Loosing chops

What really saved my bacon: the combination of PV and pattern PRS neck carves with the appropriate (25" and under) scale length. Pattern thin makes my fretting hand cramp up in what feels like ten seconds (probably closer to a minute) -- it's wild to experience, I grew up on skinny necks.

There's only one logical progression coming out of the text I see myself typing: I'm gunna need a Santana in the future, or something wide/fat.

Wishing you all the best!

Thanks man!!

Yeah, wide/fat is WONDERFUL!!! So is 25" scale. If I am having a tough time, I'll gig the SC245 - it helps just enough to make tension lighter. I do 9s already....hoping to have to do 8s, lol.

I agree, it IS weird when grabbing a thin necked guitar. I am done in almost NO time. Frustrating, indeed - especially since my formative years were all done on the Ibanez Wizard neck.

It's all good though. I am happy to still be out almost every weekend doing my songs, playing to a variety of markets around the state, repping the brand (unofficially, lol). We're doing a full-length starting in March then it's on to new material. No issues there, I'll just write appropriate parts.

I agree, it IS weird when grabbing a thin necked guitar. I am done in almost NO time. Frustrating, indeed - especially since my formative years were all done on the Ibanez Wizard neck.

Right? It was a mind job seeing it in action -- I even went back and forth even blind testing a bunch of necks off the local shop's wall before bringing home the CU24, and the results were consistent every time.
Sorry that it affects you similarly, although I must confess it's reassuring to read I'm not the only one. Makes me want to shout from the nearest mountaintop for players who haven't found these specs as a potential solution...

It's all good though. I am happy to still be out almost every weekend doing my songs, playing to a variety of markets around the state, repping the brand (unofficially, lol). We're doing a full-length starting in March then it's on to new material. No issues there, I'll just write appropriate parts.

Glad to hear, that's fantastic.

There's only one logical progression coming out of the text I see myself typing: I'm gunna need a Santana in the future, or something wide/fat.

Oooo.....late to the party! There's work to be done!

Hey guys, we got another one.

Present, and ready for duty, SIR!

Hey I almost did it twice already, but I needed these other cores, you see...

That's what I thought. I learned my lesson in the commissioning of a ruse! And, fell mighty hard!

You might need those other things to, but you need a Santana most.

.....or 5 :p

You just think you needed those other ones because you don’t have a Santana yet.

This! Absolutely true statement! If you're in love with the maple neck on the Cu24, I've got something for you to check out! It's even Black Gold. Test drive only, though!

That's what I thought. I learned my lesson in the commissioning of a ruse! And, fell mighty hard!

Heh. You know I've had eyes for 'em for ages, it's just a matter of time.

The hell of it is: in the long run, adding cores is probably cheaper than getting physical therapy for my joints, the traditional way. My rheumatologist approves greatly of my recent shopping, so perhaps that's all the future excuse I'll need :D

Heh. You know I've had eyes for 'em for ages, it's just a matter of time.

The hell of it is: in the long run, adding cores is probably cheaper than getting physical therapy for my joints, the traditional way. My rheumatologist approves greatly of my recent shopping, so perhaps that's all the future excuse I'll need :D

Hell, you may be able to claim a couple of guitars through your insurance!

Since we added a guitar player to our band, I feel like I’m loosing my rhythm and riffing chops. He does more of that than I do now. Maybe it’s because we’ve been in writing mode the past couple months and once we get back into running our set, it won’t seem so bad. Either way, my duties have shifted somewhat in the band and I need to get to work doing what I used to just do. Which I’m kind of annoyed about. Anyhow, just venting a bit. :)

hey bro'
venting is good.
you control your life. to play guitar, and in a band, u have to feel good about the whole "thing."
don't lose your chops for anything or anyone.
cheers!

hey bro'
venting is good.
you control your life. to play guitar, and in a band, u have to feel good about the whole "thing."
don't lose your chops for anything or anyone.
cheers!
I’ve actually spent a little time this week on just playing some riffs. Like being the cake rather than the icing on the cake. At any rate, came up with a new idea. But with my rust, I gotta polish it up a bit.

I’ve rejoined a band where I play keys and guitar. Very much an “icing” role where I supliment the singers rhythm guitar parts but, I’ve had to get back into the swing of playing for a whole song.

It’s a painful reminder of how fast your chops and stamina disappear if all you do is wank about on guitar around the house for a couple years.

I’ve had to get back into the swing of playing for a whole song.
That's the nail on the head, even if you jam along to a whole song on the radio or recording you usually just do a few parts or wank. But playing the whole tune front to end compared to noodling can be really far from each other. Sometimes I force myself to do that and I get surprised at how quickly fatigue will set in, especially without a band to pump you up.

If I have a drummer & bass player to jam with, I'll get so pumped up that I can go a few tunes, I'll just pay for it the next day.:eek: "Oh my back"
That's why my last gig was solo rhythm gtr behind a singer.:p

I’ve rejoined a band where I play keys and guitar. Very much an “icing” role where I supliment the singers rhythm guitar parts but, I’ve had to get back into the swing of playing for a whole song.

It’s a painful reminder of how fast your chops and stamina disappear if all you do is wank about on guitar around the house for a couple years.

Please tell me it’s gonna be something like this?

Back