McLaughlin & Herring to Tour Together

Austin show update(11/30):

Herring came out first and did their 45 minute set. Highlight for me? Les Brers in A Minor. His solo was somewhere between Macon and Mars. And if you where expecting to hear anything remotely resembling a pentatonic scale, you had another think coming. A lot of volume pedal usage. Then the Maestro came out and did his set with the 4th Dimension. McLaughlin's tone is interesting to hear. It's not a 'classic rock/blues' tone(like Herring's), but kind of fizzy and thin but with sustain; not buzzy or distorted either yet fits right in the mix too. You could hear every single note of his playing. His technique, style and articulation is something to behold. I finally realized sitting there and listening, and after all these years, that when you combine virtuoso skill and talent with very deep and heartfelt artistic expression, you get the one and only, John McLaughlin. The finale for me was 'Dance of Maya', played note for note, damn good and loud.

The only PRS display was for the Auction for the Double Neck and there were handouts of a PRS pamphlet describing the history of PRS and some factory photos. The concert/tour poster was selling for $40, I passed on that...

A very inspiring and humbling experience.

Last edited:
Super bummed I missed this tour. I just couldn't get down to Chicago those dates. :(
At least there's that video of a whole show, which is cool. That double neck is sweet.

I saw the show - tremendous! But looking forward to the CD to listen to and really focus on the awesomeness!

Back