Convert Hollowbody II SE piezo to Core piezo

lazerdriver

I am curious to know if anyone with a Hollowbody II SE Piezo has had it converted to use a Core piezo system, and if so how you felt about the results? Would it be a major difference or would it be a “meh” difference? Or has anyone ever compared the SE piezo to the Core piezo and thought the Core piezo was significantly better?

I recently got the HBII SE Piezo and have not been too impressed with the piezo part of it. The top is really nice flame, better than many I’ve seen and I like it in general, but the piezo just sounds muddy to me no matter what I do to eq it on my amps cleanest settings. On the other hand I have a Godin LGXT, which has the individual piezos per string and it is clear as a bell, although that guitar also has a built-in 3 band eq for the piezo.

I checked with PRS tech support and the Core piezo conversion costs about $850 for parts and labor including piezo switch. I currently have the guitar at PTC for some warranty work, so now would be the ideal time to do it if I were to do it. And if I wanted to go full blown conversion to Core HBIIP electronics and replace the pickups as well that would add another $650 ($500 for the 58/15LT pickup set and $150 to install them). I paid $1200 for the SE new (sale price plus $200 credit from seller due to two issues I discovered after getting it - for which the warranty work that is now being done). So my total investment in the guitar would end up being $2700 which is approaching about 40% of the cost of a Core HBIIP 10-top, or about half the cost of the figured-top version. Or just do the piezo upgrade for total investment of $2050.

Alternately I could just keep it as-is and sell it in a few years, then get the Core 10-top (or figures-top) version. Should I expect to be blown away by the Core version, or would it be just a marginal sounding/feeling/snob-appeal upgrade? Th SE version has a few aesthetic features I like over the Core, like neck and f-hole binding and ebony fingerboard. While the Core has the phase iii locking tuners, better inlays, solid figured or 10-top and mahogany sides. Not sure if those things alone would justify the 40-60% cost increase over just upgrading the electronics on the SE. The problem with the high end PRS is you almost have to just buy them on faith and reputation. It’s not like you can just walk in any guitar store and they have a couple of them available for a test drive.

Is all this just stupid? If I did these conversions would it be unrealistic to expect to get any of that back if I were ever to sell it in the future? I’m not as concerned about that as I am that I would get it done and the “wow” factor would just not be there.

This is my first PRS so I would be interested to hear some opinions or experiences of some of the PRS enthusiasts out there.

Last edited:
I'd wait it out and score a core instead. I like my SE HB but core it is not and it shouldn't be for the price difference. I thought it would scratch the itch for a Core but in reality it just made it stronger..

If you think you will eventually sell the guitar and get the core, don't put the money into it. You will never get anywhere near what you have into it out of it. If you are okay with dropping that sort of cash into it and are aware that you will never be able to recover any of it, then you could consider it since there are some things you like about the SE that the core doesn't have. Just do it with your expectations that everything you put into it will have no value to the next owner if you sell it, well, at least during the sale process.

I am curious to know if anyone with a Hollowbody II SE Piezo has had it converted to use a Core piezo system, and if so how you felt about the results? Would it be a major difference or would it be a “meh” difference? Or has anyone ever compared the SE piezo to the Core piezo and thought the Core piezo was significantly better?

I recently got the HBII SE Piezo and have not been too impressed with the piezo part of it. The top is really nice flame, better than many I’ve seen and I like it in general, but the piezo just sounds muddy to me no matter what I do to eq it on my amps cleanest settings. On the other hand I have a Godin LGXT, which has the individual piezos per string and it is clear as a bell, although that guitar also has a built-in 3 band eq for the piezo.

I checked with PRS tech support and the Core piezo conversion costs about $850 for parts and labor including piezo switch. I currently have the guitar at PTC for some warranty work, so now would be the ideal time to do it if I were to do it. And if I wanted to go full blown conversion to Core HBIIP electronics and replace the pickups as well that would add another $650 ($500 for the 58/15LT pickup set and $150 to install them). I paid $1200 for the SE new (sale price plus $200 credit from seller due to two issues I discovered after getting it - for which the warranty work that is now being done). So my total investment in the guitar would end up being $2700 which is approaching about 40% of the cost of a Core HBIIP 10-top, or about half the cost of the figured-top version. Or just do the piezo upgrade for total investment of $2050.

Alternately I could just keep it as-is and sell it in a few years, then get the Core 10-top (or figures-top) version. Should I expect to be blown away by the Core version, or would it be just a marginal sounding/feeling/snob-appeal upgrade? Th SE version has a few aesthetic features I like over the Core, like neck and f-hole binding and ebony fingerboard. While the Core has the phase iii locking tuners, better inlays, solid figured or 10-top and mahogany sides. Not sure if those things alone would justify the 40-60% cost increase over just upgrading the electronics on the SE. The problem with the high end PRS is you almost have to just buy them on faith and reputation. It’s not like you can just walk in any guitar store and they have a couple of them available for a test drive.

