A bunch of guys with guitars that want to play music

Wakester

Re Member
I got an opportunity Thursday night that I could not pass up. My wife got 2 tickets to see the Eagles at Keybank Center in Buffalo, NY for like $15 each through an organization called VetTix. Most times these tend to be nose bleed seats, but occasionally they have really good seats available. If you are a US military Veteran, look them up. You can donate tickets to them as well, if you can not go and know enough in advance.

Anyway, this was the "Hotel California" tour and they played the entire HC album track for track, front to back, including a lovely young lady that came out to flip the record over and restart the record player. That 40 minute set alone was well worth the original ticket price. Of course Henley was on Drums most of the set. Vince Gill has taken over the slot left by the passing of Glenn Frey. Timothy Schmit on bass, Steuart Smith on Lead and Rhythm guitars, Joe Walsh On Lead Guitars and occasional Keys. Scott Crago filled in on the drum kit as he has for many years, when Henley was out on guitar. They also had a small orchestra back up as well as a Choir for one or two pieces.

Of interest to me was the sheer number of guitars played by Gill, Walsh and Smith. I think Vince had about 8 acoustics and electrics, Smith went through at least that many, and Joe used a different guitar on each of the HC songs, then had another 3 or 4 for the second set that he used as well. Joe pulled out 3 PRSi in the second set. a Semi-Hollow 22, a Custom 22 (pictured) and the JW594SC. One thing is certain, Joe is not a slave to any one brand. He used A bit of everything, Gibson, Fender, PRS, LTD, were the predominant brands in his hands. Walsh's guitar playing was phenomenal and note for note spot on. His singing on the other hand was not.

The staging and lighting was very simple, very plain. Mostly just white or red lights with the obligatory Jumbotron and wing screens on either side. Even that display was rather plain. But, as Don Henley pointed out at the end of the first break, "We are just a bunch of guys with guitars that want to play music." and that is what they did. Overall it was an excellent show and I am glad I went.

This is the only picture I could get that didn't come out super blurry:
05s1NZk.jpg

Sounds like a great show. Vince has a pretty incredible guitar collection, and he plays them! Steuart Smith is a seriously underrated guitarist who has played on an incredible number of hits. The players backing the Eagles have always been top shelf. Of course, the band is in such an elite group themselves that their songs are as familiar as breathing. More power to them, I say. Keep playing those guitars and making that music!

Back