doesn't deserve muting. He said he played with Berklee and Juliard folks but he said there must be another reason. He and I ruled out skill level. I am new so I just duck my head and stay out of drama. If it really is the SE wanting to produce his own preferred sound then he really should go...just like the dude who made me audition and talked trash about me, he's gone.

He keeps on saying that the sound he strives for doesn't include an acoustic guitar. He's so weird.

Speaking of auditions, they made me go to someone's basement and do an audition. This is a mega church but they made me drive 4 hours just to play one song. Then they didn't even bother updating me about the result. When I did pressed them, the dude who heard me play called me annd said I played drums with this band and that band, and I saw guitarists way better you. Yikes. I should have run back then. Then the church told me not to talk about the audition to anyone.
This seems to have red flags all over it.

I have to say that I have seen and heard some pretty bad things in God's name... I have seen firsthand why people leave churches. It is no different than any other sort of club or where people gather. You have jerks everywhere and people that just don't understand how to talk to other people. They say things that they wouldn't want other people to say to them and somehow don't seem to understand why people get offended when they do it.

This is a very straight forward post of things I was thinking too.

Take the context completely out of church, as it really has nothing to do with your concerns or conflict. The facts of your situation would apply to any band, playing anywhere.

You want to play electric, you are simply being tolerated to pose playing acoustic guitar that’s being muted. Why stay if you aren’t contributing, or if your contribution is unwanted/unneeded/unappreciated? I say that kindly-intended. You’re doing fine, but you’re salt in the pepper jar. Good salt, but not pepper. Step away, do so gracefully but honestly. There are other outlets to play, so that need not be abandoned.

As a matter of faith and service to God, there are many churches and many avenues to serve in each of them, especially large ones. Perhaps your place of service there simply isn’t on stage, and you’re being directed away from one service to another where your impact will be more substantial. The music door may open later, and obstacles removed. I’ve seen that many times, and I’ve had the opportunity to be used in ways I’d have never conceived (or chosen first). Your comment clearly says you’re being directed to something else, if not somewhere else. Take the leading. I wish you the best.

Having been the Sound Engineer it always upsetting to me to have the worship leader tell me to turn someone off or down. It upset me more that it was me they were turning off, when it was them who asked me to be upthere and contribute to begin with. I eventually left my church after the hipocracy hit me between the eyes. But, that is a whole other diatribe.

I would recommend seeking a new house of worship, and get to know their team. Get permission, go to practices, play along with them. See if you are a good fit. Then ask the worship leader their thoughts and if there is an opening.

Back