Is all this just stupid? If I did these conversions would it be unrealistic to expect to get any of that back if I were ever to sell it in the future? I’m not as concerned about that as I am that I would get it done and the “wow” factor would just not be there.

This is my first PRS so I would be interested to hear some opinions or experiences of some of the PRS enthusiasts out there.
There are so many SE HB II Piezo out there you may not get much momentary appreciation out of that mod, but would gain some flexibility and a cool bragging right.

That said, I have the same guitar and the Puedo sounds great, IMHO. I do play through an FRFR, perhaps your amp is making the piezo dull?

Interested in how you'll proceed. Cool idea!

It really does depend on you and what you would prefer to do. If you upgrade the SE, it will still likely be 'different' because its made a different way (Laminates instead of carved solid woods) and slightly different size too - its a bigger body, if you come to sell in the future, its still an 'SE' HBii so won't get the 'value' of upgrades you've put into it and might not actually be much better in your ears...

Alternatively, you could sell the 'SE' HBii and put that money, as well as all the 'costs' involved in upgrading into purchasing a Core. If you buy used, it may not cost too much more too and, if you do decide to sell in the future, you'll probably not 'lose' much either. It will hold its 'value' much more than an upgraded SE - although only really matters if do decide to trade/sell in the future.

Pro's and Con's to both - upgrading may well be more 'cost' effective, but also less likely to hold its 'value', Core maybe more expensive, but long term will hold its value better...

I can't advise on what I really think you should do as I don't know you, what would be the 'best' way you should go to suit you, your budget, your plans, your expectations etc so it really does come down to what you think will be the better way for you. We all have 'different' preferences and the 'end' result of upgrading may sound too similar to 'justify' the cost to you, but could also be enough of an improvement to make it worthwhile, saving you the expense on a Core so I won't assume to know what you'd 'feel'...

My HBii with Piezo is my most expensive guitar purchase to date but I don't 'regret' my decision to purchase - even now that an SE version is available and seems to be an excellent guitar for the price at a quarter of the cost - but I'd still prefer the Core, than the SE or than an upgraded SE with US Piezo/Pups and Electronics myself but that is 'my' preference.

This is mine - with a 1 piece top/back and my favourite colour scheme too..

UzQSZTB.jpg

And the back...
hH2MVYV.jpg

I wouldn't trade this for an SE or an SE with US piezo/Pups myself...

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you, your budget, your circumstances etc. Good luck and I hope you find the best solution to suit you...

I would not advocate spending $850 for an upgrade if you've never played it yourself to hear how it sounds. That's a big roll of the dice. I expect it would certainly sound different, but that doesn't mean you'd like it any better. Before the PTC ships it back to you, I'd say try to find anywhere that you can play one and decide - I know you said it's hard, but is there any store within a reasonable driving distance?

@Mozzi that’s a beauty! Did you get to play it before you bought it, or did you just take it on faith and take the plunge?

I have tracked a few used ones on Reverb and have seen some excellent/mint condition 10-tops come and go at about $2k less than new, so used is definitely an option. Although I think I would prefer new. Financially I can swing a new one. It’s just a matter of committing to the idea of doing it and waiting until I find just the “right one”. I am planning to retire next year and am thinking I could justify the purchase as a retirement present for myself, lol.

I appreciate everyone’s great input on this subject. I am now convinced the upgrade is not the way to go. While the SE is pretty nice for now, they are a dime a dozen and I would ultimately regret pouring more money into it. It was just a something to consider while it was at the tech center.

The only authorized dealers in my area (Mpls/St. Paul, MN) are 4 GC’s, and they don‘t stock any PRS at this level. The next nearest I have seen is about 100 miles away in Wisconsin (https://www.davesguitar.com/). Maybe I’ll take a drive there in the spring and try some out. They seem to have a huge stock of the higher end PRS.

This one looks pretty cool. I dont think I have ever seen one with a maple neck and fretboard:
https://www.davesguitar.com/collect...wood-library-limited-faded-gray-black-w-maple

And this too:
https://www.davesguitar.com/collect...ezo-wood-library-limited-orange-tiger-w-maple

I asked PRS about the “wood library” models and they said something like they only do these special editions for certain dealers, although I could also custom order one like these. Does anyone know if when you custom order do they let you see and/or choose in advance the actual 10-top wood they plan to use? Or is it like you order a 10-top and you get whatever you get?

