Friday Morning Vent Session

Draconomics

Fearless Papa of The Brethren of the Crust
So... forgive me for posting, but I just needed to vent some frustrations.

I've recently assumed leadership of the band I joined a year ago, and we've been looking for a female vocalist to complement our lead male singer. He's the sweetest guy, but he's a bit older and has a very busy schedule, but he comes to practice. The idea was to give him someone to play off of and to share the workload.

We got contacted by this gal who wanted to join. Great! Exactly what we needed. However, she never got back to us to set up an audition. I reached out thru her Instagram. Zilch. I finally messaged her saying I had to move on since she was not responding. Well, that got a response. I got her number. Great, so I message her songs to work on for her audition. No response. I call her, and that seemed promising, so all seemed well.

Rehearsal day comes, she messages me. Her car broke down. No problem, things happen, move the audition to next week. I say just call me to reschedule. I wait five days for a callback...zilch. I call her, convo was good, she would call the next Monday and give me an update. Monday comes, zilch. You see a pattern here? I call two days later, she can't talk, going to work. Says to call next day before 2pm. I do this, she can't talk, has an appointment, will call me later that day. Ok fine. Now, Let me say it takes a lot to piss me off, but the straw that broke my back was when my rhythm guitar player, and guy who made the group to begin with, and a guy with over fifty years experience in live playing sends her a lovely welcome message, and got ignored. Message her yesterday night, she now tells me she's too busy and it won't work out. Yes, I can see that. Even Ray Charles can see that. Thank you so much for stringing me along for three weeks.

The TLDR and moral of the story is this: there are 24 hours in a day, or 1440 minutes, or 86,400 seconds. If you can't take fifteen seconds to make a phone call or to check messages that you are expecting, you shouldn't be playing with a band period. Don't chase people down, just let them go. No musician is worth doing that for.

I would have moved on after the second paragraph. ;-) You're a patient, trusting guy.
Perhaps too patient. As usual with people in my family, we are super patient and understanding, but the minute we reach the end of our rope or feel like we got a runaround, you're dead to us.

I stopped putting up with people's crap like this a long, long, time ago. She would have been done after the second fail. I can forgive the first one if there was a good reason. After the second screw up and ghosting, I would have moved on and not even tried to contact her again. If she ever contacted me again I would just say we moved on to find someone reliable.

When we were auditioning singers in a couple of bands I ran, we set up auditions for multiple people on the same day and with only about a half hour in between them. That way they got to see that others are there trying to get the spot too. Some of them even got to hear others singing and knew what they had to compete with. This always produced at least one good choice for the bands.

Flakes...
The struggle is real.
I feel your pain.
Flakes - Frank Zappa (he speaks the truth!)

Flakes, flakes
Flakes, flakes
They don't do no good
They never be workin' when they oughta should
They waste your time
They're wastin' mine
California's got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them

Flakes - Frank Zappa (he speaks the truth!)

Flakes, flakes
Flakes, flakes
They don't do no good
They never be workin' when they oughta should
They waste your time
They're wastin' mine
California's got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them
Go figure, I'm in California.

Resentment is like drinking poison, and hoping the other person suffers. If people don't return your phone calls, be thankful they're not trying to return a busted laptop.
Busted laptop returns and repairs are just the best. Thankfully I've never had to tear one down, it looks like a nightmare.

an unfortunate side to our Musician lives is flaky people, ( hence my previous no show rant) I'm a pretty nice guy , I'll give everyone a second chance to work TOGETHER .. but if that doesn't work .. Life is far too short to put up with them ...

an unfortunate side to our Musician lives is flaky people, ( hence my previous no show rant) I'm a pretty nice guy , I'll give everyone a second chance to work TOGETHER .. but if that doesn't work .. Life is far too short to put up with them ...
Yup. Its just discourteous to ghost someone trying to make an audition happen especially when the person doing the ghosting was the one that wanted an audition in the first place.

Back