The only authorized dealers in my area (Mpls/St. Paul, MN) are 4 GC’s, and they don‘t stock any PRS at this level. The next nearest I have seen is about 100 miles away in Wisconsin (https://www.davesguitar.com/). Maybe I’ll take a drive there in the spring and try some out. They seem to have a huge stock of the higher end PRS.
Dave's rocks! I can't praise them enough.

Yeah, I went there once about 20 years ago when I was shopping for a Rickenbacker. Pretty cool store and nice small town on the Mississippi River.
They've got a few locations. I'm closest to MMilwaukee. I try to go up every so often. It's only an hour from my office.

I asked PRS about the “wood library” models and they said something like they only do these special editions for certain dealers, although I could also custom order one like these. Does anyone know if when you custom order do they let you see and/or choose in advance the actual 10-top wood they plan to use? Or is it like you order a 10-top and you get whatever you get?
Sounds to me like by custom order, they mean Private Stock, as wood library is a run of a small number of guitars for a dealer, and they make certain choices outside of stock options. So if you were to order a Private Stock, yes I believe you get to choose/approve your specific top. As far as I know though, that is the only custom order product currently offered by PRS. There used to be Artist's Package that had some customer options, but no more (and those did not allow for specific piece of wood choice anyhow)

GC isn’t your only option in the Twin Cities. Willie’s is in St. Paul.

Until just recently, they had a beautiful new HBII Piezo in stock.

Unless you really love your guitar, I can’t imagine sinking that kind of money into an SE. I picked up a used HBII (no piezo) last month for about what you’d have into the SE.

GC isn’t your only option in the Twin Cities. Willie’s is in St. Paul.

Until just recently, they had a beautiful new HBII Piezo in stock.

Unless you really love your guitar, I can’t imagine sinking that kind of money into an SE. I picked up a used HBII (no piezo) last month for about what you’d have into the SE.
Yeah, the more I think about it, and the more feedback I get here, the more I think "WTH was I thinking" :)

I like Willie's too. Another great non-chain guitar store. I have used them for work on my guitars for years. Too bad they moved, not sure why and I didn't ask last time I was there. Maybe financial reasons? I think they moved during the peak of the pandemic. They used to have a cool little old-school mom and pops store in a residential neighborhood, now they are in a bunker off of 280.

Sounds to me like by custom order, they mean Private Stock, as wood library is a run of a small number of guitars for a dealer, and they make certain choices outside of stock options. So if you were to order a Private Stock, yes I believe you get to choose/approve your specific top. As far as I know though, that is the only custom order product currently offered by PRS. There used to be Artist's Package that had some customer options, but no more (and those did not allow for specific piece of wood choice anyhow)
OK, that makes sense. Looking around on the PRS website and it looks like what you said: private stock = custom order. Probably a higher price point than I would eventually want to go to, but seen some beauties of those. I'll keep looking at the regular core 10-tops and wood library models.

OK, that makes sense. Looking around on the PRS website and it looks like what you said: private stock = custom order. Probably a higher price point than I would eventually want to go to, but seen some beauties of those. I'll keep looking at the regular core 10-tops and wood library models.

Wood Library is 'small' production runs that a dealer specifies - usually min 10 guitars, 5 colours and 2 different 'specs/models' which 'differ' from the Core 'Mahogany/Maple' bodies and Mahogany/Indian Rosewood fretboards - so flamed Maple necks or Ash body guitars can exist on the market.

For 'personal' builds, as in something a retailer isn't willing to order '10' or more guitars, even if 1 of them is an 'easy' sell to you, then you have Private Stock where you go through a 'retailer' to at least start the commissioning process.

You can ask your PRS dealer, especially if they have done Wood Library runs with PRS to discuss if they'd consider or know ;) if they can source a PRS in a specific wood spec if it differs from the core, even ask if they can source one in a specific colour or 'grading' of the top - although none of my guitars are 10-tops, I know that 'matters' to some.

As for whether I tried my HBii first or 'took the faith' and ordered 'brand new' from a reputable dealer whom I have purchased from before and know I could have returned if unsatisfied in anyway? I ordered and the fact I still have and enjoy playing, couldn't find any 'reason' to be unhappy, and if anything, think it exceeded my expectation - considering it was (and still is) my most expensive purchase. It's not everyday you find a brand new HBii in my favourite colour and with a beautiful 1 Piece Top and Back, double faux binding too...

1Q2v5kW.jpg

It wasn't my 'first' PRS and had a pretty good idea of what to expect and/or hope for, and yet even after falling for the way the shop Pics looked, it exceeded 'expectations' in person in every way.

You could say I didn't set my expectations 'high' enough but having bought 'several' PRS guitars brand new before, I think my expectations were set pretty well and have NO desire to part with it. It may of cost me 4x more than an SE would have, maybe given me the same tonal range and functionality, but I don't know that I'd feel the same playing it and at my age, I'd rather be playing what I want on what I want and feel 'happiest' with in my hands. If 'ultimately' you want to own a 'US' HBii, then buy it if you can or 'work' towards it and if that means making do with a 'perfectly' good SE that 'does' everything you could want or expect it to do, even be as close to a core as to be a financially 'difficult' decision today, you'll always be wanting to 'upgrade', to modify etc striving for 'better' because you'll think the SE is 'fantastic' maybe, but must need 'upgrading'' to make it 'better' somehow - US Pups, US Piezo, different electronics, tuners etc and you'll always 'doubt' whether it 'could' be better because of the different way its built and still crave a US made one. If you find one at the right Price for you, from a 'reputable' seller who would accept a return if you aren't happy, go for it...

Private Stock is ordered through a dealer, and it generally starts at more than twice the Core models cost, and can quickly escalate depending on what you want to do

Wood Library is 'small' production runs that a dealer specifies - usually min 10 guitars, 5 colours and 2 different 'specs/models' which 'differ' from the Core 'Mahogany/Maple' bodies and Mahogany/Indian Rosewood fretboards - so flamed Maple necks or Ash body guitars can exist on the market.

For 'personal' builds, as in something a retailer isn't willing to order '10' or more guitars, even if 1 of them is an 'easy' sell to you, then you have Private Stock where you go through a 'retailer' to at least start the commissioning process.

You can ask your PRS dealer, especially if they have done Wood Library runs with PRS to discuss if they'd consider or know ;) if they can source a PRS in a specific wood spec if it differs from the core, even ask if they can source one in a specific colour or 'grading' of the top - although none of my guitars are 10-tops, I know that 'matters' to some.

As for whether I tried my HBii first or 'took the faith' and ordered 'brand new' from a reputable dealer whom I have purchased from before and know I could have returned if unsatisfied in anyway? I ordered and the fact I still have and enjoy playing, couldn't find any 'reason' to be unhappy, and if anything, think it exceeded my expectation - considering it was (and still is) my most expensive purchase. It's not everyday you find a brand new HBii in my favourite colour and with a beautiful 1 Piece Top and Back, double faux binding too...

1Q2v5kW.jpg

It wasn't my 'first' PRS and had a pretty good idea of what to expect and/or hope for, and yet even after falling for the way the shop Pics looked, it exceeded 'expectations' in person in every way.

You could say I didn't set my expectations 'high' enough but having bought 'several' PRS guitars brand new before, I think my expectations were set pretty well and have NO desire to part with it. It may of cost me 4x more than an SE would have, maybe given me the same tonal range and functionality, but I don't know that I'd feel the same playing it and at my age, I'd rather be playing what I want on what I want and feel 'happiest' with in my hands. If 'ultimately' you want to own a 'US' HBii, then buy it if you can or 'work' towards it and if that means making do with a 'perfectly' good SE that 'does' everything you could want or expect it to do, even be as close to a core as to be a financially 'difficult' decision today, you'll always be wanting to 'upgrade', to modify etc striving for 'better' because you'll think the SE is 'fantastic' maybe, but must need 'upgrading'' to make it 'better' somehow - US Pups, US Piezo, different electronics, tuners etc and you'll always 'doubt' whether it 'could' be better because of the different way its built and still crave a US made one. If you find one at the right Price for you, from a 'reputable' seller who would accept a return if you aren't happy, go for it...
Thanks for posting this Core HB II Piezo. I am amazed at the similarities the SE version has.

I have seen a few guitars listed as Artist Package. Some of them have a photo of a COA, an offical looking document describing the details of the guitar, etc. Would it be realistic to expect that if someone is selling a used Artist Package guitar, that is should include the COA? (assuming they didn't toss it)

I have seen a few guitars listed as Artist Package. Some of them have a photo of a COA, an offical looking document describing the details of the guitar, etc. Would it be realistic to expect that if someone is selling a used Artist Package guitar, that is should include the COA? (assuming they didn't toss it)

Are you asking about hang tags? Those give basic info such as the model, neck, pickups, and completion date. Depending on what type of person you are, that may or may not be important to you. All of the useful info on it can be had by sending PRS customer service an email with the SN and asking for the information.

Private Stocks come with a letter describing all of the particular customizations.

Some limited-run guitars have a letter describing what makes them unique or the circumstances that led to the production of them.

I’ve never really understood the purpose of a COA when it comes to a guitar. The guitar is either genuine or it isn’t, and a piece of paper is a lot less challenging to fake than a guitar. Whether or not a used PRS includes the hang tag doesn’t matter to me. The hang tags I have just sit in the case pockets.

Back